Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I'll leave my ego at the door..... As long as you all make room for my personal Masseuse, Nail, hair and beauty technicians and don't enter my dressing without knocking.. Oh and under no circumstances interrupt my meditation as I energise myself into the zone... we'll get along just fine! :eek:)

As someone who can't get along to this brilliant event I can from a distance smell the testosterone!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Interesting chat with a mate on Twatter last night relating to a 10k race that his colleagues are all entering, but he's not because he's a sprinter. Says he wouldn't be able to do it, even at a jog. I'm guessing he COULD do it, but he's trained (literally) to run at that pace all the time.

As a long distance bloke who's a bit OK at sprinting, but rubbish at actual speed sessions, I'm fascinated to see how we are all suited to different distances and that got me thinking about training plans for sprinters, as opposed to, say, marathon training. Mileage-wise, what's the difference? Would they spend, say three hours in sprint training rather than a three-hour long run? Surely your body couldn't take that much at that pace, even with a rest (he said – jokingly, I think) it would be a 100m sprint and then a 10-minute race)?

Apologies for the ramble – all this talk of Weakest Link reminded me :lol:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Interesting chat with a mate on Twatter last night relating to a 10k race that his colleagues are all entering, but he's not because he's a sprinter. Says he wouldn't be able to do it, even at a jog. I'm guessing he COULD do it, but he's trained (literally) to run at that pace all the time.

As a long distance bloke who's a bit OK at sprinting, but rubbish at actual speed sessions, I'm fascinated to see how we are all suited to different distances and that got me thinking about training plans for sprinters, as opposed to, say, marathon training. Mileage-wise, what's the difference? Would they spend, say three hours in sprint training rather than a three-hour long run? Surely your body couldn't take that much at that pace, even with a rest (he said – jokingly, I think) it would be a 100m sprint and then a 10-minute race)?

Interesting thoughts! We definitely all have our strengths and weaknesses and it's probably taken a late-life conversion to running for me to understand mine. I'm a long distance person without doubt.

When younger and only playing football my distinct lack of pace was noticeable from early on but I could usually last the 90 minutes. That has translated precisely in to running. I'd much rather run a HM than park run and my HM and Marathon times - even as a first timer - are relatively more impressive than my 10k / 5k.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Interesting thoughts! We definitely all have our strengths and weaknesses and it's probably taken a late-life conversion to running for me to understand mine. I'm a long distance person without doubt.

When younger and only playing football my distinct lack of pace was noticeable from early on but I could usually last the 90 minutes. That has translated precisely in to running. I'd much rather run a HM than park run and my HM and Marathon times - even as a first timer - are relatively more impressive than my 10k / 5k.

Don't mind 5k, but I can't see myself being a sub-20 minute guy. 10k is probably my least favourite distance in a race situation – such an effort to sustain that kind of pace for so long. I do know that it helps core fitness, but I can't seem to stay concentrated to do a proper session!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
In the olden days of my youth Steve Ovett and Tory Coe were medium distance runners at 800m to 1500m Foster was long distance at 10k and 5k is beyond medium distance. Sprinters 100 and 200m. 400m between sprinting and medium. Then there were marathon runners.

For age I'm still a useless sprinter but still good for a mile but slightly decrease up to 5k. Above that distance I'm OK up to half marathon but my downward graph meets [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] 's upward graph after mile 20. This will be rectified in 2018.
I'd say [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] has the frame for a 100m runner.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
In the olden days of my youth Steve Ovett and Tory Coe were medium distance runners at 800m to 1500m Foster was long distance at 10k and 5k is beyond medium distance. Sprinters 100 and 200m. 400m between sprinting and medium. Then there were marathon runners.

For age I'm still a useless sprinter but still good for a mile but slightly decrease up to 5k. Above that distance I'm OK up to half marathon but my downward graph meets [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] 's upward graph after mile 20. This will be rectified in 2018.
I'd say [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] has the frame for a 100m runner.

