Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton supporters

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
I could start a whole new thread on the wage bill shit after his depressing interview with the Argus. But actions speak louder than words and hopefully we'll be starting next season with a manager that can at least show offensive intent.

Just like Fulham’s attacking intent? They played very attractive football. Took Brighton twice.

It’s only points that count. You can only play with the hand you’ve been given. This Brighton squad are exactly where they should be. Other fans laugh at our own fans stupidly in regards to Hughton. It’s bloody ridiculous. This season started well under defensive tactics. It was the more expansive switch in tactics with the change to 4-3-3 around Christmas time that turned the season. I’m not saying Hughton is perfect. He isn’t. He makes mistakes. But he’s done what’s been asked of him since he arrived.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Just like Fulham’s attacking intent? They played very attractive football. Took Brighton twice.

It’s only points that count. You can only play with the hand you’ve been given. This Brighton squad are exactly where they should be. Other fans laugh at our own fans stupidly in regards to Hughton. It’s bloody ridiculous. This season started well under defensive tactics. It was the more expansive switch in tactics with the change to 4-3-3 around Christmas time that turned the season. I’m not saying Hughton is perfect. He isn’t. He makes mistakes. But he’s done what’s been asked of him since he arrived.

You can't keep on asking players to play football that way for too long a period before they lose the will to live.

The first dangerous free-kick of the game we got summed it up for me. We are poorly coached.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
That starting eleven was utterly baffling. Gross wide right, izquierdo wide left. Reminded me of Mickey Adams Mark II. This game was crying out for 4-4-1-1 with Gross close to Murray, knocky and March out wide. Why did we have to wait 65 minutes to see the blindingly obvious? Ridiculous

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

Yet another one that has no idea that we never played 4-3-3. As soon as you use that as an argument I switch off.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Today was all about selection and set up... Murray Andone Gross and Izzy up front... Bizarre!

Izzy has had a dreadful season and played dismally and over on the other wing?! Pascal Gross is *NOT* good in this position. At all. End of. Anyone surprised? No.

Solly comes on. Different game. Gross redeems himself, Solly makes every chance we have and Murray misses a sitter than would have won the game.

Completely different, but to anyone else who sees these players regularly, the second half set up was a no brainer, so why or why set up so badly in the first half? Sorry Chris... Fan up to Cardiff but you really have lost the plot now. Devoid of anything resembling footballing intelligence.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
That starting eleven was utterly baffling. Gross wide right, izquierdo wide left. Reminded me of Mickey Adams Mark II. This game was crying out for 4-4-1-1 with Gross close to Murray, knocky and March out wide. Why did we have to wait 65 minutes to see the blindingly obvious? Ridiculous

Gross @ no.10 (after he'd been dog shit first half) was the first change that HAD to be made. Starting Izzy was completely baffling - the bloke looks injured and even more bereft of confidence than the other squad members. Bernardo, Stephens and Bruno showed up.

We are where we deserve to be. We ground out the point we needed to probably stay up. HUGE review needed after Man City

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Well in answer to the original question.

Unless Cardiff win their last 2 games.

For the third year in a row he will have earned the club close to £150 million quid by taking Brighton to and keeping them in PL

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
It's time for Hughton to stand down or be sacked at the end of the season. He's done a truly remarkable job taking us from relegation candidates down to division 1 to the Premier League and an FA cup semi final, but we can't progress any further now under him.

He would go out a legend, which is what he deserves.

My biggest concern for next season, if he remains would be how would we attract decent attacking talent when the world now knows we play with little or no attacking intent. We've effectively become an attacking players grave site with wingers asked to become auxiliary full backs and support and numbers into the box non existent.

About the only time a midfield runner got ahead of the ball was the Gross goal. Certainly in the last dozen games our default mentality as been to flood players behind the ball, to such extent we can't get out with so little pace amongst the team.

In the first half our ethos was just to get every back behind the ball. You still need to tackle, head and run. Numbers behind the ball alone won't keep clean sheets.

The starting line up picked was confused as was the first half performance.

