Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Vinyl records

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My first system was the Bush Arena and Garrard deck. All my mates derided as they were buying Sony and similar. It was all I could afford then but I bet I got more enjoyment than them. A few years later got a good bonus at work and bought a Bang and Olufsen in their sale. Happy Days.

I used my Dad’s Pioneer HIFI separates as a nipper, until I saved up when I was about 14 to buy my own Panasonic all in ‘music centre’. I couldn’t afford separates, but I was very aware of the brilliant Japansese and small UK companies making great separates such as Technics, Linn, Pink Triangle and the Danish B&O. In the sixth form I bought some Technics separates and an Akai tape deck (still going strong!). I used to do loads of taping off the radio and make compilations from my own vinyl. Years later I replaced most of the above with Sony, Yamaha, Rega. I’ve only ever bothered with 2 speakers, just through laziness in looking into multi speaker systems.

Rounder Records (Brighton Square) made a small fortune out of me, buying a stack of imported European and US dance and pop 12” singles and some albums.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I have stuck with vinyl but only singles as i have them is a jukebox and it don't play lp's :)
I do like to rotate them often, something real about watch the carriage go along and select the records and hearing the crackle of the needle when it hits the record. I lot nicer than just shouting "alexa play......."

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I have stuck with vinyl but only singles as i have them is a jukebox and it don't play lp's :)
I do like to rotate them often, something real about watch the carriage go along and select the records and hearing the crackle of the needle when it hits the record. I lot nicer than just shouting "alexa play......."

Brilliant. Is the jukebox from times past, or a modern replica.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Brilliant. Is the jukebox from times past, or a modern replica.

Its from the past, late 70's early 80's, but not one of them expensive Wurlitzer's
jukebox 112.jpg

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Yes - I love it.
Bought myself a second hand Bang & Olufsen turntable a couple of years ago and have been slowly adding to my collection since.

Cool. Which model? I know B&O very well.

The Tangential decks wear your vinyl less as the stylus follows the grooves at a straight angle. Also, the better the stylus the better the reproduction, and the less wear on your vinyl again.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
I started buying vinyl mid 80s and still do because I enjoy handling it and mixing it. I shipped my records over here about 12 years ago when I realized I wasn't heading back to Blighty any time soon. I've started cataloging my collection on Discogs but have only got about 400 done so far.

N17

Jun 21, 2011
Putting on a vinyl record is a bit like the Japanese tea ceremony to me.

I love the whole ritual of it.

Got rid of all my vinyl when CD's came along. Ditched CD's once I discovered Spotify. I would not be able to afford to listen to the wide variety of music that I can now explore as a consequence.

Respect the choices of others as to how they listen to their music but I really don't get the vinyl thing.

.....runs and hides :)

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Got rid of all my vinyl when CD's came along. Ditched CD's once I discovered Spotify. I would not be able to afford to listen to the wide variety of music that I can now explore as a consequence.

Respect the choices of others as to how they listen to their music but I really don't get the vinyl thing.

Yes you'd better run. :)

I use spotify, especially to explore new things. But anything I really like I try to get in vinyl. This is a fail safe system except for my last purchase of both Cape Cod albums after a few plays on spotify. I have played the vinyl once and decided I don't actually like it that much. Turns out what I really liked was Gang of Youths which was added on to spotify after Camp Cod.

True story......... And ****ing boring but I've typed it now so there is a minute of your life you won't get back....... A bit like every other minute really.

Bf

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo

I think the two (physical format vs digital) can co-exist.

I use YouTube to research a possible purchase, to validate whether a ‘lost classic’ is indeed worth ‘finding.’ On the occasion a re-issue or original pressing is just too expensive I will download as a last resort.

For me at 37 most of my generation have totally given over to digital DL culture, so I get it. I just like the journey, especially old vinyl has been on... who owned it? Who loved it? And who took it to the charity shop and why? Etc.

The most important thing however, is to love music (no matter the genre) it’s good for the soul and the mind :)

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
In order to try and enjoy the best of both worlds, it is possible in many cases (I am led to believe) to make digital, hi res copies of 180g vinyl for playback on whichever system is appropriate. Not the same as the 'ceremonial' aspect of putting on a 12" platter but all of the warmer, richer sound benefits with the digital portability.

Plus you get the little, reassuring crackle at the onset too.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I know Vinyl stores are popping up a bit more these days, but this is a cracking little one if you are ever in the Camberley area.

https://rockbox.co.uk/

Been around since the mid-80s which is some feat, as it's basically been there since CDs came out, as if it's been waiting for the revival all along. Guy called Mark runs in, an absolute Vinyl junkie.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

The Tangential decks wear your vinyl less as the stylus follows the grooves at a straight angle. Also, the better the stylus the better the reproduction, and the less wear on your vinyl again.

My trusty Technics SL-DL1 was linear tracking, using the same principle. Plus I changed the stylus every now and then.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I remember buying on the border by the Eagles in 74 took it back after two plays because it jumped on one track, even now playing the CD I wait for the track to jump, weird.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

Beocenter 2000.

Great sound and pride of place in my living room. It sounds fantastic.

Best £90 I think I’ve ever spent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Yep, I kept all my old 70/80s LPs and just love them.
Sadly my deck has gone crappy so looking for a new one.
Can't wait to start playing the vinyl again.
Needed to replace mine a few years ago and wanted a vintage player. Monkey Music in Baker Street is where I ended up buying a refurbished turntable, he had plenty of choice at varying prices. Great shop. Ended up with a Linn LP12 which was too good to miss although I paid more than the wife had budgeted for! Still a bargain and glad I did it. Worth a look.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Has anyone else returned and found pleasure of listening to vinyl LPs again. I am not a audiophile as I am not sure what that is. But my husband bought me a record player a couple of years ago for Christmas “Pro-ject Essential 2” after I picked up a mint copy of foxtrot by Genesis becuse I love the Album, I had it already on CD but there was something special about the textured sleeve that made me buy it even though I didn’t have anything to play it on.

Since then I have purchased a number of albums and just love the ritual of putting on a physical peice of music that you have to be careful with. I actually really listen to it, rather then when I play some of the hundreds song on my phone to the Bluetooth devices it more background music.

My daughter after seeing “bohemian rhapsody” bought a queen Album so I managed to find a working second hand Aiwa px-e850k from the 90s on eBay. After replacing the stylus it worked a treat, it’s fully automated and has a built in pre-amp. She has bought a few records since and enjoys it.

I don’t care if you have £20 bush all in one suitcase type from Argos or a Linn record player, however you enjoy listening is cool.

Sorry if there has already been a thread about this. I did a search and didn’t spot anything.

I was bought a aiwa in the suitcase type turntable...connect the external speakers to it and it actually plays really well.

Latest album, Trojan records, ska and reggae classics double album.....its bloody fantastic.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here