Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Lineker

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The big problem with BBC's coverage is that it is entirely led by ex-pros. Each have an affinity for their old clubs, but none know what it is really like to be a fan. There is a place for the pro who could give the viewer an insight into what a player might be thinking, but why do we need three or four all with the same thing to give? Why not a fan, a historian, a statistician, a ref, a coach, a journalist? No we'll just have matey banter between ex players who all played for clubs in the top six, because they're the most famous. They will moan when games aren't up to standard even though they are BEING PAID TO WATCH FOOTBALL! They will do varying amounts of research (Somewhere between none: Alan Shearer and almost none: Everybody else) and fill in the blanks with in-jokes about each other's careers. Sky's Saturday coverage seems to be the model, but they have missed the glaringly obvious that this only works because of Jeff Stelling. Without him, left with just the ill-informed blatherings of Merson, Thompson etc. it would be completely unbearable.

As for Lineker, he is a perfectly serviceable presenter in a One Show type of fashion, but he is not, and never will be a comedian. This was made clear to all when he appeared on'They Think It's All over' back in the nineties. It never seems to have been clear to him though and social media has let him indulge himself to Partridge-like levels. As Ted Bovis might have said, if he'd read Stewart Lee's books 'The first rule of comedy Gary is you don't punch down.' As a rich and famous middle aged white man who did half the country's dream job and as a result of that and some adverts, fell into another dream job, you don't have many people to punch up at.

The journalism around our cup run this year has been massively lazy and predictable. We have been cast as both the Premier League team that are going to fall victim to a giant killing and the also runs there to take a pasting from the world beaters. Our story doesn't give easy reward to lazy journalism. We don't have a controversial manager, we play pragmatic football, we're not a city with an industrial working class history, we don't have a long history of trophy success, nor an array of famous players who used to play for us.

The Brighton story is there though. It's the same as, and different to, the story of every football club. It's about people, its about community and history, family, obsession, friendship, love, loss, failure, disappointment and the very occasional success. I'm sure that the likes of Paul Hayward or our very own NotAndyNaylor could have provided an insight into why some of the more than 30,000 people from all walks of life dropped everything and went to witness an almost certain defeat yesterday, and why they were all still there at the end after the winners had left, but this would have involved a bit more intelligence, work and imagination than the BBC was willing to commit.

No story here, let's just let a massively over-privileged group of middle aged men complain that the match wasn't entertaining enough for them. It's always worked in the past.
Well said.

We were there trying our best to get a result, but Al just wanted us to be more entertaining and lose by more.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
The big problem with BBC's coverage is that it is entirely led by ex-pros. Each have an affinity for their old clubs, but none know what it is really like to be a fan. There is a place for the pro who could give the viewer an insight into what a player might be thinking, but why do we need three or four all with the same thing to give? Why not a fan, a historian, a statistician, a ref, a coach, a journalist? No we'll just have matey banter between ex players who all played for clubs in the top six, because they're the most famous. They will moan when games aren't up to standard even though they are BEING PAID TO WATCH FOOTBALL! They will do varying amounts of research (Somewhere between none: Alan Shearer and almost none: Everybody else) and fill in the blanks with in-jokes about each other's careers. Sky's Saturday coverage seems to be the model, but they have missed the glaringly obvious that this only works because of Jeff Stelling. Without him, left with just the ill-informed blatherings of Merson, Thompson etc. it would be completely unbearable.

As for Lineker, he is a perfectly serviceable presenter in a One Show type of fashion, but he is not, and never will be a comedian. This was made clear to all when he appeared on'They Think It's All over' back in the nineties. It never seems to have been clear to him though and social media has let him indulge himself to Partridge-like levels. As Ted Bovis might have said, if he'd read Stewart Lee's books 'The first rule of comedy Gary is you don't punch down.' As a rich and famous middle aged white man who did half the country's dream job and as a result of that and some adverts, fell into another dream job, you don't have many people to punch up at.

The journalism around our cup run this year has been massively lazy and predictable. We have been cast as both the Premier League team that are going to fall victim to a giant killing and the also runs there to take a pasting from the world beaters. Our story doesn't give easy reward to lazy journalism. We don't have a controversial manager, we play pragmatic football, we're not a city with an industrial working class history, we don't have a long history of trophy success, nor an array of famous players who used to play for us.

