Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] I don't like football any more.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I don't really understand why people get put off football by player wages. As long as they're putting the effort in on the pitch, why does it matter?

VAR, on the other hand, is a threat to the game. There should be rules on it, such as the captain of each team is the only person allowed to ask for VAR, and they lose the option if they are wrong once or twice

That would be far too sensible! Yes, like cricket there should be a set number of appeals for each team.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I hate VAR and wish it would be binned. It is taking so much away from the game. There is just no need for it, so what if some decisions are wrong and officials make mistakes? Players and managers do too, it’s part of the game.

We’ve managed for long enough without it, I can’t see that it is bringing anything positive to football. Even the decisions it overturns and gives ‘correctly’ are quite often against the spirit of the game like handball and goalies moving off the line at penalties etc. Slow motion replays and image stills quite often totally distort the reality of the situation.

I’m all for change when it moves the game forward like goal line technology but this has far too many flaws to make it a positive change. The benefits are totally outnumbered by the negatives.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
AND ANOTHER THING.

This POXY VAR nonsense has now meant that LINESPEOPLE are now TOO SCARED to raise their BLOODY FLAG until 'conclusion' of the 'phase'.

It's INSANE. You have players MILES offside.....looking at the linesman who isn't daring to raise their flag...and then the player proceeds to think "****, maybe I am onside!", then runs to the ball....and then the idiot linesman raises the flag!

Kill it. Kill it in the head.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
If it's implemented how it sounds it will be, next season there is gonna be games with 3, 4, even 5 pens. And agree- it also means skilful players will be looking to hit defenders with the ball...basically the new diving. Great.

As an aside, do we know how many more/less goals we'd have scored/conceded last season if VAR was in place?

I dont blame the players if they do aim for the arm, why wouldn't they?

Player running into a dead end on edge of the box options are:

1. Be tackled
2. take a pot shot at someones arm and win a pen

what would you do?

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
I dont blame the players if they do aim for the arm, why wouldn't they?

Player running into a dead end on edge of the box options are:

1. Be tackled
2. take a pot shot at someones arm and win a pen

what would you do?

I'd try and win a penalty, especially as it wouldn't even be deemed cheating. It's no different from hitting it off the player for a corner, just now you have a decent chance of getting a pen.

Sad to think that in a few years time kiddies might actually be trained in this very skill.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Funnily enough I was recently thinking about football having a 'Glastonbury style' year/whole season off every once in a while. I honestly believe it'd be less missed than you'd think, passions rekindled and all that when it returned. Obviously it wouldn't work for many reasons, but...

I find an international break too much.....

Re the OP, I’m fence re VAR, but think some of the new rules are a step too far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I'd try and win a penalty, especially as it wouldn't even be deemed cheating. It's no different from hitting it off the player for a corner, just now you have a decent chance of getting a pen.

Sad to think that in a few years time kiddies might actually be trained in this very skill.

Quite, its an absolutely ridiculous rule - they need to kill it asap.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I hate VAR and wish it would be binned. It is taking so much away from the game. There is just no need for it, so what if some decisions are wrong and officials make mistakes? Players and managers do too, it’s part of the game.

We’ve managed for long enough without it, I can’t see that it is bringing anything positive to football. Even the decisions it overturns and gives ‘correctly’ are quite often against the spirit of the game like handball and goalies moving off the line at penalties etc. Slow motion replays and image stills quite often totally distort the reality of the situation.

I’m all for change when it moves the game forward like goal line technology but this has far too many flaws to make it a positive change. The benefits are totally outnumbered by the negatives.

I'm with you on this one. I like goal line tech for a clear 'was it over the line or not' issue but so much of VAR is still a referees interpretation which it always has been anyway.

The reason it's being brought in though is all down to money. Football to me is a game and I'd prefer it if we win but can accept it if we lose (even via a dodgy decision), but now due to all the cameras and replays and the fact that every decision is analysed to the nth degree by the TV companies, every decision made has a dollar value attached to it. See Warnock going off on one last season after Chelsea's offside equaliser in Cardiff. Yes, it was a poor bit of officiating by the ref and his linesmen, but that can happen, and I for one can accept being on the wrong end of decisions. It's why we have forums like this to discuss things, and why I love chatting with my mates about the matches in the pub on a Saturday night. Warnock has declared that the Chelsea decision has effectively cost them relegation and the loss of umpteen millions in lost revenue, and this is the problem I have with so much over analysis. Everything is a 'business decision' and football is rapidly losing it's essence as a 'game' to play, watch, and enjoy.

