Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Last run before Bright10 at lunchtime. Having just done the slow Saturday jog round the Color Run I had a fair amount of energy and went round 8k in 42 minutes at approximately the sort of pace I will need to do the 10 miler in to break 1hr 25. Thinking I will probably set the virtual pacer for 8 minute miles and see what happens.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
A 2nd 10 miler in 3 days taking in the hills or Brighton & Hove.

I ran up The Drove today for the first time, that's one steep hill. Managed to keep the average pace to 7:09 which I was pleased with, including a lung busting 6:21 final mile.

Good luck to all running the Bright10 Sunday, gutted to miss out but I'll be enjoying the sights of Chicago with the possibility of a run round Grant's Park if I'm not too hungover on the Sunday.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Today's parkrun (Hove Prom). Perfect conditions - 20:50.................and (as an old git) first place on AG%. Dead chuffed.

Agreed - perfect conditions. I managed just under 22:30 for the first time at Preston Park and have also, for the first time, got over the 70% AG -- still lagging well behind you, but I knocked a half minute off my PB of a couple of weeks ago, so well chuffed.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Just about to leave for Bright10 when I realised my race number was the perfect omen given yesterday's winning change of formation by CH!

IMG_1757.JPG

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Hopefully see you there [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION]. Been nursing a sore back all week but pronounced myself fit enough after a gentle park run yesterday. Did nt realise they were shutting roads for us today. Perfect morning by looks of it. Have a great run.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Good luck Bright10 runners I've given my entry away. I'm hoping to go on a run in Chicago in about 6 hours if I'm not too hungover.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
What a great run Bright10 was! Well organised, perfect conditions and a choccy covered protein bar at the end. [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] was right when he said 10 miles is a perfect race distance. Did indeed see [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] at the start and end (thanks for the cheer) and broke my PB by six minutes with a chip time of 1.23.17 coming 655th on gun and 668th on chip. Having said I would set the the auto pacer for 8 min miles I bottled out and set for 8 and a half and that seemed to help me pace evenly under that figure. Paced round more or less with the same group and even had a sprint finish with one of them, a lady who the results csv says was in the same age group as me.

Most happy with my splits which were consistent to negative. According to the watch:

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
1:11:23 for me - absolutely delighted as had a really sore back all week and thought I may not even take part on Thursday. Was targeting 1:15-1:20 but somehow the event just carried me along at a pace which is equivalent to three 22:15 park runs which I find slightly frightening!

Brighton and Hove did us proud with superb weather - the sea just looked fantastic running up Marine Parade. Really well organised - sea front roads and part of the Steine shut - a bit like the marathon but without the crowds.

Well done [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] on a superb pb and [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] for taking part at all a week after IOW marathon!

matto.75

Jan 21, 2011
Really enjoyed the bright10 today, longest run I have done , text message said 1hr 23.45 , on the website said 1hr 25.11, anyone know which is the correct time, well done to all who took part today

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What a great run Bright10 was! Well organised, perfect conditions and a choccy covered protein bar at the end. [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] was right when he said 10 miles is a perfect race distance. Did indeed see [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] at the start and end (thanks for the cheer) and broke my PB by six minutes with a chip time of 1.23.17 coming 655th on gun and 668th on chip. Having said I would set the the auto pacer for 8 min miles I bottled out and set for 8 and a half and that seemed to help me pace evenly under that figure. Paced round more or less with the same group and even had a sprint finish with one of them, a lady who the results csv says was in the same age group as me.

Most happy with my splits which were consistent to negative. According to the watch:

Brilliant effort and great even pacing. I didn't doubt it for a second though...

I think I said somewhere way up this thread that I think you'll be closer to 1:20 then 1:30 for 10 miles by the time you get to the event you're building up to. If not by the race, then during it I'm sure.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Really enjoyed the bright10 today, longest run I have done , text message said 1hr 23.45 , on the website said 1hr 25.11, anyone know which is the correct time, well done to all who took part today

I don't know the answer but that's fantastic for your first go at the distance! I'm not sure how long you've been running, but it took me around 6 months before I bettered that with a 1:22:something.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

the longer one will be your gun time (actual time round because you will have started in the middle) and the 1.23.46 will be your chip time (time from crossing the timing beam at start to timing beam at finish - your real time). Looks like we were only 30 secs apart!

Brilliant effort and great even pacing. I didn't doubt it for a second though...

Cheers! I did....

Any others out there run it? I saw a yellow away shirt and a crimson third shirt going round.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

Probably this is the difference between 'chip' time and 'gun' time. Chip time is the more accurate measurement and is taken as you cross start/finish line from the chip in your number tag - this is the time you were texted. Gun time is the time from when they fired the klaxon (gun) to your finish - so if you started down the field and it took you 86 seconds to cross the start line after the klaxon sounded then this will explain the difference. (hope that did not sound patronising!) Both gun and chip times (and positions based on both) are included in the results.

Incidentally - I've never known such instant texting of results before - I had mine almost as soon as I crossed the line.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here