Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Bluebells, are they out yet?

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
6D449154-F22D-4943-B734-2820828E5DC5.jpeg

Took this last year. Spithandle lane. Not quite there yet this year.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
When my dog went awol on our walk once I found her having a nosey around in a small clearing amongst some trees, I then stumbled across some White Bluebells ( only 2 plants). Having never seen white ones I was quite chuffed about these and went back every spring to if they had bloomed. It's now 4 Springs since I last visited them and because of this thread I am going back to have a little peek to see if they're there.

When my dog went awol on our walk once I found her having a nosey around in a small clearing amongst some trees, I then stumbled across some White Bluebells ( only 2 plants). Having never seen white ones I was quite chuffed about these and went back every spring to if they had bloomed. It's now 4 Springs since I last visited them and because of this thread I am going back to have a little peek to see if they're there.

Have some in our garden.???

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

A patch of white ones already at the Amex end of the Falmer Woods (Coldean Lane side).

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Bloody Spanish Bluebells, coming over 'ere, taking our forest floor!
https://www.bbowt.org.uk/blog/kate-titford/how-tell-native-bluebell-rest

Last autumn I planted (bought legitimately) Hyacinthoides non-scripta (native bluebell) bulbs in our borders.

They’ve struggled this first time around, I think because we have nutrient starved, thin chalky downland, bone dry soil. Rather than their favoured damp woodland setting. The foliage has grown ok, but the flowering has been weak to say the least.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

White Bluebells ??? Surely they are called Whitebells :)

Skuller

Jun 3, 2017
I went to Abbots' Wood near Arlington today. The bluebells aren't out yet, but the primroses and wood anemones are.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Last autumn I planted (bought legitimately) Hyacinthoides non-scripta (native bluebell) bulbs in our borders.

They’ve struggled this first time around, I think because we have nutrient starved, thin chalky downland, bone dry soil. Rather than their favoured damp woodland setting. The foliage has grown ok, but the flowering has been weak to say the least.

If you planted dry bulbs in the autumn, they don't tend to take so well as ones planted "In the green," which is to dig clumps up whilst in flower or shortly after they've flowered, split them up and re-plant them. If it was the former, the bulbs may not have been quite big or old enough to flower this year? You should get a better show year on year as the seeds get going. They take at least four years to reach the flowering stage. Your soil could also well be a factor with what you say. If they are in a hot part of the garden getting baked, you could move them to a shady area after they've finished flowering?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here