Unfortunately money talks and to me that is a large reason VAR has been brought in, and perhaps we have effectively brought this on ourselves. The only counter balance for me is that when the Albion are away I go and support my local county side, which perversely I get more enjoyment from with no need for cameras and endless discussion - just local lads playing the game as it was meant to be.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
AND ANOTHER THING.

This POXY VAR nonsense has now meant that LINESPEOPLE are now TOO SCARED to raise their BLOODY FLAG until 'conclusion' of the 'phase'.

It's INSANE. You have players MILES offside.....looking at the linesman who isn't daring to raise their flag...and then the player proceeds to think "****, maybe I am onside!", then runs to the ball....and then the idiot linesman raises the flag!

Kill it. Kill it in the head.

I thought that the other night when a player from Argentina was miles off side and the lino kept her flag down , to whit everyone starts to rush towards the ball...the argie gets there first by a hairsbreath and the Lino sticks her fecking flag up for something that happened ages ago.

Bye that time everyone stopped and argued the toss!

Madness

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Well, it's the same rules, just enforced differently. The same as it has always been. "That is a foul in europe" etc.

It’s a different set of rules in all but name. Bit like saying players can be offside, just no linesman there to flag

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Well, that might be an exaggeration but it's getting a bit like that.

I've just been watching a fairly mediocre game between Argentina and Paraguay. Not a great game but that isn't what got to me. I just don't like the way the game is being messed about with.

With Paraguay winning 1-0 five minutes after half-time, Aguerro pulls the ball back to Martinez and the Argie gets off a shot which hits the bar. The rebound comes to Messi, whose shot is well saved by the goalie, who pushes it round the post for a corner.

I timed what happened next. We have 58 seconds of Messi lining up to take the corner and the ref sorting out the players pushing in the box as per usual at a corner. After the 58 seconds, the ref sticks his finger in his ear and indicates to Messi to wait on the corner. No-one seems to have a clue what is going on, certainly not the commentator or the crowd, who are whistling. But the ref is clearly talking to the VAR folks.

Then, 2 minutes and 7 seconds after the shot, the ref indicates he's going to look at the VAR screen.

A minute later, he comes back and signals penalty to the Argies and gives a yellow card to a defender for handball. Slow motion replays are highly inconclusive in my view. If the shot from Martinez did brush his arm it caused no spin on the ball as far as I could see,so must have been the tiniest of touches.

Then, more than five minutes after the incident, Messi steps up and scores the penalty he never even appealed for.

To add to my discontent, a few minutes later, a Paraguay forward was chopped down in the box and a penalty was given without need for VAR. Yet there was no yellow card to the offender. So you get a yellow card for a handball no-one saw and which certainly was in no way deliberate, but no card for a deliberate foul in the penalty area. Makes no sense to me.

The Paraguay penalty is then well-saved by the Argie goalie, but I half expected VAR to announce a few minutes later that the goalie's heel was 2mm off the line when the ball was kicked - didn't happen.

What has happened to football? It used to be common sense and it was clear to everyone what was going on. Not any more. This season is going to be horrible, thanks to VAR.

Sorry if it’s been covered but how much stoppage time was added on?

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What I advocated a long time ago is for FIFA to have paid a minor European league to be the guinea pig for a season-long trial of VAR where all of the glitches could have been ironed out over a large number of matches.

They could have paid £24 million to - say - the SPL in Scotland - so £2 million per club - and applied VAR over all the 228 matches. By the end of the season over that many matches they would have encounter 95%+of the problems it is possible to encounter with VAR, then they could roll it out across the world.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Foul throws, penalties scored but recalled because of attacking player encroachment (and vice versa), offside by a millimetre, plus monitoring the new rules that add absolutely nothing to the game. The whole VAR thing is a bloody mess caused by bureaucrats trying to justify their existence. Too many associations trying to impose their own agendas. Too much money. Yep, it’s moved on from being a funny old game, but not in the right direction.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I still think VAR was the right way to go but based on rectifying clear and obvious errors.

We're now getting decisions overturned on wafer-thin evidence, not only that but the more precise you try and become the longer it takes the officials to reach a decision. The Scotland-Argentina match the other night was VAR at its worst, a veritable officiating nightmare.

Cricket has VAR but still has umpire's call. Rugby Union has VAR but doesn't try to adjudicate on borderline forward passes. These sports get it and it is about time FIFA adopted some best practice to preserve the integrity of football.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here