Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Cyclist Scumbag

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I got a Brighton boris bike back from town the other day and some **** nearly run me over, I've seen things from the other side now..

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
It's an every day thing in London and I don't drive a car. Cyclists routinely go through red lights and use the pavement.

Sorry.

I'm not interested in their war with motorists, it's nothing to do with me. They need to be insured and pay the same fines motorists do.

Probably hard to believe but I NEVER cross the road when I shouldn't. Its just far too dangerous.

Cyclists should offer me the same respect I offer them, unfortunately they very often don't.

Sent from my BTV-DL09 using Tapatalk
Based on that assessment we'll need insurance for pedestrians too. Too many pedestrians not looking, reading phones, crossing randomly or when pedestrian lights are red.

Bring in jaywalking legislation too along with registration plates for bikes.

The difference with pedestrians and cyclists is their vulnerability and much reduced impact of course. It makes a huge difference.

If that were to happen the impact would be horrendous. More obesity and more grid lock and pollution. Great.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

jameswestport

Sep 7, 2011
Bloody hell what a prick!

I don't think that has anything to do with him being a cyclist he's obviously just a complete C U Next Tuesday

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Could it be that people are only really noticing the cyclists doing the wrong thing, those stopping at lights and doing the right thing do not warrant noticing?

From reading this thread it seems that pro cycling people see cyclists doing the right thing and anti cycling people see them doing the wrong thing. Coincidence?

The bloke in the OP is clearly a wanker and a thug who behaved appallingly, but I can never understand why his mode of transport is relevant. i suspect he is a wanker and a thug on 4 wheels or on foot. It is unlikely that his personality morphs when he climbs on a bike.
Of course the thug in the video isn't representative of cyclist in general, and most cyclist are decent. I confess I haven't really read the thread - are there anti cyclist here who really think all cyclists are bad?

However, it is true that us humans do morph in certain situations. When we're at football, for example, many an otherwise pleasant man starts screaming at opposition fans and puffing their chest ready for a fight. Mob mentality. It's also well known that some people can become more aggressive when behind the wheel. It would be odd if some didn't also morph when on a bike, when they know their lives are literally at risk.

Cyclist speeding through red lights is a bit of a pet hate of mine, particularly since the small children I walk to school are very vulnerable these idiots. I'd be far more angry if it was car drivers completely ignoring red lights, but cyclists can cause serious injury too, so why should we tolerate them doing it?

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Of course the thug in the video isn't representative of cyclist in general, and most cyclist are decent. I confess I haven't really read the thread - are there anti cyclist here who really think all cyclists are bad?

Joseph_Ducreux_Original_Self-Portrait.jpg

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there

However, it is true that us humans do morph in certain situations. When we're at football, for example, many an otherwise pleasant man starts screaming at opposition fans and puffing their chest ready for a fight. Mob mentality. It's also well known that some people can become more aggressive when behind the wheel. It would be odd if some didn't also morph when on a bike, when they know their lives are literally at risk.

Cyclist speeding through red lights is a bit of a pet hate of mine, particularly since the small children I walk to school are very vulnerable these idiots. I'd be far more angry if it was car drivers completely ignoring red lights, but cyclists can cause serious injury too, so why should we tolerate them doing it?
Good post and good points I'd say.

The red light bike issue is a little blurred though. There are some instances where it is better to start whilst on a red if you can see clearly to avoid getting pushed into the island or pavement as the cars take off on amber. Racing through red lights is never a good idea though

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

The red light bike issue is a little blurred though. There are some instances where it is better to start whilst on a red if you can see clearly to avoid getting pushed into the island or pavement as the cars take off on amber. Racing through red lights is never a good idea though

well he's clipped a pedestrian , who has obviously had a word , gone back and put the nut in.............i hope he gets caught and fined for assault ....prick..!

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Could it be that people are only really noticing the cyclists doing the wrong thing, those stopping at lights and doing the right thing do not warrant noticing?

From reading this thread it seems that pro cycling people see cyclists doing the right thing and anti cycling people see them doing the wrong thing. Coincidence?

The bloke in the OP is clearly a wanker and a thug who behaved appallingly, but I can never understand why his mode of transport is relevant. i suspect he is a wanker and a thug on 4 wheels or on foot. It is unlikely that his personality morphs when he climbs on a bike.

Confirmation Bias

The tendency to search for or interpret information in the way that confirms one’s preexisting beliefs, leading to statistical errors.

When people would like a certain idea to be true, they end up believing it to be true. They are motivated by wishful thinking.

For example, a person with a low self-esteem is highly sensitive to being ignored by other people, and they constantly monitor for signs that people might not like them.

Oddly confirmation bias is so strong when cycling is concerned.
(Unless that's me looking to confirm the confirmation bias!! )

Like this thread the BBC are reporting this 'headbutting cyclist' as opposed to 'a vicious assault'.

I have no idea why we are singled out.

I challenge anybody to really properly take notice of the amount of cyclists around them and see just how many are 'anti-social'.

