Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Big upward movement for [MENTION=1508]BenElton'sBrother[/MENTION]. Jumping above [MENTION=25508]soistes[/MENTION]. How is you're bad graze Soistes? Looked pretty rough at Hove Prom Saturday. Good luck with it.

Yes, great running [MENTION=1508]BenElton'sBrother[/MENTION] .

I'm only looking at my AG performance these days, and not expecting to improve that at all, at least until after London marathon.

Thanks for asking, Knocky. I think it's ok - I took a stupid tumble on a broken paving stone while jogging down to the Prom before the run and, as well as bashing up my knee, seem to have got some bad bruising on my hip, which was hurting quite a lot after the Parkrun. Perhaps foolishly, I did my planned 21 miler on Sunday as per the marathon training schedule, and was really struggling with the last 4-5 miles, and couldn't keep to the intended marathon pace at all, so I'm now limping a bit and on enforced rest for a few days, with fingers crossed that it's nothing serious.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
5 x 1 mile sprints for me today - 6:03, 6:23, 6:23, 6:18, 6:13. :ohmy: I was targeting 6:30 per, and couldn't get the pace right but it was more important to run them at a quick pace than hit the time target so I smashed them out. Miles 2 and 3 were slightly longer, 1.02 according to the watch, so the actual 1 mile time for each is probably pretty close except the first which was madness. I ran the central part of Preston Park, using the natural curves in the path and ran through the parkrun finish line on the final lap. Essentially it was 5 x 2 laps of the central pathway in Preston Park. Going to be a boring map!

In total, I've now run 46 miles in the last 4 days. I'm starting to feel a little bit of stiffness but still able to pump out the pace as required and feel like I've got plenty in the tank. Another 7 miles recovery tomorrow (yesterday was also meant to have been 7!) and then a 10 miler at 7:15 per on thursday. Saturday brings 3 x 15 minutes at 6:45 per mile and sunday is a 19 miler at 7:15 per mile with [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] to keep me honest! Another tough week but feeling strong and excited for race day!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
5 x 1 mile sprints for me today - 6:03, 6:23, 6:23, 6:18, 6:13. :ohmy: I was targeting 6:30 per, and couldn't get the pace right but it was more important to run them at a quick pace than hit the time target so I smashed them out. Miles 2 and 3 were slightly longer, 1.02 according to the watch, so the actual 1 mile time for each is probably pretty close except the first which was madness. I ran the central part of Preston Park, using the natural curves in the path and ran through the parkrun finish line on the final lap. Essentially it was 5 x 2 laps of the central pathway in Preston Park. Going to be a boring map!

In total, I've now run 46 miles in the last 4 days. I'm starting to feel a little bit of stiffness but still able to pump out the pace as required and feel like I've got plenty in the tank. Another 7 miles recovery tomorrow (yesterday was also meant to have been 7!) and then a 10 miler at 7:15 per on thursday. Saturday brings 3 x 15 minutes at 6:45 per mile and sunday is a 19 miler at 7:15 per mile with [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] to keep me honest! Another tough week but feeling strong and excited for race day!

That is definitely a young mans schedule - I'd be more broken than I currently am after just a couple of days of that! Good effort though... just don't over-do it!

Another mile in the pool for me today, though it felt like swimming through treacle. Just like with running, there are off days.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
That is definitely a young mans schedule - I'd be more broken than I currently am after just a couple of days of that! Good effort though... just don't over-do it!

Another mile in the pool for me today, though it felt like swimming through treacle. Just like with running, there are off days.

I've built up to it in the last 8 weeks or so, it's been a steady progression and I'm pleased with where I am. I trust my friend who put together the plan, he took elements from established marathon training plans and then factored in my general needs given I was particularly unfit in January. I was struggling to run sub-22 around the parkrun. I think I could be pushing for sub-19 if I were to race one at the weekend. It's been a rapid turnaround with the intention of being delivered on the day ready to smash it out the park. I'm doing a lot in the weeks leading up to it - if it works then I'll keep it going forward, but if it doesn't then before my next marathon this year I'll know to taper quicker and more significantly. I want to do at least one more this year, probably 2 and maybe 3, depending on how Brighton goes.

