Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Emiliano Sala [signed by Cardiff, confirmed to have been on missing aircraft]

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Pay £15M quid for an asset? Look after it. Don't just let it jump in a plane held together with stick-back plastic sub-contracted to the friend of a friend of an agent or whatnot.

Simply, this (although it won’t be that simple, clearly). Once he’d signed, he was Cardiff’s asset, and it was up to Cardiff to protect that asset - you’d expect through suitable insurance. As far as Nantes are concerned he’d been sold.

Only get-outs would presumably be any part of the fee based on performance-related aspects such as appearances, goals etc.

Quite possible only the lawyers are going to win here now (and the parasitic agents).

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
Pay £15M quid for an asset? Look after it. Don't just let it jump in a plane held together with stick-back plastic sub-contracted to the friend of a friend of an agent or whatnot.

On the face of it, the player or the agent declined Cardiff’s transport arrangements, sadly resulting in Sala’s death and a significant financial loss to Cardiff. My sympathies go to his family, but I can understand how Cardiff might feel that they have somehow been “wronged”. I’m no expert on football club’s insurance arrangements, but there’s no way that I would underwrite a £15 million life assurance policy in the knowledge that the insured life was able to travel in such a manner. I’d want to load the premium massively , or, more likely, put in an exclusion.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Tragically, he'll become more of a legend in death than he probably would have been in life.

All this public airing of dirty laundry over the fees does nobody any credit whatsoever, and lacks dignity. Hopefully Cardiff pay their dues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Cardiff should be paying the full fee. They should also have at least helped with the fees to recoup his body instead of a ''public fundraising begging bowl'' to do so.

After that they should be establishing whether they have either an individual of global insurance policy which covers their loss. If there isn't they should swallow their loos and get on with it.

No use taking all the plaudits of how nice a club they are in they way that they dealt with this tragic act and then all the while seeking to avoid paying what they are due to pay.

The events are absolutely tragic but to compound them with all this tragic and underhanded dealings is truly beyond belief.

Oh and one other thing - If their Solicitor doesn't have the expertise to deal with this ''in house'' I would suggest they should sack their solicitor and find one who can

Sorry, probably didn't make myself clear. I understand most transfer fees are paid in installments so Cardiff should pay the first. They can then try and find a way to wriggle out of further payments if they are appearance related but if they can't find anyway to get out of it, and I very much doubt they can, then they should pay whats owed or suffer the consequences from the relevant authorities!

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I still think the bigger story in this tragic event is the absence of the pilot's body.

I'm no Colombo, but £23k+ CCJ debts and a trained parachutist - anyone else think he jumped to a waiting boat ....
The expensive footballing loss is creating the perfect smokescreen

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I still think the bigger story in this tragic event is the absence of the pilot's body.

I'm no Colombo, but £23k+ CCJ debts and a trained parachutist - anyone else think he jumped to a waiting boat ....
He would have had to squeeze past Sala to get to the door, which is behind the passenger seats. He drowned.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He would have had to squeeze past Sala to get to the door, which is behind the passenger seats. He drowned.

This....and if he was going to do something like that, not sure January, at night, over probably the roughest part of the English Channel (where the tide race is exceptionally strong) would be where he would choose to do it anyway.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Don't you think this type of conspiracy theory is in as bad taste as Cardiff refusing to pay their dues?

Last edited:

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
Apparently the Cardiff owner, Vincent Tan, is angry because he believes Salas agent made Cardiff pay an inflated transfer fee by falsely alleging other clubs were interested in signing Sala.

Surely an astute business man like Tan would only pay what he and his advisors thought the player was worth.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Apparently the Cardiff owner, Vincent Tan, is angry because he believes Salas agent made Cardiff pay an inflated transfer fee by falsely alleging other clubs were interested in signing Sala.

Surely an astute business man like Tan would only pay what he and his advisors thought the player was worth.

Exactly. If he is going to take that attitude then he should be reviewing every transfer they've been involved in as every agent is likely to do what they can to inflate the deal as they get a percentage of it. He may well find that he has paid inflated prices for nearly everyone but he runs the risk of alienating all the agents who might not push players his way. There may well be a better way of doing transfers without agents getting involved but at the moment, that's the system!

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Talk about how to damage your brand. If Cardiff decide to go ahead with this, whether they are right in the eyes of the law, their moral compass is all over the place!

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
If Cardiff booked his flight on a tinpot plane that flew in bad conditions then they are responsible for him under their care, but if it was his agent who booked it then I don't blame Cardiff for holding their money.

Probably the only payout will be by an insurance company but we need to find out exactly why the plane crashed first.

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
Talk about how to damage your brand. If Cardiff decide to go ahead with this, whether they are right in the eyes of the law, their moral compass is all over the place!
I don't know.

It's a s#@t unique situation. Not really sure how to play it out but not ready to stick it to Cardiff yet

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
This is exactly what I've been expecting to happen, £15million is not a small number and it was fairly clear that there are too many questions about the circumstances and too much doubt about the financial liability. Call me cynical, but I don't think there's any surprise that Cardiff want to explore the legalities of this before committing to paying out and, frankly, Nantes should understand that.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
This is exactly what I've been expecting to happen, £15million is not a small number and it was fairly clear that there are too many questions about the circumstances and too much doubt about the financial liability. Call me cynical, but I don't think there's any surprise that Cardiff want to explore the legalities of this before committing to paying out and, frankly, Nantes should understand that.

Shouldn't it be cut and dry though? From the moment he became Cardiff's player, they should be responsible for him.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

They didn’t seem too bothered about the ‘legalities’ when they were spooning on the ‘Forever a Bluebird’ schtick. They were fairly clear that he was their player then.

Shockingly poor from Cardiff.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Shouldn't it be cut and dry though? From the moment he became Cardiff's player, they should be responsible for him.

If he's not got International clearance, is he their player? Or, is it when he's cleared by the Premier League? He wasn't Premier League cleared, so was he theirs?

Also, did the flight invalidate his contract? If so, were does the liability sit in that case, with the player himself? And if the liability is with the player, do Cardiff collect the fee from his estate or do Nantes? There are probably dozens of questions being asked by all parties right now - so it makes sense not to pay any money yet but it shouldn't be played out in public. The only certainty is that playing it out in public will lead to everyone looking grubby and like a bunch of tossers.

They didn’t seem too bothered about the ‘legalities’ when they were spooning on the ‘Forever a Bluebird’ schtick. They were fairly clear that he was their player then.

And I guess Nantes will make this point as part of their claim - Cardiff were very clear in their "he was ours" message, all the wrangling now is in conflict to that position but will that mean they're financially liable?

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...

Beat me to it!

sala.jpg

sala 2.jpg

sala 3.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here