Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Does design, spatial awareness, familiarity with physical surroundings all contribute to home advantage? (a piece by a friend of mine).

[tweet]1266283488270880769[/tweet]

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Are we to assume they will still stick with the traditional of the final round of games all kicking off at the same time?

You'd assume so?

Possibly, although it may well depend on if there's much to sort out. If the European and relegation places are sorted, there isn't nearly as much pressure to all kick off at same time

The article did say that the clubs have agreed to a provisional end date of Saturday 25th June (rather than the weekend of....) so I would assume all fixtures at same time.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The article did say that the clubs have agreed to a provisional end date of Saturday 25th June (rather than the weekend of....) so I would assume all fixtures at same time.
How can that be right ?

The fixtures cannot possibly end by June 25th, if they start on June 17th.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
How can that be right ?

The fixtures cannot possibly end by June 25th, if they start on June 17th.

Lots of double headers, if its good enough for Sunday League football, it's good enough for the Premier League.

Seriously though the end date is scheduled to be July 25th.

Pierre the Painter

May 20, 2020
According to the Atheltic on twitter a number of police forces have now made objections to clubs playing at their home games, could be a substantial amount more neutral games than what have already been mooted (no suggestion it includes us though).

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
According to the Atheltic on twitter a number of police forces have now made objections to clubs playing at their home games, could be a substantial amount more neutral games than what have already been mooted (no suggestion it includes us though).

Makes me wonder if they'll play extra games at the Amex, given it's out of town.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I suspect, particularly at the bottom end of the table, decisions about neutral venues will need to be made as things evolve and some fixtures become more significant.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I suspect, particularly at the bottom end of the table, decisions about neutral venues will need to be made as things evolve and some fixtures become more significant.
If we win our first 5 games back, I reckon we'll be much more open to playing the rest at neutral venues.

:albion2:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Makes me wonder if they'll play extra games at the Amex, given it's out of town.

It's got to be high on the list of potential neutral venues given access directly from a dual carriageway A-road, plenty of plush hotels in Sussex for teams to hole up in, close to Gatwick etc. etc.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I am only concerned with matches that affect The Albion.. great that some may be on free to air tv. I read on the BBC site that the restart begins Wednesday night 17th with Man C v Arsenal. Presumably we kick of the following weekend with our delayed game v Arsenal.
That would mean that by the time we play them, Arsenal will have had the benefit of already having played a game under this new system. We will go into it green.
I don't think that is fair. All games should start the same weekend with all teams fresh ....any catch up fixtures could be slotted in later.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Lots of talk now of the 2nd wave hitting towards the end of June.

There's a chance that this will all get called off at the last minute.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
'May be' dates. FA Cup weekends will be left blank.
June 19/22 H Arsenal
June 23/25 A Leicester
June 30/July 2 H Man Utd
July 3/6 A Norwich
July 7/9 H Liverpool
July 10/13 H Man City
July 14/16 A Saints
July 21/23 H Newcastle
July 26 A Burnley

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Cracking article by Jonathan Lieu in The Guardian this morning:

Well done, everyone: we did it. They said it wasn’t possible. They said it wasn’t safe. They said it would be tactless to start up one of the world’s most lucrative sports leagues while thousands are dying. They said it wouldn’t be a fair competition. They may still be right about all of this, of course. More on that in a moment.

But for now, football is back. Watch it. Drink it in. Lose yourself in a pure six-week football bender: 92 Premier League fixtures, spread across every day of the week and every conceivable time slot, all of it live on television, much of it free to air. Take that, null-and-voiders; dry your tears, PPG; up yours, Troy Deeney. Football is back and all it took was the spectre of financial catastrophe and the sight of Germany handling things far more adeptly.

FULL ARTICLE HERE >>> https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-league-restart-spectre-financial-catastrophe

Last edited by a moderator:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Sorry to moan but can we please put to bed the recurrent nonsense mantra that the return of football will boost the morale of the nation. As unbelievable as it may seem to us there is a huge proportion of the population don't give a monkeys.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Sorry to moan but can we please put to bed the recurrent nonsense mantra that the return of football will boost the morale of the nation. As unbelievable as it may seem to us there is a huge proportion of the population don't give a monkeys.

More of a morale boost for the armchair viewers, I would suggest. Those of us that go seem a lot more split on the issue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here