The Brighton story is there though. It's the same as, and different to, the story of every football club. It's about people, its about community and history, family, obsession, friendship, love, loss, failure, disappointment and the very occasional success. I'm sure that the likes of Paul Hayward or our very own NotAndyNaylor could have provided an insight into why some of the more than 30,000 people from all walks of life dropped everything and went to witness an almost certain defeat yesterday, and why they were all still there at the end after the winners had left, but this would have involved a bit more intelligence, work and imagination than the BBC was willing to commit.

No story here, let's just let a massively over-privileged group of middle aged men complain that the match wasn't entertaining enough for them. It's always worked in the past.

Great post and you’re spot in about ex pro’s. That’s why Podcasts are doing so well because you actually hear proper, intelligent debate from decent journalists and broadcasters who are smart, articulate themselves well and are ultimately fans.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Best post I’ve read on here for a while :thumbsup:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
We saw Gary and Al after the game, and asked Al what he thought of it. He said something along the lines of 'it was the worst game I've seen'. We thought he was joking, but it appears not.

Sure it wasn't one for the neutral to enjoy goals, great saves, a comeback, etc, but as a (so called) pro he should have been able to appreciate the game we were able to play. But then I guess he never really understood football management.

The worst game he has ever seen just about sums him up, a stupid thing to say.
I have seen much worse games in the past 2 weeks in the PL let alone in the past 50 years.
Cretin.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I have seen much worse games in the past 2 weeks in the PL let alone in the past 50 years.
Cretin.

In reality they don’t give a toss about the fan in the street and say anything to get rid of them, hoping for a cheap laugh. Wouldn’t it be great if they weren’t recognised or just ignored........ but many fans like to brag in years to come how “they had a good chat with XX and he had all the time in the world to chat about the Albion, bought me a pint, etc etc”

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Cretin.

Most involving Brighton, unfortunately.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
We saw Gary and Al after the game, and asked Al what he thought of it. He said something along the lines of 'it was the worst game I've seen'. We thought he was joking, but it appears not.

Sure it wasn't one for the neutral to enjoy goals, great saves, a comeback, etc, but as a (so called) pro he should have been able to appreciate the game we were able to play. But then I guess he never really understood football management.

Both pricks

REDTOP

May 11, 2018
I think someone should find an email address for someone high in the BBC sports department and send them this post, if this doesn't make someone stop and say "you know what, we've got it wrong" then nothing ever will...

I wrote to the BBC via the BBC contact us webform, google it, on their website a couple of months ago about the poor quality of their coverage of the Premier League apart from the "Big 6" and the lack of knowledge/interest shown in other clubs. I got a reply and was told my comments had been passed to the MOTD team. I replied to the reply but got no further reply. As many people as possible should write to them and not just about their coverage of the Seagulls, but generally about the poor quality of the punditry.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
before the game showing our boys in 83 on the helicopter

Lineker saying you wouldn't get me on that

very poor taste from a leicester man

I found this so incredible I made a formal complaint to the BBC, any one else who wants to make this 'person' apologies, they should also complain, if nothing else just to humble the *w*t

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
These so called ''Pundits'' want their bollocks tickled by Man City and Liverpool playing scintillating football and scintillating passing moves all the time so that they can talk about the Title race and the quadruple constantly.

The pad passes by City wore by no stretch of the imagination bad passes - They were the same type of passes that they play every week which split defences open every 3 or 4 minutes of every game. The difference yesterday. Our players had sat and studied those passes during the week. Propper, Stephens, Dunk, Duffy, Bissouma Montoya and Bernardo read the and intercepted a lot of them. That's why the passes, never reached their intended destination. We stopped them getting there.

Those players stopped Man City being Man City - OK we didn't create loads of chances ourselves but those Man City defenders had to do their jobs yesterday and that is not something you can't say too often against teams below say 8th in the League.

