Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 2019/20 Premier League VAR decisions

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I'm not sure you do understand (or you are linking a second issue to this one which isn't really relevant to your initial question) because it's not about benefit of the attacking team. It's about the impact of the infringement - in this instant the defending team infringing the laws didn't stop the goal, so their 'cheating' didn't affect the outcome. However, had a man city attacker ran into the box before Aguero kicked the ball, and Aguero spooned it over the bar, that 'cheating' wouldn't have affected the outcome and would have been ignored.

I didn’t link anything. I was just discussing different examples of when VAR comes into play. If getting decisions correct to pinpoint accuracy is your thing then you will be rightly happy with the direction the game is going. Don’t assume everyone is as bothered as you though.

Noah All

Jan 2, 2018
The shed
First "goal" disallowed - Sterling's armpit infringing, or something.

[tweet]1160169606306258944[/tweet]

Why are the VAR offside lines so pencil thin when the white lines e.g. Goal line and penalty area line as shown in the clip are much thicker? The ball has to cross the goal line completely to be a goal then surely offside should only be given using the same line thickness.

Sorry not thinking straight there, what I meant was there should be a leeway in how much the attacker s offside

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Blimey what's up mate? Don't take it so personally if people don't generally like your opinion on VAR.
Eh? I've not taken anything at all personally. You're saying that football has become a crap sport. If that's really what you feel, then I guess you'll stop watching it. If, as I suspect, you're going to stick with it, then I guess you exaggerated and you don't really think it's become a crap sport.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I didn’t link anything. I was just discussing different examples of when VAR comes into play. If getting decisions correct to pinpoint accuracy is your thing then you will be rightly happy with the direction the game is going. Don’t assume everyone is as bothered as you though.

??

You asked why there was no retake of the second penalty, I pointed out it was because there was no benefit to the 'cheating', you claimed you understood that but then went off on one about benefiting the attacking team and pinpoint accuracy, which is completely irrelevant to why the second penalty wasn't retaken.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Why are the VAR offside lines so pencil thin when the white lines e.g. Goal line and penalty area line as shown in the clip are much thicker? The ball has to cross the goal line completely to be a goal then surely offside should only be given using the same line thickness.
I'm not disagreeing, but what you're saying is that you don't want it to be given as offside unless it's (for example) 10cm offside. 9.9cm and the goal stands, 10.0cm and it's offside.

I don't really see the benefit of that, you're just moving the line.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Because you're not offside based on the lines of the pitch, but by comparison to the other players.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Eh? I've not taken anything at all personally. You're saying that football has become a crap sport. If that's really what you feel, then I guess you'll stop watching it. If, as I suspect, you're going to stick with it, then I guess you exaggerated and you don't really think it's become a crap sport.
You just seem to be overreacting to my possible overreaction. [emoji1]

I honestly don't have a choice. I really do think it's become crap if today is anything to go by, but I am genuinely addicted and Brighton is my drug.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
??

You asked why there was no retake of the second penalty, I pointed out it was because there was no benefit to the 'cheating', you claimed you understood that but then went off on one about benefiting the attacking team and pinpoint accuracy, which is completely irrelevant to why the second penalty wasn't retaken.

I can see why you like VAR :)
I was talking about more than one thing. Sorry about my lack of precision.
Let’s leave it there. I have better things to do (looking for a stream for today’s game) than arguing with you.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The City offside should have been fine. They HAVE to adopt cricket’s approach that marginal calls stay with the onfield decision. It cannot be that precise because you cannot be 100% when the ball actually fully leaves the boot - 1 frame either way could be the difference.

Yesterday should have been ‘not a clear and obvious error by the officials - goal stands’.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
The City offside should have been fine. They HAVE to adopt cricket’s approach that marginal calls stay with the onfield decision. It cannot be that precise because you cannot be 100% when the ball actually fully leaves the boot - 1 frame either way could be the difference.

Yesterday should have been ‘not a clear and obvious error by the officials - goal stands’.

But you have to have a line, you can’t say ‘oh well it was close’. How close is close?

VAR is an awful thing, but with offsides it has to be black and white.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
But you have to have a line, you can’t say ‘oh well it was close’. How close is close?

VAR is an awful thing, but with offsides it has to be black and white.

But can it be black and white if they don't clearly define what moment they use for when the pass is played?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
It’s the first weekend of its use, and it’s been pretty much correct for every decision. Compare that to its use in the first round of the 2018 World Cup, etc. It will be fine, players will get used to the new rules, VAR will adapt and get more accurate.

People always forget that it has been used in Europe’s biggest leagues for 2 seasons, people still celebrate goals, don’t worry your little socks.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
It’s the first weekend of its use, and it’s been pretty much correct for every decision. Compare that to its use in the first round of the 2018 World Cup, etc. It will be fine, players will get used to the new rules, VAR will adapt and get more accurate.

People always forget that it has been used in Europe’s biggest leagues for 2 seasons, people still celebrate goals, don’t worry your little socks.

You're right. Every week there's lots of complaints in Germany, Italy and Spain about how bad it is

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
The good thing is that even when you are being hammered you can celebrate. West Ham fans got to celebrate a goal not being given. Without that they had nothing to cheer

I have still not seen anyone explain properly what “clear and obvious error” means with offside. Some say it should be daylight but then there will be a mm between no daylight and daylight. There is always going to be a line. If people just accept it and stop moaning it will become an exciting part of the game - as wickets are with cricket. I see little point in making an objective measure subjective.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
A few years ago people used to moan about DRS in cricket. It is now just part of the game. In the last test there were about 10 decisions overturned.

People say it adds time to football, the results all seemed to be at normal times yesterday. Less arguing time.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here