Thankfully Cardiff and two other teams have been worse than us so far this season but next season we might not get so lucky if we survive.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

It was genuinely VERY odd wasn’t it? When I heard it was 442, I was certain it would be Knocky and March.

D

Deleted member 2719

I feel sorry for every Brighton STH who has renewed for next season if the man is still in place.
He will not and Can not change his philosophy of how football should be played.

It has been truly dire and when Hughton doesn't believe in his players and effectively stops them playing the way they can, it is sad.

The man's glass has always been half empty to me its now nearly dry.

STH good luck if Barber doesn't have the balls to chop him in May, you can enjoy another season of no intent.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Well in answer to the original question.

Unless Cardiff win their last 2 games.

For the third year in a row he will have earned the club close to £150 million quid by taking Brighton to and keeping them in PL

The only reason we will have stayed up with our points total is because of the shitness of three other teams. He is holding us back now.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Fulham's problem wasn't attack. It was defence. Jokanovic changed his back line more or less every game. They had the 7th best possession stats in the league the day he got the push.

Their problem were defensive and possibly a bit of naivety in game management.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
The only club who spent less than us this season was Cardiff. The new signings haven't been the best which is really down to recruitment, not Hughton. He's pretty much kept us up. Although if we get a new quality striker and number 10 ready for preseason, I suspect we will do better next year. Playing attacking football with our current squad will get us relegated.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
It was genuinely VERY odd wasn’t it? When I heard it was 442, I was certain it would be Knocky and March.

There are three better choices ahead of Gross on the right side. March, knockaert and jahanbakhsh. Just so bizarre

Then you have the left. Izquierdo entirely lacking fitness and form. Surely March and Locadia should be ahead of him.

Finally, why start two up top for the first time in two seasons for such an important game. Play a system we know for gods sake.

The only credit he can realistically take is acknowledging it wasn’t working and changing it, something he has regularly failed to do.

Last edited:

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Why is this thread entitled "Hughton supporters" when it is largely a playground for the complete opposite?

And it is a playground. The same posters saying the same thing over and over and over again. We get it. Personally I think it may be time for a change if we stay up but there is a very real chance we could get someone who will take us straight down, even if we play more entertaining football. But it amazes me how many times the same constantly negative posters say the same constantly negative things.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Sorry Chris. I'm done. There's just no getting away from the fact that we are dreadful. Every time we are on covered on TV or the radio, the commentary team cannot disguise their dismay. We all know it. Our football is woeful. It's not enough to be defensively resolute when we are so witless in possession. No sooner do we gain the ball than we give it straight back and invite more pressure upon ourselves.

Here we are in a game in which a win would see us safe and what have we served up so far? More of the same from a team that has failed to score in almost a quarter of a season. Just think about that for a moment. In recent games we can't even suggest we've been unlucky. We've made almost nothing. This is now the longest streak without a goal we have ever had in 119 years of trying. That is astonishing and a shocking indictment on Hughton's stewardship. I'm afraid we seem to be a broken club right now and Hughton does not seem to have any inkling of how to fix it.

He won't be sacked of course. Not at this stage of the season. We have him at least until the end of the season so we just have to soldier on as best we can.

I hate myself for feeling this way. I feel dirty for saying it but this is an utterly remarkable spell we are limping through.

Now come on lads. Bloody well prove me wrong in the next 40 minutes and make me look completely stupid. I'll happily come back on here and say I'm an idiot.

OK. So I can come back and admit to being 50% idiot. I'm thrilled and relieved with the point but I don't really see that it changes all that much in terms of how we go forward next season.

The thing is that the players that we have can play. If you think back to the early part of the season, we showed that we could attack once we went behind. There were those consecutive two all draws from two goals down and having Tottenham hanging on when we nearly pulled the same trick. So why, as the season has progressed, have we become more and more withdrawn? I can't bring myself to believe its the players but what they are being asked to do.

Even if we are in the Premier League next season, there needs to be a colossal learning exercise over the summer. Personally I would prefer a change in manager but I accept that it might not happen. Uncle Tony holds the purse strings and it's his call. Fortunately I do have complete faith in his ability to see us right over the longer term.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here