Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... šŸ˜Š

[Other Sport] Brighton Marathon - 10th Year !! šŸƒ*ā™‚ļø

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I finished again but I didnā€™t run it but 8 marathons done now.
So were you walking it, because that was your challenge, or were you running, but at a slower pace, because you're old or unfit or what? How long did it take you?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Did anyone see the lady offering Ritz Cheese Crackers in one hand and Jaffa Cakes in the other at just after turning back onto Kings Road from Grand Avenue.

Thanks, but no thanks.
Minging. If you manage to grab a jelly baby (or 3) from a silver tray at the 24 mile mark, you're welcome :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So were you walking it, because that was your challenge, or were you running, but at a slower pace, because you're old or unfit or what? How long did it take you?

You have such a lovely way with words.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Ran 10K in 52 mins.... enjoyed every minute and the support was great.
First time I have run in Brighton since competing in the 1984 Half Marathon when the route was changed drastically in the wake of the Grand Hotel bombing...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Youā€™re walking on glass here, Trig, or running on glass as you may prefer. I was running it until thighs started to go and walked 7 miles from the King Alfred. Iā€™m not old or unfit. I finished in under 5 hours.

Maybe you should get on the Prom next year and counteract all the positive vocal support with your own cynical jeers;
Who ate all the pies? You fat Bastar.....
Youā€™re going home in a f****** ambulance...
Come on itā€™s meant to be a run.....

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
This was my girlfriends first marathon and she had a nightmare. After about 14 miles her knees were in excruciating pain so after a great first half, she ended up walking most of the last few miles and crossed the line absolutely gutted. I really felt for her because we had trained together and put all the hard miles in together over the past few months.

She would be the first to admit that her knees were a bit of a worry beforehand because she knew her knees were weaker than they should be due to her dancing/sports when younger.

However, we ran three 18-mile runs and two 20-mile runs in the preceding few months (as well as lots of shorter distances) and her knees were fine.

I can only think the camber of the road from Kemp Town to Ovingdean and back again put too much strain on her knees.

Do any of you marathon experts out there think the camber of the coast road could have played a part?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Pretty polite by your standards.

Iā€™m the first to admit Iā€™m a bit spikey on certain threads.. But like the restaurant thread, the music threads and the Fridat drinking thread, no one comes on here to troll, goad, or belittle people. Itā€™s a nice community where we accept and welcome and all levels and help each other and engage in something we all like. Iā€™d like to keep it this way. If you genuinely want to know if walking a marathon is deemed legitimate feel free to ask....but please frame your question appropriately.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
This was my girlfriends first marathon and she had a nightmare. After about 14 miles her knees were in excruciating pain so after a great first half, she ended up walking most of the last few miles and crossed the line absolutely gutted. I really felt for her because we had trained together and put all the hard miles in together over the past few months.

She would be the first to admit that her knees were a bit of a worry beforehand because she knew her knees were weaker than they should be due to her dancing/sports when younger.

However, we ran three 18-mile runs and two 20-mile runs in the preceding few months (as well as lots of shorter distances) and her knees were fine.

I can only think the camber of the road from Kemp Town to Ovingdean and back again put too much strain on her knees.

Do any of you marathon experts out there think the camber of the coast road could have played a part?

Bad luck that but good she crossed the line. I always try to avoid the camber and follow the most level part of a course. It could be that or more likely the mileage accumulation from training suddenly tiring the legs.

Iā€™ll be wincing around Harveyā€™s pubs in Lewes all afternoon. Iā€™ll need a few to numb the anticipated pain of getting to ESU.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Iā€™ll be wincing around Harveyā€™s pubs in Lewes all afternoon. Iā€™ll need a few to numb the anticipated pain of getting to ESU.

And thatā€™s before the real pain starts at 7:45.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Certainly not an expert but cambers can really throw you. My last (in every sense) marathon was on the Preston Park velodrome track (all 72 laps) which is a camber-fest. It was akin to running 26+ miles with one leg considerably shorter than the other - and to make matters worse, every time you were overtaken (which was rather a lot in my case) you had to move to the right i.e. further up the camber. I seized up after about 15 miles and limped home in a 'poor' time..ā€¦ā€¦...but no permanent damage (other than to the ego).

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Certainly not an expert but cambers can really throw you. My last (in every sense) marathon was on the Preston Park velodrome track (all 72 laps) which is a camber-fest. It was akin to running 26+ miles with one leg considerably shorter than the other - and to make matters worse, every time you were overtaken (which was rather a lot in my case) you had to move to the right i.e. further up the camber. I seized up after about 15 miles and limped home in a 'poor' time..ā€¦ā€¦...but no permanent damage (other than to the ego).