Normally they sit back wearing Sombreros and sipping cocktails in matches - Yesterday they were flustered and that's down to the effort Brighton players put in.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I am still trying to get my swede round it because at half time they were sort of complimentary but the 2nd half was far more exciting and if a higher quality than the first half.
But at the end they all totally slagged Brighton off with the odd mention of city not being at the races.
A far cry from the constant admiration of how Brighton have risen from the ashes into a fabulous new stadium and up to the PL with TV and the media falling over each other to show a match from The Amex, and survive our first season and probably 2nd and yet this season and especially yesterday we seem to be the team to have a pop at.
Yes we play a certain way, yes I don't agree that we play that way in games we should be attacking, like Southampton, which really pissed me off, but if we survive this season, considering our history and to make it to a QF & SF of the FA Cup, we have done remarkably well, and that should have been mentioned yesterday, when we fought and battled with some decent football.
Still really pissed off with The BBC.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

I am fed up with players analysing matches. Especially the same ones - However, I don't want ex referees either. They just sit and defend refereeing decisions. Its like the Police , policing themselves. It doesn't work. Look at the VAR incident yesterday. A referee reviewing a referring decision where the outcome wasn't clear cut. In those instances they are always going to side with the referee.

I havn't seen the VAR decisions in the Watford v Wolves game but Clinton Morrison suggested on Sky that 2 of the VAR decisions were incorrect and only the penalty award was the correct decision following VAR.

I am a fan of VAR but I am not sure who should be doing the reviewing. These refs all know each other, so they are going to support each others decisions whenever possible in the ''marginal instances'' - It worked in the World cup because the VAR referees were from different countries and didn't necessarily have any affinity to the match referee.

I have tried to think of a way to replicate the in the domestic game here in the UK but can't .

Punditry is the total opposite. They keep themselves in jobs by being controversial and outspoken because the TV Companies think that is what the public want and to a certain extent it is but although that makes good TV for a neutral. It isn't always a true reflection of what has gone on. It is merely an attempt by the Pundit to provide that controversy and keep themselves in jobs.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I found this so incredible I made a formal complaint to the BBC, any one else who wants to make this 'person' apologies, they should also complain, if nothing else just to humble the *w*t
Are you sure his comment was made in bad taste, and not just him always being against flying in one?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

One of the best posts I've read on here in a long time, and I agree with every point.

In particular the idea of having a journalist on the MOTD panel. A professional writer who went to one of the games that they are discussing that evening. A Paul Hayward, or Martin Samuel, or Henry Winter in the studio would provide some fantastic un-partisan, articulate, interesting analysis on the games of the day. FAR more engaging, surely, than another dreary monologue from Shearer or Murphy.

We have some truly brilliant writers in our media, full of insight and opinion. I'd really enjoy their input on MOTD.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
One of the best posts I've read on here in a long time, and I agree with every point.

In particular the idea of having a journalist on the MOTD panel. A professional writer who went to one of the games that they are discussing that evening. A Paul Hayward, or Martin Samuel, or Henry Winter in the studio would provide some fantastic un-partisan, articulate, interesting analysis on the games of the day. FAR more engaging, surely, than another dreary monologue from Shearer or Murphy.

We have some truly brilliant writers in our media, full of insight and opinion. I'd really enjoy their input on MOTD.

For a reasoned view of Saturday, the BBC Five Live Football Daily of 8 April is well worth a listen with quite a lot about us from approx 16:30 onwards. Pity the presenters weren't on MOTD instead of those buffoons.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Great post! About the old club - or, in this case, current club bias - but when Liam Rosenior was on the other day hee seemed to be trying to be impartial. The trouble is they were all going back to him working for Brighton and playing for CH, it's almost like they were trying to bring the bias out of him!

I thought the four goons were pretty shite on Saturday. Toure there as part of the City love-in and the other two see just stale and bland.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I am still trying to get my swede round it because at half time they were sort of complimentary but the 2nd half was far more exciting and if a higher quality than the first half.
But at the end they all totally slagged Brighton off with the odd mention of city not being at the races.
A far cry from the constant admiration of how Brighton have risen from the ashes into a fabulous new stadium and up to the PL with TV and the media falling over each other to show a match from The Amex, and survive our first season and probably 2nd and yet this season and especially yesterday we seem to be the team to have a pop at.
Yes we play a certain way, yes I don't agree that we play that way in games we should be attacking, like Southampton, which really pissed me off, but if we survive this season, considering our history and to make it to a QF & SF of the FA Cup, we have done remarkably well, and that should have been mentioned yesterday, when we fought and battled with some decent football.
Still really pissed off with The BBC.
I think the Southampton performance was clear evidence that the minds of the players were already on Wembley - as I said after that game.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I think the Southampton performance was clear evidence that the minds of the players were already on Wembley - as I said after that game.

Very much seems like it; I just hope they all are now back down on planet earth and can nail the points we need to stay up.
Nothing can be taken from granted given our pretty poor showings against fellow strugglers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here