Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton statement

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I'm sure it makes no difference whether it's a sacking or mutual consent. In either case you'd get your contract paid up.

Poyet was different because he was sacked for gross misconduct and that would mean no pay off.

If you and I have a contract with each other, and one of us breaks it, the other has a claim against that breach of contract, if we mutually agree to tear that contract up, there is not.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I really thought TB would keep CH even if we got relegated.. glad I was wrong.
Chris couldn't adapt his tactics to the premier league a little better with the resources he had. I liked him.

Just a thought, He didn't keep us up, The shittier teams below us did that for us.

If you check the premier league standing history over the last 10 years. We would of been relegated 3 times on those points.

I think he would have kept him if we had been relegated.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think he would have kept him if we had been relegated.

Agree....after Bournemouth or Cardiff, I reckon TB decided that he had to go if we stayed up, but if we went down he’d keep him. Partly why the decision was left until the end of the season, and why CH was ‘surprised’ because TB wouldn’t have wanted to give him an inkling in case we went down.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Agree....after Bournemouth or Cardiff, I reckon TB decided that he had to go if we stayed up, but if we went down he’d keep him. Partly why the decision was left until the end of the season, and why CH was ‘surprised’ because TB wouldn’t have wanted to give him an inkling in case we went down.

Couldn't really say, "If you want to keep your job, get relegated"

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I have come to the conclusion that Chris is actually a poor communicator which he hides by saying nothing and changing nothing. He has a performance model that never varies and a pre-match, post match set of comments that never varies apart from the names. Everything he says and does follows the same script and pattern. How many times have the great and the good of NSC parodied his words. Apart from changing the names and perhaps including 'surprised', I wonder if he took this statement out of a drawer from previous sackings. Full marks for creating this persona, but it eventually wears thin and appeals only to those who don't have to work with it every day, hence the love fest outside of Brighton. However I am grateful for what he achieved with us.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Of course CH was acutely aware of our results and performances. Probably more than anyone. Its like saying that fans or indeed journalists, that think Bloom has made a mistake, couldn't possibly have watched a game in 6 months or be aware of the form table. Bloom is not known to be a trigger happy chairman, had given Chris no idea, and Hughton had after everything kept Albion up (his target) so of course he's right to be surprised at being sacked. Few saw it coming. Even the more vocal "Hughton out" constituency on here.

This is just rewriting history. Like [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION], I moved into the Hughton out camp in April, and was calling for Hughton to go at the end of the season, and for Bloom to give us the opportunity to give our thanks to Chris for all he'd done for us. He's been brilliant for us, but all good things come to an end. And, in my view, Bloom got the timing right. As Bloom said, 3 wins out of 23 wasn't sustainable. Nor was two wins in 2019. Nor was the dreadful football we got subjected to from Feb 2019 onwards. And that first half performance against Newcastle. It was the definition of awful. Thankfully Solly came on and sorted it out.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If you and I have a contract with each other, and one of us breaks it, the other has a claim against that breach of contract, if we mutually agree to tear that contract up, there is not.

I think you're reading too much into that leaving on a mutual basis is not the same as tearing up a contract. Do you honestly think that in every case where managers have left on mutual consent they haven't had a pay-off?

Also, you would only tear up a contract if it is mutually beneficial to both sides.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I have come to the conclusion that Chris is actually a poor communicator which he hides by saying nothing and changing nothing. He has a performance model that never varies and a pre-match, post match set of comments that never varies apart from the names. Everything he says and does follows the same script and pattern. How many times have the great and the good of NSC parodied his words. Apart from changing the names and perhaps including 'surprised', I wonder if he took this statement out of a drawer from previous sackings. Full marks for creating this persona, but it eventually wears thin and appeals only to those who don't have to work with it every day, hence the love fest outside of Brighton. However I am grateful for what he achieved with us.

This is what I think too.
I really am still 50/50 and I do feel sorry for him.
His remit must have been keep us in The PL, he did that and an FA Cup semi final, enough to keep his job I would have thought.
But since Christmas we have been crap, the Newcastle game was the one that finished me off and it was getting embarrassing.
Other teams knew how to play us and we changed nothing and we had no pace.
But where he really went wrong was the pre and post match interviews, he belittled the players and the club, but I don't think he meant to, it certainly made my piss boil and aslo Tony Bloom.
You don't do that when the boss is a massive fan.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Of course he has, and I don't think anybody is suggesting otherwise??

I've every respect for Chris Hughton. Decent bloke and a decent football manager.

All I meant was that the STATEMENT itself was pointless, in that it basically says nothing :shrug:

And, after four and a half years, you were expecting for a Hughton STATEMENT to say something :shrug:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
This is just rewriting history. Like [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION], I moved into the Hughton out camp in April, and was calling for Hughton to go at the end of the season, and for Bloom to give us the opportunity to give our thanks to Chris for all he'd done for us. He's been brilliant for us, but all good things come to an end. And, in my view, Bloom got the timing right. As Bloom said, 3 wins out of 23 wasn't sustainable. Nor was two wins in 2019. Nor was the dreadful football we got subjected to from Feb 2019 onwards. And that first half performance against Newcastle. It was the definition of awful. Thankfully Solly came on and sorted it out.

Yep. I remember how poor it was. I was there. And I remember plenty of well argued calls on here saying it was the right time for him to go. Eventually echoed by TBs statement on that Monday.
What I don’t remember, thus the surprise for fans and as it turned out Hughton himself , was the expectation that Bloom would actually do it. Just. Like. That.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Hmm. A target like "Retain our PL status" is unambiguous - like any decent target should be, it's totally not open to interpretation.

I think it's far more likely (as others have said) that TB decided that Chris was a) unlikely to repeat the feat next season and that anyway b) he wanted a different type of football played next year - which is why he recruited Dan Ashworth in Sept 2018 (although he didn't start until Feb this year).

IF this is correct, and IF Tony didn't tell Chris either of these things, then it's reasonable for Chris to be "surprised".

I think it was a), and that you're looking too much into (the second bit of) b). Although DA was recruited in Sept 2018, I suspect that Bloom had been targeting him for far longer. He's admitted that he's been following Potter for four years. Liam Rosenior wrote about Potter 18 months ago. There is also that Barber-England connection, reinforced by Paul Nevin's stint with the national team.
Bloom thinks in the long term, and it's likely that was also the case with DA.

PS I think you're spot on with your assessment of Knockaert.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
That's setting the bar very low. Are you sure maintaining PL status wasn't just the minimum requirement and the target might be something higher?

On a bottom three budget? Not really, perhaps a decent cup run and make sure you beat Palace too?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here