Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Love Island 2019 - official NSC thread

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Obviously it appears to have been at far too much expense when you look at the fact we've had 2 suicides and a 3rd when you include the partner of one of the suicides.

This is the thing I find odd.

The Jeremy Kyle show must feature 100's of 'guests' every year. One guest commits suicide and the show, quite rightly, is cancelled.

Love Island features 20 (?) or so participants every year. Two have committed suicide and a partner of one of the suicides has also killed themselves. Yet it remains a flagship ITV show. The advertising revenue must be too good to bin it off, regardless of the carnage it leaves in its wake.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Very good TV last night. The Amy and Curtis dumping at the end was excellent drama, reminded me of when Neighbours was good back in the day with Charlene and Scott - 'Just rip the band aid off.. "

You've got love our Amy, she has come across really well lately, the producers just need to put a decent fella in for her.

How the hell has Anna not got dogs abuse from everyone? She is an absolute horror show!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

The Jeremy Kyle show must feature 100's of 'guests' every year. One guest commits suicide and the show, quite rightly, is cancelled.

Love Island features 20 (?) or so participants every year. Two have committed suicide and a partner of one of the suicides has also killed themselves. Yet it remains a flagship ITV show. The advertising revenue must be too good to bin it off, regardless of the carnage it leaves in its wake.

I think the link was far more direct with the Jeremy Kyle thing, as it was so immediate. We have footballers suffering from depression, and even commit suicide, while we continue to ramp up the supposed importance of what is after all, just a game, a form of entertainment. But the link is a bit more tenuous than when a guy faced with a bad reveal about him that he thinks will ruin his life forever taking his own life within hours.

I don't know the rationale, I'm just guessing. If someone was binned off Love Island in a big bust-up and was found to have committed suicide before the episode aired, then I'm sure it would be off the air as quickly as Jeremy Kyle was.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yes but she has has not left as such, yet........

Think his keyboard has broken half way through his post, or he is deliberately attention seeking

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Personally I agree with [MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION] even if he has posted too many times on here. I've only made one post on this thread until now, and only came back on it because my wife told me she'd seen something suggesting Amy was an absolute mess after recent events.

It is a shit programme and I hope it gets binned off because it messes with stupid but nevertheless real people lives. There's nothing remotely clever or worthwhile appearing on it - it's an awful premise.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It is a shit programme and I hope it gets binned off because it messes with stupid but nevertheless real people lives. There's nothing remotely clever or worthwhile appearing on it - it's an awful premise.

But you don't watch it so how can you know?

Really - it doesn't do anything like you are making out. 'It messes with real people lives' - I'm not sure that is true, most people are never really 'in a relationship' and very few carry on when they get out. It's just a silly reality show.

I'd even go as far as to suggest much of what we have seen last year is slightly scripted, or re-recorded for dramatic purposes.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007

Really - it doesn't do anything like you are making out. 'It messes with real people lives' - I'm not sure that is true, most people are never really 'in a relationship' and very few carry on when they get out. It's just a silly reality show.

I'd even go as far as to suggest much of what we have seen last year is slightly scripted, or re-recorded for dramatic purposes.

Slightly flies in the face of the reporting just above of Lenny's daughter seeking psychiatric help don't you think??!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Slightly flies in the face of the reporting just above of Lenny's daughter seeking psychiatric help don't you think??!

Did she seek it? Or did the producers offer it given what happened this week?

And was that just a chat with a 'councillor' type or was she sectioned like the tone of some press (Daily Mail) reports suggest?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

People said that about the Jeremy Kyle show. As I understand it, Amy Hart was in bits over some shenanigans and yet this show lays it all bare for anyone and everyone to laugh at. How is that healthy?

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007

And was that just a chat with a 'councillor' type or was she sectioned like the tone of some press (Daily Mail) reports suggest?

I haven't a clue, but counselling is psychiatric help, and clearly she's in a pretty awful place on the modern day Truman Show.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Not to mention suicides. It’s a shit program. Hideously shit. I hope it gets binned off as well.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Producers just covering their arses. They don't give a shit about these kids, they're just cranking up the Jeremy Kyle style bear-baiting to keep the advertisers happy and the publicity flowing. Vile programme.

Shopes

Jan 3, 2018

I think it's a chat with a therapist and to get them away from the villa for a bit. Laura (from last season) did the same after being dumped a couple of times.

In hindsight, they probably shouldn't have allowed someone who's never had a proper relationship to be on the show.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I think it's a chat with a therapist and to get them away from the villa for a bit. Laura (from last season) did the same after being dumped a couple of times.

In hindsight, they probably shouldn't have allowed someone who's never had a proper relationship to be on the show.

In all honesty, I agree - that is the bigger issue here than the show / format of the show

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

And I presume there’s other, lesser, issues which are not reported. I struggle to believe it’s just 3 suicides. I’d be interested to hear how others have faired; it can’t be easy knowing that whatever you have done on that show will be out there on the internet for the rest of your life.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here