Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Can you score a legitimate goal from off the pitch?

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
if you deliberately leave the field of play to gain an advantage then you need permission.

Not sure this is entirely true though do excuse me if I’ve misinterpreted your quote. Every so often I see players leaving the pitch the gain an advantage but the referee exhibits common sense and allows to play on, like when Gareth Bale and other stupidly fast players take the long route around defenders via leaving the field to sprint down the line, or when a winger will smash in a cross but leave the field and stay off the pitch during the phase to avoid being caught up in an offside. Pretty certain they don’t need permission.

The initiative to get permission is to ease the pandemic of feigning injury which frankly would be out of control if players could come and go as they wished, and to guard against this;

What I don't get, but I do remember a ball boy doing it at Man City in the 70s, is that anyone can actually score? Fan or player? If you're there, even off the pitch it is legit?

....Where anyone could run on to the pitch and put it in the net and give the ref a headache. But they, and the ball, would have to be on the pitch. They would not be able to drop kick the ball from the sidelines in to the net. That wouldn’t pose a problem.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
No mention of the fistfuls of shirt Bartley had on Balogun before he dragged him out of the way and tapped it in ? Balogun should've been stronger and dealt with it, but I thought shirt-tugging was supposed to be naughty.

Looking at the foul count and the performance of the ref last night, he did seem to let a lot of WBA stuff go.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Just asking.

Because if you can are you not in front of all the other players? Isn't that offside, assuming when the ball was played you weren't onside, never know with the Beeb.

When I saw it I definitely thought it was a dodgy goal, our players had a strange reaction too. It just looked odd that someone off the pitch could hook it in like that. Fortunately our three goals sorted out the result but if it had ended up 1-0 to WBA and that was the winning goal I would have felt robbed to say the least.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
When I saw it I definitely thought it was a dodgy goal, our players had a strange reaction too. It just looked odd that someone off the pitch could hook it in like that. Fortunately our three goals sorted out the result but if it had ended up 1-0 to WBA and that was the winning goal I would have felt robbed to say the least.

WBA Goal 1.png

WBA Goal 2.png

:shrug:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
It was a goal the ref gave it....

We often see players run a long the touch line and out of play but have kept the ball in play, this is no different UNLESS he was offside which he wasn't.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905

Can't see the argument here, both feet are in the field off play, as is the ball, therefore perfectly legitimate goal.

WBA player is active and therefore has every right to go for the ball or be called offside, which was not the case as the ball had looped up off Dan Burn's head.

A player only becomes inactive when the referee gives permission for him to go off the pitch and remains so until signalled to return. A player cannot deliberately step off the pitch to avoid offside as he is still active even behind or inside the goal - in that case he is still counts as being in play.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Isn't it the ball that has to be in play?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here