What's your general swimming technique like? Are you a reliable swimmer, or is it quite new to you? I'm woeful in the pool, it's good exercise and mixes up the training but I know I'm an awful swimmer.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
What's your general swimming technique like? Are you a reliable swimmer, or is it quite new to you? I'm woeful in the pool, it's good exercise and mixes up the training but I know I'm an awful swimmer.

My swimming technique... hmm, untrained but efficient is probably the best way to describe my technique! I've learnt to concentrate my efforts in the water, and try to keep splash to a minimum, then I can pootle up and down for 40 minutes (about 80 lengths/1.25 miles) in the fast lane without getting in anyone's way.

I've been swimming pretty regularly all my life so I guess I'm quite reliable. I was a swimmer before I was a runner, so I find it a nice way to relax and take the strain off my legs whilst still getting some exercise.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Yes, great running [MENTION=1508]BenElton'sBrother[/MENTION] .

I'm only looking at my AG performance these days, and not expecting to improve that at all, at least until after London marathon.

Thanks for asking, Knocky. I think it's ok - I took a stupid tumble on a broken paving stone while jogging down to the Prom before the run and, as well as bashing up my knee, seem to have got some bad bruising on my hip, which was hurting quite a lot after the Parkrun. Perhaps foolishly, I did my planned 21 miler on Sunday as per the marathon training schedule, and was really struggling with the last 4-5 miles, and couldn't keep to the intended marathon pace at all, so I'm now limping a bit and on enforced rest for a few days, with fingers crossed that it's nothing serious.

I'm a habitual tripper-up/faller-over and it's never fun. Best of luck with the recovery. I saw your gash (er, don't get me wrong) on Strava and big respect to you for doing a 21 miler the next day.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I basically don't run anymore after having a heart scare, all about the swimming now. Will never get that sub 3 marathon but hopefully will complete brighton tri, very slowly. Still not decided on standard or sprint but either way it will be slow.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Anyway I will say I was majorly depressed about my health issues and not being able to run but stepping back away from it my life is so much more well rounded and I'm at least 50% happier probably aided by the cold water swimming.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I basically don't run anymore after having a heart scare, all about the swimming now. Will never get that sub 3 marathon but hopefully will complete brighton tri, very slowly. Still not decided on standard or sprint but either way it will be slow.

I wondered where you’d got too. Must be a blow but glad you’re finding alternatives even if it is freezing cold swimming. My friend finished Hastings Half on Sunday and the 30s something young fit man next to her collapsed with a heart attack and got CPR and air lifted to Eastbourne Hospital. Still critical I think. Glad you never experienced that.

Good luck with alternatives. I’m prone to random severe lengthy spells of rheumatoid arthritis attacks in my joints and thank myself luck each time that I didn’t get that all the time 50/50 chance apparently.

Best of luck.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm far to low-tech for that sort of thing. No, if you go onto the parkrun results sites some runners have a direct link to their Strava page. I think this was the first time I've used it. It's like Narnia: a whole new world for a simple soul like me...………………...

They are extremely useful for analysis and you need do nothing more than push a button.

Anyway glad you’re hear to listen to me. I enjoyed my losing race at Hastings even though I over paced the first half and burnt out. However, I have had to resort to the results AGs. Great news I won a tight battle.

Knocky 68.81% [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] 68.54% [MENTION=11716]Penny[/MENTION]’s Harmonica 68.29%

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
They are extremely useful for analysis and you need do nothing more than push a button.

Anyway glad you’re hear to listen to me. I enjoyed my losing race at Hastings even though I over paced the first half and burnt out. However, I have had to resort to the results AGs. Great news I won a tight battle.

Knocky 68.81% [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] 68.54% [MENTION=11716]Penny[/MENTION]’s Harmonica 68.29%

That, my friend, is very much a win!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

Anyway I will say I was majorly depressed about my health issues and not being able to run but stepping back away from it my life is so much more well rounded and I'm at least 50% happier probably aided by the cold water swimming.

