Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Football and mental health

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Wow how ignorant are you reverting to such language. As I've said I sympathise with genuine depression but multi millionaire footballers and the future King of England talking about it really doesn't wash with me. Maybe to alleviate his depression Danny Rose went into London and spent thousands (as he said that he does). Prince William would've gone back to his life of unbelievable privilege.

How thick are you lot to completely miss the point I'm making. I have absolute sympathy with people with mental health issues, I lost my Father 3 years ago and in the same year found out facing redundancy after 20 odd years working for the same company, I do know what it's like to face difficult circumstances. I would be far more engaged with the documentary if it featured people who weren't so priviledged and who live in the real world.

A large proportion of people with MH issues are born with them, they can run through families, it can have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the death of a relative, a redundancy, a bank balance, royal blood or whatever else external. Such a basic point, and I'm guessing if you've no experience of it you would have no comprehension of that, or possible empathy with such people, which seems to be the case with you.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Wow how ignorant are you reverting to such language. As I've said I sympathise with genuine depression but multi millionaire footballers and the future King of England talking about it really doesn't wash with me. Maybe to alleviate his depression Danny Rose went into London and spent thousands (as he said that he does). Prince William would've gone back to his life of unbelievable privilege.

How thick are you lot to completely miss the point I'm making. I have absolute sympathy with people with mental health issues, I lost my Father 3 years ago and in the same year found out facing redundancy after 20 odd years working for the same company, I do know what it's like to face difficult circumstances. I would be far more engaged with the documentary if it featured people who weren't so priviledged and who live in the real world.

No one is missing the point, but you seem to be suggesting that wealth and privilege make you immune from mental health issues. What is the real world? Your real world, mine, Prince William's, maybe all the examples of successful wealthy individuals who have taken their own lives? It's more than just difficult circumstances. Some people handle difficult circumstances really well, others can be crippled by anxiety or depression without apparent triggers.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Wouldn't it be joyful to be as ignorant as the OP towards mental health in our species? Those that don't/have never suffered are so fortunate. If I were a multi millionaire with mental health problems I'd gladly give the lot away to live a 'normal' life. As far as football is concerned, two come straight off the top of my head, Gary Speed and Paul Gascoigne. The former was in a good financial position, the latter has spunked it all due to mental health.

Take a bow son (as used to be said on football commentary).

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Wouldn't it be joyful to be as ignorant as the OP towards mental health in our species? Those that don't/have never suffered are so fortunate. If I were a multi millionaire with mental health problems I'd gladly give the lot away to live a 'normal' life. As far as football is concerned, two come straight off the top of my head, Gary Speed and Paul Gascoigne. The former was in a good financial position, the latter has spunked it all due to mental health.

Take a bow son (as used to be said on football commentary).

Really? Easy to say that harder to do. I would gladly swap mental well being (whatever that is) for a few million and when I felt down I would get on a plane and sit on a beach drinking pina coladas.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
A large proportion of people with MH issues are born with them, they can run through families, it can have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the death of a relative, a redundancy, a bank balance, royal blood or whatever else external. Such a basic point, and I'm guessing if you've no experience of it you would have no comprehension of that, or possible empathy with such people, which seems to be the case with you.

The Royal example is the one I find the hardest to understand why anyone would think he "had it easy".

This is someone who was born to do a certain job. No choice, no option, from birth he has been told exactly how is life would be. He has had a series of nannies due to the inevitable absence of his parents, one of which died very publicly and which the prevailing 'conspiracy story' still touted by the less high brow media is that his grandparents arranged her death.
His childhood, teenage years, education etc were all played out in the public eye.

He literally never has a day off, he has had close protection with him (or near him) his entire life.

He has never been allowed to a have what we would consider normal life experiences.

It comes as no surprise to me, his mental health has taken a severe beating and I have the greatest respect for him entering the debate and dismissing some of the taboos.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
That is frankly bollocks. Of course young people can be persuaded not use drugs, smoke, or get addicted to alcohol. The problem generally is bad parenting.

I was hoping this terrible thread would disappear but since it's still about I really want to get a couple of things off my chest as it's made me probably the angriest I've ever been in my life:

goldstone has overstepped the mark completely by insinuating that my parents have brought me up badly with me taking drugs. How dare, how BLOODY dare he judge them and make shocking remarks? Personal abuse towards me is fine - I can handle that - but when you bring my mum and dad into it then he's well and truly overstepped the mark. I'd be interested to know if he's a father and if his children have ever tried drugs or got so drunk they've been sick all over a new carpet? I'm incredibly proud of my parents and I'd do anything for them and vice versa. I won't go into details about how difficult things got when my sister, myself and brother were young but I am so honoured to call them my parents who have supported me through good and bad times.

Shame on you, goldstone. What a complete and utter waste of sperm you are.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

'How ignorant you are...' .... Haha I think you'll find youre quite clearly the ignorant one, as pointed out by everyone else on this thread. Beggars belief that you're still trying to push your ridiculous belief

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
'How ignorant you are...' .... Haha I think you'll find youre quite clearly the ignorant one, as pointed out by everyone else on this thread. Beggars belief that you're still trying to push your ridiculous belief

I live in the real world not the namby pamby one. I believe in getting on with it and not feeling sorry for ya self. Ha ha lights blue touch paper.......

