Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England vs Australia Third Ashes Test - Leeds 22nd-26th August 2019

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
All the best wickets come from the Full Toss. Such an underrated delivery.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I thought Smith was the only Aussie that can bat but this Labushange has one of the most solid batting techniques I have ever seen. He leaves anything risky and only a couple of times in the whole innings have we managed to get him out of shape.

Bet he has a sore plums though (ouch)

Nice work - that was an absolute SHOCKER!

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Not convinced he was out. Even so, a batsman doesn't always sense an edge.

I remember playing a game at 13 when I was given not out on a snick behind. My Mum said they heard it from the boundary ! I remember protesting. I genuinely didn't think I had touched it.

Sadly I have ALWAYS known when I was out, usually as my stumps were scattered all over the place or the slip fielders were laughing at me...

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Close of play, Day One.

Australia 179 all out (52.1 overs)

Great bowling from England, on a testing day for both sides... and SIX wickets for Jofra Archer :clap2:

J Archer 6-45 :clap2:
Broad 2-32
Woakes 1-51
Stokes 1-45

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
All the best wickets come from the Full Toss. Such an underrated delivery.

:lolol:

I always had a catch phrase when I bowled. [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] may remember.

'If you're going to bowl a full toss always bowl it straight'

The phrase was subject to much mimicry. But I challenge anyone to contradict it !

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
:lolol:

I always had a catch phrase when I bowled. [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] may remember.

'If you're going to bowl a full toss always bowl it straight'

The phrase was subject to much mimicry. But I challenge anyone to contradict it !

If you've got the full toss in your locker, why not use it?

I'm going to celebrate it just as much as if I'd bowled an absolute peach of delivery which has swung and clipped the top of off stump.*

* One of these deliveries was more common than the other

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I’ve not been following this at all until now, stunned by Archers bowling figures.

England it seems now have a devastating genuinely fast bowler, which is a bit of rarity .... Snow, Willis were greats.

Great indeed but Michael Holding unhappy all day that he was under orders to rein in the speed. 82-89mph today. Said he should do what he’s good at.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Blimey, I went out with the score at 150 something for 5 and came back to find Australia all out. What a star Jofra is - pity Sussex won't see much of him now

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Weather looking good tomorrow for batting. Warner and Labuschagne showed how to bat in bowling conditions.

What a collapse from a promising position.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I’ve not been following this at all until now, stunned by Archers bowling figures.

England it seems now have a devastating genuinely fast bowler, which is a bit of rarity .... Snow, Willis were greats.

Chris Tremlett was the best I have seen in my time. Had he not been ravaged with a lack of confidence and continual injuries. I genuinely believed that at one stage he was the best fast bowler on the planet.

The Ashes series of 2010/11 down under was his peak moment. It all came together. He got another back injury a few months later and that was pretty much it.

Still, great memories from a short career and I defy anyone to not watch this on repeat... Barmy Army going mental.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0uhS1YLaWg

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Chris Tremlett was the best I have seen in my time. Had he not been ravaged with a lack of confidence and continual injuries. I genuinely believed that at one stage he was the best fast bowler on the planet.

The Ashes series of 2010/11 down under was his peak moment. It all came together. He got another back injury a few months later and that was pretty much it.

Still, great memories from a short career and I defy anyone to not watch this on repeat... Barmy Army going mental.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0uhS1YLaWg

No disrespect to Tremlett whatsoever but we can all watch one ridiculous spell and say "he's the best". It's not just about injuries, it's about mental attitude.

Otherwise CT and Steve Harmison would have as many wickets as Jimmy and Stuart Broad.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
No disrespect to Tremlett whatsoever but we can all watch one ridiculous spell and say "he's the best". It's not just about injuries, it's about mental attitude.

Otherwise CT and Steve Harmison would have as many wickets as Jimmy and Stuart Broad.

I guess my point is that when a player is constantly injured, and I sympathise with Tremlett especially as back problems stopped me playing at a much higher level, you can still recognise talent.

Tremlett, like his dad who is a splendid character, was lacking in aggression. But when he was in the right head space he was the best we had and possibly the best there was.

Shane Warne had equal frustrations. He saw him at Hampshire and said much the same. That year he spent at his best with England seemed to vindicate that view. If I'm asked who my favourite bowlers in my lifetime are he's in there. I get confused looks when his name comes up. But having followed the game obsessively for 40 years I know talent when I see it.

But yes, his attitude wasn't so much the problem as his lack of fire and confidence. Had he had more drive and less injuries he would have had few comparisons.

Warne's view at the time:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/c...lett-had-potential-to-become-worlds-best.html

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here