I'm gutted for you. :down: I'm glad you're able to swim and are getting involved in that. Ultimately, there's so much going on in the world that there are so many windows you can open when a door is closed. One door that hasn't closed, however, is this thread. You're always welcome.

I wondered where you’d got too. Must be a blow but glad you’re finding alternatives even if it is freezing cold swimming. My friend finished Hastings Half on Sunday and the 30s something young fit man next to her collapsed with a heart attack and got CPR and air lifted to Eastbourne Hospital. Still critical I think. Glad you never experienced that.

Good luck with alternatives. I’m prone to random severe lengthy spells of rheumatoid arthritis attacks in my joints and thank myself luck each time that I didn’t get that all the time 50/50 chance apparently.

Best of luck.

I did see a bit of ambulance movement during the race, always gutting to hear about people suffering this kind of thing at an event. :down: You don't know what you don't know and you'll never know when your ticker is going to go pop. The key thing for everyone is to enjoy the moment, it's an important life lesson for us all.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I did see a bit of ambulance movement during the race, always gutting to hear about people suffering this kind of thing at an event. You don't know what you don't know and you'll never know when your ticker is going to go pop. The key thing for everyone is to enjoy the moment, it's an important life lesson for us all.

Too right. I've been in 2 running events and also on a London to Brighton bike ride where guys have died. And in each one of them I was pretty nearby at the time. Really makes you think.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Sorry to hear, but glad you're in a better place than before. Quite a bit of swim chat creeping in here – there might have to be a breakaway thread at some point! Best of luck with the tri and don't be a stranger...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Getting back on the run theme, a nice 7 mile recovery dash for me this morning. Pavilion out to the Lagoon then a couple of loops of the paths and back to the Palace Pier. Very comfortable 7:47 pace with a couple of nice and casual last couple of miles. Feeling a little bit of soreness in the top of my left calf, so there'll be stretching at various times this afternoon and a nice ice pack tonight. 10 mile run at 7:15 per mile tomorrow before an activity which shall not be named on friday!

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
New 10k PB for me on Sunday, 44:13. A four lap course, tracked a guy down over the last lap and a half, was on his shoulder for the last half lap, pipped him at the post like a knob.

Reading the heart scare stories above made me stop and think - I am convinced I push myself harder than I really should in some of these races / parkruns, my fitness isn't there but I've got an ability to dig pretty deep when I want to, takes me a couple of days to recover, not in my legs, they're fine, but more in my general feeling.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I did see a bit of ambulance movement during the race, always gutting to hear about people suffering this kind of thing at an event. You don't know what you don't know and you'll never know when your ticker is going to go pop. The key thing for everyone is to enjoy the moment, it's an important life lesson for us all.

Too right. I've been in 2 running events and also on a London to Brighton bike ride where guys have died. And in each one of them I was pretty nearby at the time. Really makes you think.

Always very sad (and scary to witness), but a statistical certainty to happen every so often..................makes it very easy for the anti-runners to say that it's bad for you, but better to think in terms of how many heart attacks have been avoided by those running through keeping themselves in some kind of shape. Definitely worth getting a regular check-up if you can too (especially those of us of a certain age). The ECG showed up 'abnormalities' during my medical a couple of years ago that resulted in me needing a load of additional assessments and a particularly unpleasant MRI scan but they ultimately determined there was no issue (the abnormality on the ECG could have been down to either being unusually fit, or some kind of thickening of the arteries etc - but without the MRI they can't tell so wanted to rule out problems as far as possible). One of the guys that works for me is a very keen cyclist and rides with the same small group several times a week - one of whom is the heart surgeon that happened to be in the crowd when Muamba had his heart attack.

Last edited:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I've very definitely been struck down with a cold now. I've had a runny nose and headache since yesterday evening and it really impacted my 10 mile run this morning. I managed to run in the 7:15 target pace with some magic around Victoria Gardens but it wasn't very naturally paced at all. I'm hoping that I can blast it out of my system in a couple of days by having multiple hot showers and eating as much hot food as possible. Any excuse! :albion2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here