Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Refereeing decisions - WBA v Forest

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
In the final five minutes Lee Mason made two interesting calls. He awarded Dwight Gayle a pen for what looked suspiciously like a dive(who did he play with previously, I forget?). Just after that Forest had a much stronger shout for a pen when Gibbs had a strong hold of the Forest player’s shirt. WBA a tad fortunate. Will be interested to see if Gayle gets a retrospective ban

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Agree Not only a blatant dive but had lost control of ball when he went down

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Clear foul on Forest player but just because he stayed on feet not given. That Joe Tolley looked very good

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
He certainly should get a ban. He’ll probably claim to have anticipated the contact that never came. Unless players start getting banned for these types of decisions it will keep happening. Fair play to the Forest lad who stayed on his feet when a clear pull on his shirt (I bet he wishes he went down now). Poor refereeing / lino again, it does seem unless you go down you don’t get the decision.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Tolley also got cynically hailed down by Dawson near the end when he looked to have a one on one with the keeper. Yellow card to Dawson (there might have been a covering defender but couldn’t see)

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I didn't watch the game but just read the match highlights.
To sum up-
WBA player felt contact and went down. WBA score and pick up 1 point
Forest player felt contact but didn't go down so no penalty
So Gayle MAY get a ban but he also got 1 point. In this day and age cheats unfortunately always win and we have to learn from this.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Lee Mason. Enough said. Awful, awful referee. Remember the stonewall pen he missed for us at home to Stoke last season? Doubtless he'll be back on Saturday refereeing another top game, just as Stewart Attwell will be.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Tolley also got cynically hailed down by Dawson near the end when he looked to have a one on one with the keeper. Yellow card to Dawson (there might have been a covering defender but couldn’t see)

There was a covering defender, to the Forest players right as he looked to break

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

There was a covering defender, to the Forest players right as he looked to break

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
I didn't watch the game but just read the match highlights.
To sum up-
WBA player felt contact and went down. WBA score and pick up 1 point
Forest player felt contact but didn't go down so no penalty
So Gayle MAY get a ban but he also got 1 point. In this day and age cheats unfortunately always win and we have to learn from this.

What we learn from this is that VAR cant come soon enough it gets fixed on the day and you dont get referees pretending they didnt see a dive/elbow to correct their f-ups the next day.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
He certainly should get a ban. He’ll probably claim to have anticipated the contact that never came. Unless players start getting banned for these types of decisions it will keep happening.

How can any player justify diving due to 'anticipated contact'? All of the dickhead pundits use that expression now like it's ok to cheat that way.

A foul is committed when there has been contact-not when some cheating little twunt 'anticipates contact'.

VAR can't happen soon enough for me-even if it goes against us. The game needs to eliminate, as much as possible, all of the cheating we all see during every single Premier League game, by all Premier League sides. Including The Albion.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
How can any player justify diving due to 'anticipated contact'? All of the dickhead pundits use that expression now like it's ok to cheat that way.

A foul is committed when there has been contact-not when some cheating little twunt 'anticipates contact'.

VAR can't happen soon enough for me-even if it goes against us. The game needs to eliminate, as much as possible, all of the cheating we all see during every single Premier League game, by all Premier League sides. Including The Albion.
Even that isn't quite right. Football is a contact sport and it drives me mad when pundits say, "there was contact so he's entitled to go down." A foul is commited when there has been a trip (or one of the other fouls), not when a player feels a brush against his leg and throws himself to the floor.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
He certainly should get a ban. He’ll probably claim to have anticipated the contact that never came. Unless players start getting banned for these types of decisions it will keep happening. Fair play to the Forest lad who stayed on his feet when a clear pull on his shirt (I bet he wishes he went down now). Poor refereeing / lino again, it does seem unless you go down you don’t get the decision.

Correct, and people wonder why players go down so easily. There is nothing in the rules that says it's only a foul if you end up on the floor but that's the way it's refereed these days.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

Agree but this game was in the Championship :( The whole culture needs to change but I fear it's too late.
I suspect kids football is full of cheating now.
It's creeping in in rugby too.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Even that isn't quite right. Football is a contact sport and it drives me mad when pundits say, "there was contact so he's entitled to go down." A foul is commited when there has been a trip (or one of the other fouls), not when a player feels a brush against his leg and throws himself to the floor.

Agreed. At least he’s been charged. Hopefully a decent ban going his way.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
It's all a bit of nonsense really. Gayle will probably get the ban and a fine.

So the player cheated and will be punished. But the consequences - the goal and the shared points - will stand. So not much of a punishment.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The cheat has been charged, and should face a two match ban.

[video]https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11636549/west-broms-dwight-gayle-charged-by-fa-over-dive-against-nottingham-forest[/video]

VAR will be slagged of on NSC at times, but overall it will be a good thing IMO. Much of the diving might even disappear.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Agree but this game was in the Championship :( The whole culture needs to change but I fear it's too late.
I suspect kids football is full of cheating now.
It's creeping in in rugby too.
Yes, it was a Championship game. My reference to VAR was more about the knock on effect it should have on the game: ridding it of the cheating culture that is now so prevalent. I hope so anyway.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Yes it was the fact that it was on TV that gave me hope he would be punished for a blatant dive. That’s essentially why Andone got banned and then the much more questionable ban on Tomer Hemed last season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here