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I live in the real world not the namby pamby one. I believe in getting on with it and not feeling sorry for ya self. Ha ha lights blue touch paper.......

Unfortunately you are not lighting any blue touch paper, you are just showing how totally ignorant you are

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

Well fortunately the vast majority of people, who do live in the real world unlike you, understand mental illness more than you.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I lost my Father 3 years ago and in the same year found out facing redundancy after 20 odd years working for the same company, I do know what it's like to face difficult circumstances. I would be far more engaged with the documentary if it featured people who weren't so priviledged and who live in the real world.

Let's try a different tack here, BS.

I'm genuinely sorry that you lost your father 3 years ago and that redundancy came in the same year after such a long time of loyalty working for that company.

I wouldn't wish that set of circumstances on anyone, regardless of views on mental health, depression or anything else for that matter.

That said, surely it's to the credit of those taking part in the documentary that they are using their public positions in royalty, media or sport to help others.

It would be far easier to metaphorically look the other way and claim to be 'too busy with current media and sponsorship commitments and obligations' to bother.

After all, they don't have to do it.

We're always bemoaning the fact that people in the public spotlight are often imperfect role models. (As if we'd necessarily do any better in those circumstances...)

And then we criticize them when they step up and try and make a difference for good in some small way.

Only the truly cynical would view this excellent initiative as opportunism to boost popularity.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Let's try a different tack here, BS.

I'm genuinely sorry that you lost your father 3 years ago and that redundancy came in the same year after such a long time of loyalty working for that company.

I wouldn't wish that set of circumstances on anyone, regardless of views on mental health, depression or anything else for that matter.

That said, surely it's to the credit of those taking part in the documentary that they are using their public positions in royalty, media or sport to help others.

It would be far easier to metaphorically look the other way and claim to be 'too busy with current media and sponsorship commitments and obligations' to bother.

After all, they don't have to do it.

We're always bemoaning the fact that people in the public spotlight are often imperfect role models. (As if we'd necessarily do any better in those circumstances...)

And then we criticize them when they step up and try and make a difference for good in some small way.

Only the truly cynical would view this excellent initiative as opportunism to boost popularity.

Celebs revealing their mental anguish is helping to remove the hidden taboo. Encouraging those suffering in silence, often males, to seek help. It can only be a good thing.

The Royal example is the one I find the hardest to understand why anyone would think he "had it easy".

This is someone who was born to do a certain job. No choice, no option, from birth he has been told exactly how is life would be. He has had a series of nannies due to the inevitable absence of his parents, one of which died very publicly and which the prevailing 'conspiracy story' still touted by the less high brow media is that his grandparents arranged her death.
His childhood, teenage years, education etc were all played out in the public eye.

He literally never has a day off, he has had close protection with him (or near him) his entire life.

He has never been allowed to a have what we would consider normal life experiences.

It comes as no surprise to me, his mental health has taken a severe beating and I have the greatest respect for him entering the debate and dismissing some of the taboos.

A big "this" from me - saved me posting something very similar.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
F**k off you c**t.

Having had numerous people explain why your 'opinion' was factually incorrect and having numerous people explain their own personal battles with depression you still don't have the balls to apologise for the comments you have made.

You are an uneducated, ignorant t**t and I hope you never come back.

I think he’s on a shit stirring wind-up. At the same time green with envy of folk such as Knockaert, Rose, Speed and Carlisle because they’ve got (or had) a few bob in the bank.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Everyone lives in the "real world" :rolleyes:

It's not like if you're a footballer or any other kind of role model you live in an actual parallel universe. You have stress to deal with all the time I should imagine, just stress of a different nature. And it certainly doesn't make you immune from Depression. Because it's a DISEASE. An ILLNESS.

However, if you are a role model or in the public eye then you can encourage people who are not to believe that it's ok to talk, that it's ok to seek help and (really importantly) it CAN happen to anyone.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I was hoping this terrible thread would disappear but since it's still about I really want to get a couple of things off my chest as it's made me probably the angriest I've ever been in my life:

goldstone has overstepped the mark completely by insinuating that my parents have brought me up badly with me taking drugs. How dare, how BLOODY dare he judge them and make shocking remarks? Personal abuse towards me is fine - I can handle that - but when you bring my mum and dad into it then he's well and truly overstepped the mark. I'd be interested to know if he's a father and if his children have ever tried drugs or got so drunk they've been sick all over a new carpet? I'm incredibly proud of my parents and I'd do anything for them and vice versa. I won't go into details about how difficult things got when my sister, myself and brother were young but I am so honoured to call them my parents who have supported me through good and bad times.

Shame on you, goldstone. What a complete and utter waste of sperm you are.

I'm not defending goldstone (he's already discredited himself here), but he was commenting "generally" rather than specifically about your parents.

I know you've had your problems, but your posts on NSC suggest your parents did a pretty good job. :thumbsup:

Don't waste time or energy worrying about people like goldstone.

[Edit: apologies for boucing the thread!]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here