Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] 75th Anniversary of D-Day

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
This doesn't make sense because a) Garry Nelson's Teacher wasn't trying to score any political points, and b) I can't think of anything representing the failure of politics more than the second world war where the ideologies of facism, communism and liberal democracy slugged it out.

I will make a political point though: the EU has been largely responsible for 75 years of peace in Europe.

He was point-scoring with his anti-Trump stuff,and if that ain't political,you're a genius.EU nothing to do with peace for 75 years.Utter tripe,as it hasn't existed for 75 years and we have NATO to thank for peace.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Anyway, back on topic....

Got my half day sorted, pub lunch booked up at Beachy Head, & camera at the ready for the flypast. Will be standing up by the Bomber Command memorial, so it'll be a spine tingler as they all go over I reckon.

Read on the official website earlier that over 30 Dakotas should be making the trip across the Channel, accompanied by fighters. Will be amazing to see if thats the case.

Last edited:

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Anyway, back on topic....

Got my half day sorted, pub lunch booked up at Beachy Head, & camera at the ready for the flypast. Will be standing up by the Bomber Command memorial, so it'll be a spine tingler as they all go over I reckon.

Read on the official website earlier that over 30 Dakotas should be making the trip across the Channel, accompanied by fighters. Will be amazing to see if thats the case.

Hoping to catch this when flies over Kent too. Be an amazing sight

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
My dad went. He got shot on the beach. He recovered after hospitalisation. He went on to Germany.

When he left for Sword he gave the little money he had in his pocket to some children. Didn’t think he was coming back.

I’ll be giving quiet thought to him on this, as on all other anniversaries. And to all of those who went, probably thinking the same.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Glad to hear of the flypast at Beachy Head I will definitely get up there.

Fwiw my dad was 23 soon after D-day (13th June and drove an APC and was known as a Rock-ape in The RAF Regiment. Whilst he didn't see any action on D-day itself he had some pretty hairy moments on his travels across Europe. His description of the rocketing of Antwerp I've seen replicated almost word for word as to what happened in the port city. Like a lot of his generation though he played it down and from his conversations with my mother and sisters the whole thing sounded like fun time. He opened up to me more in the days before his death.

RIP Dad.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Last edited:

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
If you have 15 minutes spare, these are a good watch / listen / read over a cup of coffee. All about the landings by veterans in their own words, and the French who were liberated....plus the conservation of D Day relics here in the South.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/w3csyx1y

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-48493472/witnesses-of-d-day

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-48478849

Thanks, one for my kids this evening. Never forget....

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Wonderful, wonderful scenes from Southsea common, was very fortunate to take part in the 50th anniversary in Pompey, very emotional. What a generation these Men and Women truly are, bless them all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
It was good to see the excerpt from 'Pressure', they reassembled the cast from the London Production I saw last year (in the middle of the heatwave from memory). A fascinating play and of course based upon the truth.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Very moving, left me tears thinking about all those poor young people that died.

Lets hope it gives the current and next generation focus on keeping the Peace in Europe.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Having seen Trump's helicopters over London I'm glad up down in Sussex today to see some real military planes.

Apparently flying directly over Burwash at some point.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
On anniversaries such as this, I prefer to focus solely on the event and those involved. My thoughts do not stray into what Trump is up to or what they are up to on Love Island or the people who watch it.

However, for some context before both world wars there were plenty of sections of society engaged in what were viewed as frivolous pastimes. Dancing, motor racing, Jazz clubs ,gambling and drinking. They all stepped up when required. I also think those that lived through the horrors of war would rather see their grand children safe in their living rooms watching TV than in a trench avoiding getting dismembered by a mortar.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here