Ha ha! I was behind someone at the end of parkrun one week when the old sprint finish and he said the same thing. I'd love to give it a go – actually do a bit of training for it – and see what sort of time I could do.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave

I have the perfect build of a beer drinker :) My favourite distance is a HM, long enough not to be sprinting, short enough not to be thinking "WTF how many miles to go!". My PBs are 51.06 10k, 1.53 for a short HM at Brighton and 4.28 Marathon. I have no idea how they relate to each other in comparison. I have still never done a parkrun so have no PB at 5k. Anyway [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] will be my Worthing 10k pacer as I aim for 50 mins!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Wonder where [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] plays on the field. Has the build of a centre back but his speed could put him anywhere. Centre forward? Although he was probably put in goal before losing tons of weight through running.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Wonder where [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] plays on the field. Has the build of a centre back but his speed could put him anywhere. Centre forward? Although he was probably put in goal before losing tons of weight through running.

Definite centre forward. As an ex centre back he'd be my absolute nightmare, quick, able to run all day and big enough that I'd even have to think twice about kicking him out of the game. Got to be able to finish though.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Mostly down to use of fast-twitch (sprinters) and slow-twitch (distance runners) muscles...........I think genetically we are prone to have one more effective than the other, but training can impact effectiveness in either case. Usain Bolt claims to have never run more than 800m in his life (and I think that was to a fried chicken shack just before closing time), top marathon runners are doing upwards of 120 miles a week

Personally I just hate working hard, and things like 5k really hurt if you do it right. Would much rather plod along 'comfortably' for several hours, stopping for cake and a chat every so often :)

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Up till 4 years ago I'd only ever run 10k's and thought that was my best distance. A charity half made me re think and now consider myself a distance runner as everything else just bloody hurts too much. 5k is ok as it's over fairly quickly but I would be quite happy not to ever run another 10k as it knocks the crap out of me and takes me the longest to recover from. Last 10k at west Worthing is the race that now has me sidelined with inflamed tibia posterior but I'm not bitter or anything.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Mostly down to use of fast-twitch (sprinters) and slow-twitch (distance runners) muscles...........I think genetically we are prone to have one more effective than the other, but training can impact effectiveness in either case. Usain Bolt claims to have never run more than 800m in his life (and I think that was to a fried chicken shack just before closing time), top marathon runners are doing upwards of 120 miles a week

Personally I just hate working hard, and things like 5k really hurt if you do it right. Would much rather plod along 'comfortably' for several hours, stopping for cake and a chat every so often :)

Ha ha! I know where you're coming from. Speaking of which, good luck tomorrow for NDW 50 :thumbsup:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Up till 4 years ago I'd only ever run 10k's and thought that was my best distance. A charity half made me re think and now consider myself a distance runner as everything else just bloody hurts too much. 5k is ok as it's over fairly quickly but I would be quite happy not to ever run another 10k as it knocks the crap out of me and takes me the longest to recover from. Last 10k at west Worthing is the race that now has me sidelined with inflamed tibia posterior but I'm not bitter or anything.

Sorry to hear that. Have you an idea on time sidelined?
Didn't you run the Rome marathon just after Worthing 10k? Surely that's the culprit?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I've been on the NHS couch to 5k programme for the last 8 weeks. I'm tackling my first 5k tomorrow at preston park, any tips for preparation? What would be an ok time for over 40 yr old?

just aim to complete the 5k and don't worry about the time....that's for next week and a PB. I suppose sub 30 mins is a target but it depends how fit you are. Good luck and enjoy it, they are a friendly bunch

Seaford by the sea

Sep 29, 2008
seaford
Cheers, looking forward to it. Was thinking sub 30. I couldn't run 100 yrds 8 weeks ago (hadn't done much sport for the last 12 years), but not massively overweight. Quite proud of what's been achieved in such a short time, with help of my local running club.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Sorry to hear that. Have you an idea on time sidelined?
Didn't you run the Rome marathon just after Worthing 10k? Surely that's the culprit?

Rome didn't make things any better but Worthing did the damage. It's been really slow to get better and had a few false dawns which have set me back but now sticking to the cross trainer till things improve. I'm supposed to be running the Wealdon Way ultra on the 28th but may need a Russian coach supply the medication for that one.

I'll be ready for the Weakest Link. Think my A team inclusion was very generous to begin with. B or C will be better

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here