PTSD can hit you any time. I know.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I did my first (and possibly last, tho never say never)10k on Sunday, to raise funds and awareness for my two little great-nephew twins who are both battling childhood leukemia at the age of 3. I'm WAY too old and overweight and asthmatic to be doing such things, as well being crippled by gout for a significant time when I should have been training for the run. Not ashamed to say I probably speed-walked as much as I jogged (1:33 thank you for asking). But even when I was speed walking, I received nothing but support from many of the inspirational people doing the run, as well as the lovely people who had come out to cheer on complete strangers. And total respect to all the volunteers made the day possible. It really was a fantastic experience and one I'd recommend to anybody thinking of doing it.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I did my first (and possibly last, tho never say never)10k on Sunday, to raise funds and awareness for my two little great-nephew twins who are battling childhood at the age of 3. I'm WAY too old and overweight and asthmatic to be doing such things, as well being crippled by gout for a significant time when I should have been training for the run. Not ashamed to say I probably speed-walked as much as I jogged (1:33 thank you for asking). But even when I was speed walking, I received nothing but support from many of the inspirational people doing the run, as well as the lovely people who had come out to cheer on complete strangers. And total respect to all the volunteers made the day possible. It really was a fantastic experience.

:clap2: :clap2: :bowdown:

Quick question please:

Mate of mine did it, aimed for sub 4 hours, paced it exactly on his watch thingy, got to the finish and got the notification straight away of 3 hrs, 59 minutes, 55 seconds.

The app however is showing 4 hrs, 20 seconds.

Which one does he take?

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I did my first (and possibly last, tho never say never)10k on Sunday, to raise funds and awareness for my two little great-nephew twins who are both battling childhood leukemia at the age of 3. I'm WAY too old and overweight and asthmatic to be doing such things, as well being crippled by gout for a significant time when I should have been training for the run. Not ashamed to say I probably speed-walked as much as I jogged (1:33 thank you for asking). But even when I was speed walking, I received nothing but support from many of the inspirational people doing the run, as well as the lovely people who had come out to cheer on complete strangers. And total respect to all the volunteers made the day possible. It really was a fantastic experience and one I'd recommend to anybody thinking of doing it.

Well done for persevering through the Cto5k and then moving on to this - great achievement.

Having watched the full course of marathon runners on Sunday, from the winner to the last stragglers, it struck me that for many of the slowest marathon runners the achievement is actually the greatest - especially as they do it largely without the support.

And thats what makes BM a great day for all involved.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I finished again but I didnā€™t run it but 8 marathons done now.
Youā€™re walking on glass here, Trig, or running on glass as you may prefer. I was running it until thighs started to go and walked 7 miles from the King Alfred. Iā€™m not old or unfit. I finished in under 5 hours.
In which case, why did you say you didn't run it? You seem to be confused.

Come on itā€™s meant to be a run.....
Exactly :shrug:

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Quick question please:

Mate of mine did it, aimed for sub 4 hours, paced it exactly on his watch thingy, got to the finish and got the notification straight away of 3 hrs, 59 minutes, 55 seconds.

Which one does he take?
Most likely explanation...
On the App you should see ā€˜Gun Timeā€™ and ā€˜Chip Timeā€™ (Just under the finish time). Gun Time starts from when the starter says ā€˜Goā€™, Chip Time starts from when the runner crosses the start line and so of course is the real time run. Chip Time will always be less or equal to Gun Time, so I would guess your friend met his sub 4 target.(Unless there was an error with the text and the time has been corrected).

Last edited:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Most likely explanation...
On the App you should see ā€˜Gun Timeā€™ and ā€˜Chip Timeā€™ (Just under the finish time). Gun Time starts from when the starter says ā€˜Goā€™, Chip Time starts from when the runner crosses the start line and so of course is the real time run. Chip Time will always be less or equal to Gun Time, so I would guess your friend met his sub 4 target.(Unless there was an error with the text and the time has been corrected).

For a 4 hour runner I would have thought the difference between the gun time and the chip time would have been more than 25 seconds.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Quick question please:

Which one does he take?

My club Arena80 runners are saying there was up to 30 seconds added to some of their actual watch times. They have a contact to have their times amended. For your friend he should just accept the sub 4.

From the Arena site
Yes, complain about it here: https://ipicoemea.wufoo.com/forms/mt8892u1bohin9/, I'm hoping they will fix it because so many people had it happen

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here