Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Juego de Posición

There are usually problems in the implementation in training or the adjustment and understanding of the players. Rigid positions and an extremely dogmatic style are created specifically for when the players don’t know when to leave their positions or aren’t confident in the other positions.

https://spielverlagerung.com/2014/11/26/juego-de-posicion-a-short-explanation/

It all reads very plausible, but I am not fooled.

There was something about CH's organisation in defence though.

Article says no more than three players in a horizontal line. this might be OK for Man City, but the Albion are not so mobile and we need four players to cover the width of midfield and defence.

PS; I think Graham Potter is going to work cut out trying to get our new players getting back into position when we give the ball to the opposition.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
This is a done deal, probably announced late tomorrow or Tuesday, followed by confirmation that Winstanley has ‘decided to pursue other opportunities’

Could well be both. The [recruitment team] could be going as and when Potter brings his team in. .

The Argus reporting today "Macaulay, who has been Potter’s trusted recruitment chief at both Swansea and Ostersunds FK, will also make the move.
He will report to Paul Winstanley, who heads Albion’s recruitment team."
https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/sp...w-albions-new-look-management-team-will-work/

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Time will tell......doubt they'll both be here within a few months

Agreed. When Potter arrived at Swansea he was quite keen on mentioning the importance of Macaulay. If I was a betting man after the summer window closes I'd bet that Winstanley moves on.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Agreed. When Potter arrived at Swansea he was quite keen on mentioning the importance of Macaulay. If I was a betting man after the summer window closes I'd bet that Winstanley moves on.

Good thing you didn’t bet on him going this week.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Time will tell......doubt they'll both be here within a few months

Agreed. Or worst case had to say that while they arrange a 'settlement' with Winstanley and whoever else

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The Argus reporting today "Macaulay, who has been Potter’s trusted recruitment chief at both Swansea and Ostersunds FK, will also make the move.
He will report to Paul Winstanley, who heads Albion’s recruitment team."
https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/sp...w-albions-new-look-management-team-will-work/
"Potter had not travelled to Sussex as of late yesterday afternoon and the deal was not yet complete"

Is that a source we can trust?
I guess that's a no.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Here's an extract from a Guardian story which looked back at the reaction to Wenger's appointment as Arsenal manager in 1996:

" Nick Hornby says: "I remember when Bruce Rioch was sacked, one of the papers had three or four names. It was Terry Venables, Johan Cruyff and then, at the end, Arsne Wenger. I remember thinking as a fan, I bet it's **** Arsne Wenger, because I haven't heard of him and I've heard of the other two. Trust Arsenal to appoint the boring one that you haven't heard of."

"The bookies wanted Cruyff, but the Arsenal board went for Wenger. Club captain Tony Adams was unimpressed: "At first, I thought, what does this Frenchman know about football? He wears glasses and looks more like a schoolteacher. He's not going to be as good as George Graham. Does he even speak English properly?"

"Adams was not alone in his scepticism. On Wenger's first day at training, a meeting was called and the new manager was presented to the players. He had won cups and leagues in France and Japan, and expected to be greeted by players who were familiar with his work and respectful of his success. But, as Lee Dixon recalls, it didn't quite pan out like that: "The players filed in and in front of us stood this tall, slightly built man who gave no impression whatsoever of being a football manager."

"Wenger was very much a football manager and his language skills were not going to be a problem. Sir Alex Ferguson once derided the link between Wenger's linguistic abilities and his mental acuity: "They say he's an intelligent man, right? Speaks five languages. I've got a 15-year-old boy from the Ivory Coast who speaks five languages."

Potter is English, not French, and, as far as I know, does not speak five languages. Nor does he look like a teacher. Otherwise..........f
ast forward a few years and it is possible that Potter will be acclaimed as a world class manager.u

Wenger also had won the French title , a French cup along with some things in Japan . Now the Japanese league doesn't count for a lot but to win the French league takes some doing.

I'm not sure the (semi professional at the start ) Norwegian league and a 10 th in Championship is a fair comparison in that regard

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I wonder if he's got any 'magic tricks' up his sleeve... whether he'll sweep out the dead wood from the dressing room (with his broomstick), etc..

Can we start referring to Barber as 'He who must not be named'?

:)

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
"Potter had not travelled to Sussex as of late yesterday afternoon and the deal was not yet complete"

I guess that's a no.

My guess from the reporting

Is he going to be our next manager - yes

Is the compensation package to Swansea - staff included - done - yes

Is the length of contract/ other details complete - no

Will it be sorted today / tomorrow ? - yes

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
tumblr_mrj425Tl171svctabo1_500.gif

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
My guess from the reporting

Is he going to be our next manager - yes

Is the compensation package to Swansea - staff included - done - yes

Is the length of contract/ other details complete - no

Will it be sorted today / tomorrow ? - yes
Indeed. So when you posted that the Sun had reported it was done ("Graham Potter becomes Brighton manager after rubber stamping deal to replace Chris Hughton"), I asked you if it was a source we can trust. So I guess your answer is no, it's not.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
On a side note, it’s Potters birthday today. He’s 44. Could be a nice present for him today being named Manager of Brighton.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
On a side note, it’s Potters birthday today. He’s 44. Could be a nice present for him today being named Manager of Brighton.

You can't win anything with kids.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Good thing you didn’t bet on him going this week.

I would have bet on CH getting another year right up to when I read he’d been sacked, so I wouldn’t be too convinced Winstanley is safe just yet.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm looking forward to going to a show to watch our players do some singing, rapping, and a bit of ballet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here