Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Andy Naylor is leaving

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Without wanting to be patronising: watching, understanding and interpreting game while writing 400 words which have to be ready to send the minute the final whistle blows is a MASSIVE skill. Then you need immediately to go and interview a manager or players and get several stories out of them. You need more than semi-literacy.

You're not patronising at all. You're merely pointing out something to someone who doesn't know what he's on about.

We've sat in the Press Box at certain games recently, and the concentration and work they are all putting in (with the exception of the blokes from the Irish Times at Selhurst - Jesus wept) - especially with a running story happening at great pace around them all the time (from 1pm through to 7pm for 3pm games) is astonishing.

I challenge anyone to do all that on the hoof, especially if they are merely 'semi-literate'.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Still not quite forgiven him for his "Albion legend set to return" teaser though, which had us all thinking Bobby was on the way back when it turned out to be bloody Hammond. That really pissed on my chips, I can tell you.

But then he did go on to tell us that Bobby would never return to BHAFC a few months before.....err.........Bobby returned to BHAFC. Finger on the pulse!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Compared to a sky tv subscription the price of the US thing is a drop in the ocean, and the amount of time we spend on devices a one stop shop for decent sports journalism will surely have a market. Indeed for those that gamble a bit of insight might result in more winnings - the thing could pay for itself.

The only time I read a paper is in the barbers.

I'm not entirely sure what added value The Athletic hopes to be able to offer.

In the United States, there is daily access to players and coaches. That doesn't happen here. Players are available on a very limited basis after matches and sometimes (but not at every club) at pre-match press conferences. The player quotes are usually held back a day so that there is some follow-up material available for the day after a match report appears.

I understand The Athletic expects something more like their American operation, which will be difficult to deliver, especially if they want quotes available quickly. The whisper is that they will instruct their writers to disregard the embargoes on quotes that the national papers' writers agree on. That will set the Athletic writers against their former colleagues. But it will also mean that they use up all their material at once and have nothing left between matches.

Interesting times ahead for the sports writing profession.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
I'm quite sad Andy is going.

I've supported the Albion since the early 70s and in that time I think I'm right in saying there's been just two Argus journos with principle responsibility for covering the club - the legendary John Vinicombe then Naylor. Quite extraordinary really.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

In the United States, there is daily access to players and coaches. That doesn't happen here. Players are available on a very limited basis after matches and sometimes (but not at every club) at pre-match press conferences. The player quotes are usually held back a day so that there is some follow-up material available for the day after a match report appears.

I understand The Athletic expects something more like their American operation, which will be difficult to deliver, especially if they want quotes available quickly. The whisper is that they will instruct their writers to disregard the embargoes on quotes that the national papers' writers agree on. That will set the Athletic writers against their former colleagues. But it will also mean that they use up all their material at once and have nothing left between matches.

It looks like an NBC version of The Blizzard tbh...

The whole point of which is that it allows top journalists to publish long-form pieces that wouldn't normally get through the papers. The Athletic seems as though they are publishing the stuff that would get through to the papers but with a little more breathing space.

No real need for it in the UK but perhaps there is a market for it in the US (with it still being a relatively niche sport).

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
?? The $ model of the Athletic (if it turns out to be similar/and featuring journalists like AN) is according to that piece $60 per year. or $5 a month.
PS: actually there seem to be various payment models: https://theathletic.com/

It was mentioned that they charged $9.99 a month. I have no idea what the correct figure is.

This was quite well-covered in a recent piece I read: https://www.theringer.com/sports/20...g-embargo-access-champions-league-independent

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Plans for the Athletic are gathering apace.
Sounds like dozens of journalists now signed up including Andy Naylor
"They’re banking on a passionate football supporter willing to fork out £4 a month for some scoops about their team, and quality feature and match-day writing,”"
https://www.buzzfeed.com/markdistefano/athletic-hiring-spree

I'd love to know their business projections regarding how many signups they will need.

I'm sure they have done their research but with the emergence of citizen journalism in it's many guises plus the already established "free" media is there really an appetite for extra media that will be behind a pay wall.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
"They’re banking on a passionate football supporter willing to fork out £4 a month for some scoops about their team, and quality feature and match-day writing,”"

I'll give it 12 months before it goes bust unless they have deep pockets or are paying peanuts for articles

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Strikes me that relies on clubs offering that to The Athletic writer

As in the piece I linked to earlier, and as [MENTION=10202]Not Andy Naylor[/MENTION] alluded to, UK clubs don't work like that.

And if the Albion are keen on reaching Albion fans in the unofficial official way that happens right now, would they still go via Naylor, or stick with the Argus because of its local ties and subscription-free model?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'll give it 12 months before it goes bust unless they have deep pockets or are paying peanuts for articles

Is this Athletic thing being promoted internationally? Given someone in the US actually paid money to buy the rights to that Austrian friendly there certainly seems to be interest in areas, and for products, I hadn’t expected.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton

I think twice before my netflix each month, they have a long wait in hell for that much.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
I am currently in Caribbean
When I search / go to the athlete on line
It gives USA/Canada terms and conditions + $4.99 per month
So I guess it is up and running in USA.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
I am currently in Caribbean
When I search / go to the athlete on line
It gives USA/Canada terms and conditions + $4.99 per month
So I guess it is up and running in USA.

I think that's the North American version, the one being discussed here is the UK version.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here