Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Liam Moore

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Could it be the domino affect that he is referring to in that a top 6 club like Chelsea buy Pickford and Everton by another keeper and that club then come in for Ryan or more simply Man U buy Maguire, Leicester buy Lascelles and Newcastle come on for Dunk or Duffy.

That would put Lascelles higher up the pecking order than Dunk, they are at least equal (i have taken off the glasses) and my preference on what I have seen is Dunk. It would serve his career no purpose going there its a sideways/backwards move and on a personal level I still think he would prefer to stay where he is until he is offered something significant improved.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
:lolol:
It's the way he tells 'em.

there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns – the ones we don't know we don't know.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Hughton confirmed yesterday , again , they are looking for a 4th centre back.

"For where we are at the moment, probably the only position - and this is because of numbers - is at centre-half.
"We've got the two that played last season (Lewis Dunk and Shane Duffy), we've brought in (Leon) Balogun and we want four centre-halves, which is normal.
"We're working as hard as we can.
"Unless the unexpected happens, which we don't expect it to, it will only be that position we're looking at.
"But this is football, that doesn't mean something won't happen in the last week. But we don't expect it to and, at this moment, we're not planning for it."
https://www.brightonandhoveindepend...-more-unless-the-unexpected-happens-1-8583476
I suspect we are very open to an 'unexpected' bid for Hemed which we cannot turn down and have a plan in place to react to it.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
“No one would have believed in the last years of the twentieth century that our club was being watched keenly and closely by other teams greater than ours and yet as mortal as our own; that as Tony and his team busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinised and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinise the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water........No one gave a thought to bigger teams as sources of footballing danger, or thought of them only to dismiss the idea of an atmosphere in their stadia as impossible or improbable. It is curious to recall some of the mental habits of those departed days.......Yet across the gulf of Europe, clubs that are to our minds as ours is to Lewes FC, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regard our club with envious eyes, and slowly and surely, they are drawing their plans against us.”

Well done Sir. All we need now is Richard Burton reading it!

With a backdrop of;

The chances of top six teams coming for ours
Are a million to one they said
The chances of top six teams coming for ours
Are a million to one... yet still they come

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That would put Lascelles higher up the pecking order than Dunk, they are at least equal (i have taken off the glasses) and my preference on whage uist I have seen is Dunk. It would serve his career no purpose going there its a sideways/backwards move and on a personal level I still think he would prefer to stay where he is until he is offered something significant improved.

I would say that Lascelles was nearer England call up than Dunk so in Southgates eyes a better player. I thin k that we all have a very blinkered view of Dunk and how good he is,

Weretheweststand

Unregistered User
Aug 23, 2011
Hailsham
What Chris means by something unexpected might not necessarily just mean a bid for one of ours. Could also mean a player within our "clusters" who was not previously available suddenly becomes available for a good price and we move on it. Would still be unexpected.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
What Chris means by something unexpected might not necessarily just mean a bid for one of ours. Could also mean a player within our "clusters" who was not previously available suddenly becomes available for a good price and we move on it. Would still be unexpected.

More likely referring to a player bid, and we wouldn't bring in a player just for the sake of it, and rock the boat in terms of numbers.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Which just shows how much he wants to move away from Tinpot FC. Again, I cannot see why you are criticising him for trying to further his career, also taking a short-term financial hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It shows that someone has been talking to an under contract player, whilst I don't blame the player for wanting to move, in theory he should not really be aware of firm interest in him until the clubs have agreed a fee, or are close enough that Reading have given permission for us or whoever else to talk to him. It is called tapping up. I presume that he is only making a transfer request as he is aware of the interest, so somehow the chain of events has gone wrong, either we have made an approach not permitted under league rules or Reading have let it slip. When Burnley were pursuing Dale Stephens, though we hung on to him, he was effectively unavailable to us for the first half dozen games or so at the start of the season, and his performances were not as high as we would have expected when he did start playing, that might have been enough to see us in the play offs again instead of promoted. I am not naive and know clubs don't play it straight, but I don't like it, and I don't like players telling their clubs they want away, unless they want away because they were unhappy at that club anyway.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It shows that someone has been talking to an under contract player, whilst I don't blame the player for wanting to move, in theory he should not really be aware of firm interest in him until the clubs have agreed a fee, or are close enough that Reading have given permission for us or whoever else to talk to him. It is called tapping up. I presume that he is only making a transfer request as he is aware of the interest, so somehow the chain of events has gone wrong, either we have made an approach not permitted under league rules or Reading have let it slip. When Burnley were pursuing Dale Stephens, though we hung on to him, he was effectively unavailable to us for the first half dozen games or so at the start of the season, and his performances were not as high as we would have expected when he did start playing, that might have been enough to see us in the play offs again instead of promoted. I am not naive and know clubs don't play it straight, but I don't like it, and I don't like players telling their clubs they want away, unless they want away because they were unhappy at that club anyway.
All correct, but he is aware of our firm interest because of our public bids that have been rejected as well. It is a secret from no one, and if he then sees we are after the Iranian after Reading publically rejecting our bids then what is he to do ?

twowheelsbest

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton
He probably read it on here!

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

So he chose not to read the Reading Chronicle and/or check out other media then!!?? Your post is absolute nonsense TBH. Why the Moore witch hunt? Are you JOC’s agent!?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Deja vu, we very recently discussed this In detail.

To recap, ex players and ex managers state that tapping up is the norm. Yes, is it illegal. But every club who falls 'victim' to this, also gains by doing this. They're all at it.

To save public face from a player turning them down, clubs initially tap up to check that a player would like to join them, before making a move.

It's the way of the football world. A club taking a moral stand on this, would be at an immediate huge disadvantage to its competitors.

Agents also illegally discuss with their players about potential moves and approach clubs.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
So he chose not to read the Reading Chronicle and/or check out other media then!!?? Your post is absolute nonsense TBH. Why the Moore witch hunt? Are you JOC’s agent!?

I doubt a player would put in a transfer request unless he was pretty sure the interest was real, and a newspaper report is often wrong when it comes to player transfers.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Deja vu, we very recently discussed this In detail.

To recap, ex players and ex managers state that tapping up is the norm. Yes, is it illegal. But every club who falls 'victim' to this, also gains by doing this. They're all at it.

To save public face from a player turning them down, clubs initially tap up to check that a player would like to join them, before making a move.

It's the way of the football world. A club taking a moral stand on this, would be at an immediate huge disadvantage to its competitors.

Agents also illegally discuss with their players about potential moves and approach clubs.

I know, my position is I don't like it, not that it doesn't happen, and I dislike a player adding pressure on the club to which he is contracted, to sell when they don't want to, or at a price they don't want to. I also understand the players wish to play at a higher level, but he is likely to be facing lower league opposition or Premier league youth sides in the cups. Don't get me wrong, I hope the club get him if they see him as right for us, but I don't like players trying to dictate what fee their club should accept, especially in the Championship, as we all know clubs only ever break even or turn a profit if they sell a player or two to a Premier league club.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
but he is likely to be facing lower league opposition or Premier league youth sides in the cups.

If we are successful in our attempts to sign him, I think Dunk and Duffy are going to be under pressure to hold onto thier starting spots. Here is a comparison matrix comparing all four of next seasons potential CBs. We will be blessed with 4 very good players. image.png

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Clement clearly has a way with words:

"I'm positive we will have a good outcome to this."

"These things never work out in an ideal situation but we'll manage it.”

So what’s it going to be then Paul?

Bye Liam
Shit we need a new CB
Is John Collins available?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports