Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
Im looking at doing a couple of days around the Wight next April when the wife and kids are in Florida. Been there loads of times on holiday, but never taken the bike with me - & always regret it!

The round the island route is great, just over 65 miles and about 5,000ft of climbing

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I cycled round the Isle of Wight yesterday and thought it was an excellent route. Every junction is clearly signposted for the round the island routes, white on blue background or blue on white background, depending on which way round you are going. Apart from a few busy roads, most of it was on narrow country lanes and I hardly saw any cars. What impressed me most though was that all of the roads were very smooth (except a gravelly but from Freshwater to Yarmouth) and I don’t remember seeing a single pothole on the entire ride. I’ll definitely go back and ride it again (if only to get 150 or so Strava PRs).
Did you stick to the route or trace around the coast?

I did it with Jnr last year following the route whereas previously we've hugged the coast.

Naturally there's a bit more traffic around the coast but I thought the route round the back of Sandown (?) was a little tight in places, and didnt look so good on Strava!!!

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
Did you stick to the route or trace around the coast?

I did it with Jnr last year following the route whereas previously we've hugged the coast.

Naturally there's a bit more traffic around the coast but I thought the route round the back of Sandown (?) was a little tight in places, and didnt look so good on Strava!!!

It was my first time, so I stuck to the signposted route. I’d uploaded the route to my Garmin beforehand, but it was so well signposted I needn’t have bothered. Might venture beyond that route next time I’m out here.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I cycled round the Isle of Wight yesterday and thought it was an excellent route. Every junction is clearly signposted for the round the island routes, white on blue background or blue on white background, depending on which way round you are going. Apart from a few busy roads, most of it was on narrow country lanes and I hardly saw any cars. What impressed me most though was that all of the roads were very smooth (except a gravelly but from Freshwater to Yarmouth) and I don’t remember seeing a single pothole on the entire ride. I’ll definitely go back and ride it again (if only to get 150 or so Strava PRs).

I'd like to do this at some point. Where are these signs you mention? Can't see any on google streetview.

The route seems to cut out quite large chunks of the island, including the western peninsula, why is that?!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It was my first time, so I stuck to the signposted route. I’d uploaded the route to my Garmin beforehand, but it was so well signposted I needn’t have bothered. Might venture beyond that route next time I’m out here.

Yep the signs are great, white on blue for clockwise, the reverse for anticlockwise.

From memory the route only differs at around 4 o'clock and 11 o'clock where it cuts inland.

Ive had a couple of goes at selling the ride to the geeks.
Esp as the catamaran terminal is at the back of Portsmouth harbour train station.

The first time I went over we rode the whole thing making it a 120/140 mile day.
But that isn't in itself as it seems.

Pan flat 25+ miles.
Coffee waiting for boat.
Scary ride down Ryde promenade (planks of wood with 26mm gaps between them running the lengthwise)
65+ miles route the island coast.
Followed by a decent rest and late lunch before heading home.

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
Brompton Bike Hire
This is something I've been watching for a while, but their T&C's have put me off. Essentially they have the upper hand when arguing over damage etc. Anyway, I thought I'd give it a go. I signed up for the princely sum of £5 and reserved a bike
The toughest part of the whole thing was typing the code into the locker. 4 attempts this morning and similar this afternoon.
Unfolding was ok, but will be much easier next time. I fitted a wahoo mount to the bars to help navigating. Little wheels, light bike, a fun bit of the commute. I think I averaged 10mph, partly due to the terrain, partly the bike, partly I was trying not to sweat!

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach

Sadly, neither am I. Almost every time I go out I have a near miss it seems because of inconsiderate driving. Only today a teenage driver decided they couldn't wait for 5 seconds for me to go past the other way (I had right of way...and was going 20mph, so not exactly slow), and they floored it round the road furniture, missing my bars my inches...& only slowed down when the car in front turned right, and she had to slam the brakes on. Must've skidded to a stop just inches from the rear bumper of the other car.

In the space of 30 yards she could've sent me over the bars, and rear ended another vehicle....all for the sake of not giving way for a cyclist.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
New contract time for The Shadow?

Was a nice win it has to be said. Credit where credit's due.

On his way from Movistar isn't he? Can't remember now where it's rumoured he's off to.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Was a nice win it has to be said. Credit where credit's due.

On his way from Movistar isn't he? Can't remember now where it's rumoured he's off to.

Griepel's second tier team - Sam something.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
No mention of Mr Kittel?

Seems to be packing it in at his peak to me. I'd be the type that refused to retire.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south

https://www.cycleisland.co.uk/.

Done this a few times. Well worth it.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
No mention of Mr Kittel?

Seems to be packing it in at his peak to me. I'd be the type that refused to retire.

No way is Kittel at his peak. But worse for him, the new generation have well and truly arrived. I don't think he's ever been the toughest mentally when it comes to challenges tbh. If he's dropped then he rarely gets back on, even with the help of team mates, and he never liked a bump in the road. Top top sprinter though at his peak.

I read what he had to say about retiring. Fair play to him, very open and honest and I have every sympathy with what he says. Always came across as a nice bloke and that seems to confirm it for me. He certainly had a good career and was once clearly the top sprinter in the world. I wish him well for the future.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So geeks, how many times have you gone out unknowingly hitting a huge climb?

I went out Thursday for a spin around our holiday let in Somerset and unwittingly climbed Dunkery Beacon (you can look it up in UK 100 rides). I’ve not been out much but it took me an unrelenting 29min grind to get up it without stopping, avoiding several goats and sheep, as well as being followed by a gaggle of flies and insects that thought a party bus had arrived.

Not sure I’d have got up it had I known what I was up against at the start, because I couldn’t see the rest I just kept going thinking it must end soon...

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

I went out Thursday for a spin around our holiday let in Somerset and unwittingly climbed Dunkery Beacon (you can look it up in UK 100 rides). I’ve not been out much but it took me an unrelenting 29min grind to get up it without stopping, avoiding several goats and sheep, as well as being followed by a gaggle of flies and insects that thought a party bus had arrived.

Not sure I’d have got up it had I known what I was up against at the start, because I couldn’t see the rest I just kept going thinking it must end soon...

Around here, in the Pyrenees, many, many times.

I have been doing a lot of mountain biking this summer and I can't tell you how steep, long, hot and rocky some of the climbs that I have chanced upon have been.

And on the road...bloody Hell.

There is an annual sportive here called The Figure of Hate which is absolutely brutal. It is run by a friend of mine and I had to let him down when he was encouraging me to enter this year as I had not done nearly enough training, and had done way too much eating and drinking.

Graham (who runs it) persuaded me and Mrs. Mahone to register for free, come to the start and cycle maybe the first five km - The Cyclist magazine were there this year, and we were amongst a number of ringers who were there to swell up the crowd at the start for the photos. This was just over a week ago.

Somehow we ended up completing the sportive in blisteringly hot conditions, and the climbs we 'came across' were horrendous. 7500 feet of climbing in less than 60 miles.

Never again. (But I also said that two years ago...)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

I've had the opposite. Was on an Audax once which I knew took in Kidds Hill. Once on it, had to double check that we were actually on this 'infamous' climb :wink:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've had the opposite. Was on an Audax once which I knew took in Kidds Hill. Once on it, had to double check that we were actually on this 'infamous' climb :wink:

Then you said:-

'Forgive me Stat - I'll never doubt you again'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here