Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Radio Two really is rubbish

boik

I never said if you don’t like rap you’re probably racist.

If you however turn around and say it’s not even music and that the entire genre is rubbish despite hearing about 4 rap songs 15 years ago then I think that yeah, it’s fair to say your problem probably isn’t actually with the music.

:shrug:

Nope, still don't get the point of your post. My dad said that punk wasn't even music. I guess that makes him racist too.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I’m not a fan of Bhangra, does that mean I hate Indians? I love Northern Soul, don’t care for Country & Western and don’t particularly like Rap (and I can’t stand jungle). I love two-tone, though. Confused? Am I a racist or not?

likewise . . . I like brown music more than pastie music . . .what does it all mean ?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
These days I often listen to Greatest Hits Radio .... minimal ad's, and they invariably play quality songs.

(I gave Absolute 80's a run for a while, but the morning presenters dominate rather than simply playing music, and they appear to have a zzzzzzzz bias to Phil Collins, Nik Kershaw and Level 40winks).

Jospeh

Oct 28, 2016
Best thing Radio 2 could do is put Steve Wright out to pasture and get Craig Charles in full time. Afternoons are much better when he's covering for Wright.

This thread has a considerable number of people who cannot understand they have moved out of a target demographic. The world has moved on from you being the audience they want chaps. You've got old and Tony Blackburn isn't coming back. Saying that Zoe Ball is awful and her kids playing recorder section is the most painful thing I've ever had to listen to.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
I stuck with Radio 1 from its outset to the early nineties and then started listening more to Radio 2. Probably due to age and the fact a lot of the good DJ's moved to Radio 2. These days I listen to Ken Bruce, Johnny Walker, Paul Gambaccini fairly regularly, Graham Norton's show is always interesting. :)
The killer for me was losing Simon Mayo, great music, so understated and very dry and I loved the peoples confessions, so funny. I can't listen to Sarah Cox it's the equivalent on Mums Net radio, appalling. :eek:
Yes I'm an old bugger, 14 when Radio 1 started. :down:
I forgot to put how good Craig Charles is, I agree with the post above get rid of Steve Wright and put him on full time.

Last edited:

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Totally agree with you Barrow Boy. Very rarely listen to R2 now that Chris Evans (I know, not everyone's cup of tea) and Simon Mayo have gone. And the fact they continue with Steve Wright. That serious jockin thing is just about the worst thing I've ever heard.

So yep, pick and choose R2 now. Ken Bruce still very good, Craig Charles, the great Tony Blackburn and POTP. Morning is now Virgin Radio.

Will be interesting to see Ms. Ball's listening figures.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This thread has a considerable number of people who cannot understand they have moved out of a target demographic. The world has moved on from you being the audience they want chaps. You've got old and Tony Blackburn isn't coming back.
It's possible that we've got to old to be the target demographic, or it's possible that R2 has become shit. I assert it's the latter. And isn't Blackburn still on? Not that I'd have listened to him.

I didn't mind Steve Wright a few decades ago, but he's crap now and still there. That's not an example of R2 now aiming at a younger audience than me, it's the opposite.

Simon Mayo was better than Sara Cox. Evens was probably better than Ball, although I'm not a fan of listening to either.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Cant stand the tedious chat of radio presenter's! I've started listening to GAYDIO , pumping house / funk music virtually all day!

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

This. Listen to it all day at work.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
One of the most amazing things I’ve realised recently is that now it’s not okay to say you don’t like black people, a lot of racist just completely write of the entirety of rap as “not music” just as a coded way of saying they don’t like black people. Completely fact about 99% of the time.

What utter rubbish. I like soul and R&B, both of which I think come under the heading of "black" music. However I can't stand rap even when it's sung by white folks. As far as liking black people? Some I like, some I don't. Same with white people.

There's a presenter called Ryland on right now talking to his mum on the phone. Unbelievable. Who gives a flying feck? And that woman on the morning show is terrible, as is the one on evening drive time. Are they trying to drive ALL their listeners away? Who exactly do they think their target audience is? I thought you tuned to Radio Two for some middle of the road music, not inane drivel from idiotic presenters. And then they have call-ins from Tracey who wants to say hello to her partner John who is painting the bathroom. Again, who really cares? Say hello to him yourself you silly cow. And Sue and Tony who are in the car on the way to Newcastle to see his mum. Do you really think anyone cares where you're going? It really is pathetic. Rant over.

Someone will say "then don't listen to Radio Two". I don't, but occasionally catch a bit of it and can't believe how truly awful it is.

Said the other day how good Ryan was on the radio and his mum is a scream, one man's scampi is another man's moby dick.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
What utter rubbish. I like soul and R&B, both of which I think come under the heading of "black" music. However I can't stand rap even when it's sung by white folks. As far as liking black people? Some I like, some I don't. Same with white people.

Haven’t you been banned in the past for racism?

Yeah, exactly. Thanks for proving my point. :lolol:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Did you know you get more for royalties when your song is played on radio 2 than the other stations?! About £30 more, £80 instead of £50 - random!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here