Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Evans to host Top Gear

SAC

May 21, 2014
He’s an excellent choice. Ok, a lot of people don’t like him but then a lot of people do. If they had gone for a vanilla middle of the road type presenter who nobody hated but then no one really liked it would have turned into the car equivalent of The One Show. 5th Gear?

I’m not a car person but would watch it now and then but not much for the last few seasons as it became tired, repetitive and boring. There are only so many times The Hamster can accidentally drive into Captain Slow.

I want it to do well to both to shut the Clarkson fans up, who forget that Top Gear was roughly as popular when he joined as when he left, and also to ensure the continuation of a decent revenue stream for the Beeb.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Top Geat is fine. Leave it.

Top Goat would be better. A prime time reality show where viewers get to 'vote off' the farm the most annoying goat until only one is left and then that goat has a team of experts come in and they redecorate the goats barn and pen and then a one of special where the goat is followed around for a year and we watch what antics it gets up to.

Edit: not into cars to be honest and there are just not enough programmes about goats.

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
"I promise I will do everything I possibly can to respect what has gone on before and take the show forward,"

Yeh, right. He said the same thing when he took over from Wogan. How many years has he been doing the breakfast show? It's the same utter cr*p day after day. The same 'spots', the same boring drivel day after day. Is he capable of saying anything which isn't complete and utter inane drivel. If there is a 'celebrity' who is more obnoxious and less talented than Evans, I've yet to hear of them. Very disapointed. Won't even bother giving the new show a look. At least May and Hammond have decided niot to risk their reputations despite the reported millions on offer.

But isn't that part of the problem. People are, in general, conservative, so don't want something that is brand new when they could stick with what has gone before. Change it too much and you put people off – as is evident with the amount of viewers campaigning for the previous trio of twunts to be re-instated.

I'm not fussed either way, to be honest. I can't be doing with a car show that is more entertainment than car – if, indeed, that format is going to remain. Evans will probably do a good job, and it'll be interesting to see who he gets alongside him. However, give me the OLD TG – with Woollard, Goffey, Needell, Willson, etc – any day.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Funny that some of those complaining about Evans are suggesting it's because he's opinionated, self-absorbed, and owns expensive cars.

None of which applied to Clarkson, of course....

FWIW, I never minded the car bits of TG. I didn't mind Clarkson talking about the cars. I just couldn't abide the horrendously scripted, non-spontaneous "hilarious" japes they used to get up to.

"Oh no! Is Richard The Hamster Hammond going to accidentally drive off that cliff? The tension! Is James May's route to the finish line going to be unexpectedly blocked by a stereotypically comical local resident shuffling slowly across the road in his path? Who could have predicted that would happen!".

Maybe now they'll get on with the car stuff as was generally the intention of the show.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Evans is a bit of an irritating hangover from the 90's. Seeing as Top Gear's humour is an irritating hangover from the 90's I can see it going on quite well.
I don't particularly like him but hats off to someone who looks like that, started off in Hospital radio and managed to make himself one of the UK's most well known and well paid broadcasters.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
it would have turned into the car equivalent of The One Show.

one-show-presenter-alex-jones-announces-engagement-on-air_2.jpg

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Funny that some of those complaining about Evans are suggesting it's because he's opinionated, self-absorbed, and owns expensive cars.

None of which applied to Clarkson, of course....

FWIW, I never minded the car bits of TG. I didn't mind Clarkson talking about the cars. I just couldn't abide the horrendously scripted, non-spontaneous "hilarious" japes they used to get up to.

"Oh no! Is Richard The Hamster Hammond going to accidentally drive off that cliff? The tension! Is James May's route to the finish line going to be unexpectedly blocked by a stereotypically comical local resident shuffling slowly across the road in his path? Who could have predicted that would happen!".

Maybe now they'll get on with the car stuff as was generally the intention of the show.

Out of interest Edna, do you drive or passenger at work, or both? Nothing in it, just curious to put your views on the 'car bits' in perspective.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
[MENTION=31796]alfredmizen[/MENTION] [MENTION=5707]Nibble[/MENTION] quit derailing threads on the BB pls. There's one that's been moved to t'other place that you've been using to goad each other - let's keep it there, eh?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Out of interest Edna, do you drive or passenger at work, or both? Nothing in it, just curious to put your views on the 'car bits' in perspective.

Mostly drive. My crew buddy prefers to be chauffeured (he does take his turn though :lol:).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here