Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Bands who were ridiculed for being unoriginal or shite, but years later sound brilliant

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
Blimey, that's a bit harsh. Nick Kent was not only a full-time writer for NME, he's one of the few genuinely talented writers from the rock press. His appreciation of Nick Drake, written just after his death, is, in turn, moving and insightful - and made me want to listen to Drake. Kent was a superb writer - a wreck of a human being, by all accounts, but a superb writer.
Well, his genuine talent didn't go as far as to predict how important Motorhead would become and the longevity of the bands career.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Well, his genuine talent didn't go as far as to predict how important Motorhead would become and the longevity of the bands career.

Not being a Motorhead devotee, I wasn't aware of what Kent said about them, so I looked it up. He actually wrote "the best worst band in the world" - very different from your version. It has the same ring as George Orwell's famous "good bad books" - books that have no literary pretensions but have real longevity. That's not too bad a description for Motorhead.

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
Not being a Motorhead devotee, I wasn't aware of what Kent said about them, so I looked it up. He actually wrote "the best worst band in the world" - very different from your version. It has the same ring as George Orwell's famous "good bad books" - books that have no literary pretensions but have real longevity. That's not too bad a description for Motorhead.
In that case I stand corrected my friend although it's not just my version, however I'm happy to be put right. I like your Orwell comparison too. Fair play.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Fot those complaining I post stuff nobody has heard of....For a music snob like me I would have dismissed this as cheesy pop shite back in the day. Bloody love it now. Had the pleasure of seeing them in London 10 years ago (feels like yesterday). The singer is a very camp and sweary scouser :laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4Xo3sWd294

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Here is a band who had a few minutes of positive reviews in the late 80s then slowly disintegrated over the next 5 years. I had never heard of them till recently. I bought all their stuff and it all stands up. R.I.P Craig :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC4M_DUx4to

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This would have had me running for the hills back in the day, and it was easy for me to dismiss them as right wing wankers. Pomp rock. Don't watch the vid as they do look a ****ing sight. The track though is bloody brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auLBLk4ibAk

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Bros according to the media.

Although I thought they were shite the first time and just as shite now.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Got to repost a track by these lovely boys. I am not sure why they dissapeared down the plug hole, but there it is. I would have laughed out loud at the vocals in 1987 - Kirk Brandon crossed with Ian Astbury - ha ha (wanker) etc. Now I think - brilliant!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFR6IefzZGk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
:lolol: Not by me

I’m with you on that. Detested the music of Duran Duran then and now, hated the awful Le Bon vocals. They cashed in commercially on a genre of music pioneered by a stack of beautiful new wave bands who’d led the way. You’re never hear decent bands saying that Duran Duran inspired them.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This lot would have been laughed out of town. Right now this is completely up my street. English sung by a non English speaker? Jangly guitar? Melody? Extreme earnestness? Mts Tackle shaking her head sadly, but with an indulgent smile? I'm IN!!! :lolol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Haf0G11749M

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The uncensored Girls On Film springs to mind :thumbsup:

Indeed.

Check out the Belouis Some 'Imagination' (long version) video too, for some 80s tastic artistry :blush:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’m with you on that. Detested the music of Duran Duran then and now, hated the awful Le Bon vocals. They cashed in commercially on a genre of music pioneered by a stack of beautiful new wave bands who’d led the way. You’re never hear decent bands saying that Duran Duran inspired them.

Snob.

:lolol:

:bowdown:

(very true regarding imitation and inspiration to others)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sorry but just have to post some more Paralysed Age. When you have stopped laughing, and confessing that anyone admitting to liking this would have been slapped around in the school playground until they begged for mercy back in the day (actually, on any day), I dare to you say this isn't the absolute dogs bollocks. Suspend your disbelief. I think what I really want is my own radio programme :lolol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY7yGDIP0RY

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Snob.

:lolol:

:bowdown:

(very true regarding imitation and inspiration to others)

I love pop including Europop probably far more than most, including the odd track by “naff” artists despised by others. But they generally have no pretentions of musical grandeur.

DD were in it for the fame, women and money (not bad choices at all :smile:), but after copying the ideas of others and with a faux ground-breaking angle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here