Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Career criminals scoop £4m Lotto win but are refused payout because

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The supermarkets themselves are very aware of what their average customer profiles are and select their locations and tailor their products and prices to suit. Of course there are the exceptions but I imagine these two stuck out like sore thumbs in Waitrose.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2004/mar/12/foodanddrink.shopping

Can just imagine the CCTV-monitoring people and the store detective both seeing them come through the door and going 'watch those two ******s'...................

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just to stoke the fires still further, I'm surprised nobody has picked up on just how deserving these lovable toerags are of the money:-

“Mark and me have been mates since we were little. This win’s unbelievable but we deserve the money fair and square.

Goodram — with 22 convictions for 45 criminal offences — said: “I’m off to see the Queen. This is brilliant. I deserved a bit of a break. We’re made for life.

Sadly while scrolling down the news story about the 3 year old run over by a Sainsburys lorry also caught my eye.
The level of lazy thoughtlessness shown by everybody in the story is disgusting and none of them will get the sentence they deserve.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
The supermarkets themselves are very aware of what their average customer profiles are and select their locations and tailor their products and prices to suit. Of course there are the exceptions but I imagine these two stuck out like sore thumbs in Waitrose.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2004/mar/12/foodanddrink.shopping

They look like your average Joe, I've seen plenty of average Joe's and worse in Waitrose. You could take a photo of shoppers in Waitrose and one in Morrisons and on the whole you wouldn't be able to tell who was from what social class or their morality.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
If these chaps were to pocket the 4 mill though it would save householders from being burgled from them for a while and also the booze and drugs they would consume could well kill them .

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
The report said they bought the winning ticket in Waitrose. Looking at them I'm surprised that suspicions weren't first alerted at the point of sale as they certainly don't fit any Waitrose customer profile. Only two possible reasons for them being in Waitrose, they were either on the rob or shopping on someone else's stolen card.

Or going in for their free coffee?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Best story ever.

The good news is that you've won four million pounds, congratulations. The bad news is, that you stole someone's debit card, so you can't have the four million. Unlucky ****s.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
there is no profile for a Waitrose customer or Morrisons customer.

What a load of rubbish ..... people with more money than sense do their main shopping in Wankerose .... sorry, Waitrose.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Doesn't the card holder remember now that it wasn't stolen....he gave it these two kind young men to buy some lotto tickets for him.

That all makes sense to me.

Now give him his winnings...!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
bosses think it was bought with ‘stolen bank card’.

Sorry I know it's The Sun but sometimes it's worth putting that to one side, for the story.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8941567/career-criminals-denied-lotto-win-stolen-debit-card/

If this is true, and it certainly seems that Mark & Jon-Ross are unlikely to outsmart the Lotto investigators.

latest

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
You have 6 months to claim a prize if you have a ticket but only 1 month if you don't. If I was the stolen card holder, I would put a claim in now! You never know.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
You have 6 months to claim a prize if you have a ticket but only 1 month if you don't. If I was the stolen card holder, I would put a claim in now! You never know.

Especially as all the information he or she needs is displayed in the photo!

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
They look like your average Joe, I've seen plenty of average Joe's and worse in Waitrose. You could take a photo of shoppers in Waitrose and one in Morrisons and on the whole you wouldn't be able to tell who was from what social class or their morality.

The demographic isn't purely limited to their customers. There is also a marked difference in the staff they employ. In my local Waitrose I'd estimate that 80% of the staff are middle class 6th form college students or students in their gap year. This is evident by the topics of conversation you pick up on between the staff as they fill the shelves. There is definitely a conscious snobbery regarding the Waitrose staff selection process (in my local at least) which isn't so evident in other supermarkets.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Asbo and Lick-All are very under-rated :wink:

Asbo are great and I'm just off there now.
Or at least I will be after I've imparted my story on 'work bellcheeses'.

I was about to contradict this viewpoint, on the grounds that as the card owner would have almost certainly reported it stolen and recovered any fraudulent spending, the logical conclusion of your suggestion is that the money would be paid to the credit card company.

Then I read it properly and see it was a DEBIT card, so it almost certainly WAS the card owner's money used to buy the ticket.
Your point is illogical, because it changes due to a delay in when the cardholder has to settle. It's like saying you don't own your home because the mortgage payments are on credit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here