Sure some will be, as is human nature across all forms of transport, but I guarantee it's not as bad as you expect or beyond the numbers you'll see in any other walks (or drive) of life.

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I got a Brighton boris bike back from town the other day and some **** nearly run me over, I've seen things from the other side now..

����������������������

:kiss:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Most kind.
Yes, I deliberately said 'cyclist speeding through red lights', as opposed to those who carefully go through when they can see it's clear. If they're not putting others in danger I don't really care.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Like this thread the BBC are reporting this 'headbutting cyclist' as opposed to 'a vicious assault'.
They're just added to the description, as they would with other incidents. The cycling wasn't an irrelevant point, since the situation was caused by poor cycling. Had a car driver done similar, and then got out and headbutted someone, they'd have said something like 'road rage'. You're being over sensitive.

I have no idea why we are singled out.
:cry:

I challenge anybody to really properly take notice of the amount of cyclists around them and see just how many are 'anti-social'.

Sure some will be, as is human nature across all forms of transport, but I guarantee it's not as bad as you expect or beyond the numbers you'll see in any other walks (or drive) of life.
Guarantee? What kind of guarantee are you offering? If it is as bad as I expect, are you refunding my petrol money or something? Like most people here I'd expect to see some cyclist and note than none of them are being anti-social, so it's going to have to go some to be less bad than that.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

Hhmm, so you are endorsing the one rule for cyclists one for others mentality, which clearly the knobhead in the video subscribes to. A red light is a red light for ALL road users, no exceptions (unless an emergency vehicle, obviously).

As a cyclist myself certainly not me.

Had I had been singling out a group of people, I would have used a plural in the Thread Title to denote more than the one I was highlighting as a scumbag.

It does amuse me the outrage on here.

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
When I used to drive into London a lot I saw cyclists taking some unbelievable risks. There's a cycle lane on the A3 coming out of Elephant & Castle and through Kennington. From around 5ish it's very well used with people finishing work so it gets very congested. The quicker riders want to overtake the slower ones and the amount of times I've seen people swerving out into the road without really looking is ridiculous, as a driver you just have to anticipate and be really careful.

You see bad driving and risk taking all the time on the roads but I think the difference is that in a car at those speeds if you get it wrong you have a prang and it's an inconvenience, if you get it wrong on a bike you can easily end up getting killed. It's been very well publicised how many cyclists are killed by lorries turning left but you still see people going past lorries on the inside, it's just madness.

That whole roundabout is chaos. I walk in there on my way to work and without fail will see a crash/bump/near miss every day.

As an addition to the general thread - a % of cyclists in London do seem to have real issues with red lights and get incredibly angry when I (as a pedestrian) give them some stick for doing it. The couriers are the worst. Feel very sorry for the 99% of normal cylists who abide by the rules and get lumped in with them. Do cyclists ever call out the ones who break the lights? Must be tempting

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They're just added to the description, as they would with other incidents. The cycling wasn't an irrelevant point, since the situation was caused by poor cycling. Had a car driver done similar, and then got out and headbutted someone, they'd have said something like 'road rage'. You're being over sensitive.

:cry:

Guarantee? What kind of guarantee are you offering? If it is as bad as I expect, are you refunding my petrol money or something? Like most people here I'd expect to see some cyclist and note than none of them are being anti-social, so it's going to have to go some to be less bad than that.
You have decided to call me a "complete ****" based solely on my favoured mode of transport.

Despite the evidence to the contrary I'm sure you're intelligent enough to understand why I have no desire to discuss this, or for that matter anything else, with you.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Welcome to the club [emoji3]

Although we know it’s the people not the vehicles that are to blame.

Some rules are outdated - the red light rule for cyclists could be updated for certain instances. No cyclists should ever cross a red light at speed, and pedestrians always have right of way.

Filter lights allowing cyclists to set off first are also a good idea.

Also, all cycle lanes should be built into the highway/road and not the pavement (as too many are.)

It’s also worth pointing out that just because a cycle lane exists, it does not mean that a cyclist can not use the road. Sometimes, due to the presence of pedestrians or other cyclists it’s necessary to use the road. Travelling at 30mph on a bike is very different to the average 10mph that the casual bike rider is doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Just been out for lunch and nearly got run over by a car driving scumbag.

I was about to walk across the zebra crossing at the southern point of Preston Park (literally had lifted my foot off the pavement) and the driver (bald, middle aged, fat) of the car (L444 BYA) that I had seen coming along didn't stop.

Not only did he not stop he shook his head whilst looking at me.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Based on that assessment we'll need insurance for pedestrians too. Too many pedestrians not looking, reading phones, crossing randomly or when pedestrian lights are red.

Bring in jaywalking legislation too along with registration plates for bikes.

The difference with pedestrians and cyclists is their vulnerability and much reduced impact of course. It makes a huge difference.

If that were to happen the impact would be horrendous. More obesity and more grid lock and pollution. Great.

Registration plates for pedestrians too please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here