Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shops gone that you miss

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
Patcham shops

RE the aforementioned walk:
Barclays Bank on the corner by the garage where the tythe barn used to be.
Then the butchers with the woman in the window to pay for your meat
Peter Tamblin the barber in half a shop where I used to get my short back and sides
The dairy
Weeks the electrical shop
The drapers on the corner before crossing the road to
Gills the sweetshop with Matchbox cars in the window
Attwoods the hardware shop with the grumpy owner who would sell you paraffin for your can
Cracknells the greengrocers
Tomlinsons the grocers with old Tommo in his brown coat. Sticks of LIQUORICE and dirty potatoes in brown paper bags his speciality.
Other side of the road had Ogdens the bakers on the corner who sold traffic light biscuits and pink madeleines with other cake treats.
Then Graveleys, the VG type shop reminds me of excitedly buying a quarter of Brooke Bond tea and eagerly taking it home for the tea card slipped inside the wrapper.
The parade of new shops came later, so then it was up the bank to clamber along the chalky path by the allotments and down the other side to gaze in to Salmons the newsagents. Don't recall the other shops round to London Road school apart from my GP Dr Saxton who treated my chicken pox. Back along towards Patcham Place for a field trip was Clapsons then the old Post Office.
Hope that jogs a few memories from PATCHAM in the late 50s early 60s.

Clapsons - the handle, the step down into the shop and the tingle of the bell. Brilliant! Mr Harris (and later his tall son) running the PO. The greek owner's (?) grocery store next door (now an architects' office?). Mr & Mrs Starn and their two shops, one either side of Salmons. The short cut through (what is now the Esso garage) the petrol station down to the Co-Op.... great days!!

Denis

Mar 25, 2013
Portslade
Ravel and Sacha shoe shops along Western Road.
Martin Fords, Etam, Richards, Snob, but best of all, Biba up Queens Road. (showing my age! )
Woolworths,Boundary Road, I’m still using the vegetable knife, I’m dreading it breaking.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Anyone remember Orange Hand on the lower level of of (old) Churchill Square? Quality clobber.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
The Cottage record shop
Hills of Hove; only because my first ever job was lift man there; I had to announce the contents of each floor; lingerie, menswear etc.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Clapsons - the handle, the step down into the shop and the tingle of the bell. Brilliant! Mr Harris (and later his tall son) running the PO. The greek owner's (?) grocery store next door (now an architects' office?). Mr & Mrs Starn and their two shops, one either side of Salmons. The short cut through (what is now the Esso garage) the petrol station down to the Co-Op.... great days!!

Incredibly, Mrs Harris was still working in London Road Post Office till earlier this decade. Don't forget the tank tracks and I used to enjoy playing on what I thought was an overgrown bomb site where the newer houses have been built on the left before you get down to Salmons. Geoff Salmon only passed in the last decade too. Hard to believe my childhood in his shop of Airfix models and Surprise bags was so deep in the last century!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here