Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Hope everyone has their thoughts and prayers ready ..........again

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Isn’t this link just as valid?

https://edition.cnn.com/2016/07/25/health/video-games-and-violence/index.html
The American Psychological Association observed in an August 2015 policy statement that research demonstrated a link "between violent video game use and both increases in aggressive behavior ... and decreases in prosocial behavior, empathy, and moral engagement."
Have you actually read that? The whole thing? It totally backs up my point.

Your cherry picked quote is completely refuted. In the same article!

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
.. but assault rifles with high capacity magazines which are only really suited for taking down rooms full of people - how can anybody in their right minds support these being available?? .

Talk to the people who own them.

The guns are vitally necessary for the day when They come boiling out of the cities to take our women, our wide-screens and our pickup trucks.
Also, if we don't have guns how are we going to keep the liberals from taking our guns?

Look, you've got your state religion -- granted the CoE's body count for centuries has been pretty low -- and we've got ours. From that essay:

The United States has chosen, and continues to choose, to enact ritual compliance to an ideal of freedom in a way that results in a steady flow of blood sacrifice. This ritual of childhood is not a betrayal of “who we are” as a country. It is what America has made of itself, how it worships itself, and how it makes itself real.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

The guns are vitally necessary for the day when They come boiling out of the cities to take our women, our wide-screens and our pickup trucks.
Also, if we don't have guns how are we going to keep the liberals from taking our guns?

Look, you've got your state religion -- granted the CoE's body count for centuries has been pretty low -- and we've got ours. From that essay:

The United States has chosen, and continues to choose, to enact ritual compliance to an ideal of freedom in a way that results in a steady flow of blood sacrifice. This ritual of childhood is not a betrayal of “who we are” as a country. It is what America has made of itself, how it worships itself, and how it makes itself real.
But, video games.....

Great post, great article. Scary shit.

Thank you RC, can always rely on you for insightful posts.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Ohio murderer was shot dead inside 1 minute.

Still plenty of time for him to kill 9 people, including his own sister.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
One which, so far, you have refused to offer any evidence to support. Shall we just take your word for it, bro?

Absurd post. If [MENTION=14669]LlcoolJ[/MENTION] had said it has nothing to do with sniffing cat cheese would you demand he cite the relevant study, published in Science?.

For the record, the cause of mass murder is not video games. It took me 0.04 seconds to find this.....

https://www.polygon.com/2018/3/10/17101232/a-brief-history-of-video-game-violence-blame

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
what's alarming is that knife crime in london has risen by 40% since 2014.

There has to be a bigger influence behind this than the knives themselves?

I will take a haha stab at Terresa Mays reducing of the ability of the MET to stop and search anyone they wanted to. It has a direct correlation.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Misinterpretation of the 2nd thing on a list of American ****wittery
Religion
Lack of education

2 &. 3 kind of linked.

Brain washed inbred idiots, 300m of them.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
what's alarming is that knife crime in london has risen by 40% since 2014.

There has to be a bigger influence behind this than the knives themselves?

Just a quick reminder to those wishing to use knives as a scare tactic.

In June (maybe July, I'm not sure) England & Wales had it's 100th recorded fatality due to knife crime.
Sure that's a hundred too many, but it is still 'just' 100.
If my memory serves England and Wales reached that figure a little quicker than last year.

Those that would have you believe you're in very grave danger because of knives are doing the country a disservice.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016

In June (maybe July, I'm not sure) England & Wales had it's 100th recorded fatality due to knife crime.
If my memory serves England and Wales reached that figure a little quicker than last year.

Those that would have you believe you're in very grave danger because of knives are doing the country a disservice.

Exactly Stat. And the media also chooses to highlight that it’s non-whites predominately stabbing and being stabbed. Which is only true in London. The rate in London isn’t wildly different to other cities. Note that there are over 8 MILLION people in London.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Not that i'm disagreeing with you (just trying to understand) but besides the gun laws, why weren't these mass shootings as regular in the States as they are now when guns were still legal back then?.

Well, let’s have a look at a couple of charts. Bear in mind please that the federal ban on assault rifles expired in 2004 and of course was not renewed - assault rifles are a BASIC HUMAN RIGHT.

901FA5FB-19CC-4CC8-9027-D2F5BA5CF919.jpeg

Let’s also look at a comparison of gun murders by state, and overlay each state’s gun control laws. Maybe we’ll see some trends
281B1514-C53B-4775-83BE-345B31904DF3.jpeg

In 1996 an Australian redneck drove up to a crowd of tourists and opened fire with an AR-15. He killed 35 people. That year, Australia introduced tough new gun laws. I’m not sure whether they also banned computer games
81315C8E-A5BF-4F37-BDB0-01BDC5E78F39.jpeg

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.

England and Wales??? I hope you're not missing out Scotland to back up your point? If so, you should be a politician.

Didn't Glasgow have some sort of knife related murder record higher than any other city in Europe recently? I'm pretty sure that's same year it got friendliest city in Europe too. I remember Kevin Bridges making a joke out of it too.

But yeah England & wales....

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Didn't Glasgow have some sort of knife related murder record higher than any other city in Europe recently? I'm pretty sure that's same year it got friendliest city in Europe too...

Yep, murder capital of Europe. And barely any black people stabbing each other too, so that’s not right surely. I read some very interesting stuff about how they addressed it, funnily enough it took a lot of alignment at many levels and some good funding initiatives. The chap that led it gave some solid advice to our government a long time ago. He recently said something about none of the measures or advice being heeded, so his advice is the same as it was before.

Decent BBC summary
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-45572691

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Have you actually read that? The whole thing? It totally backs up my point.

Your cherry picked quote is completely refuted. In the same article!

Actually it doesn’t!

What it does show is that there are varying opinions amongst professionals - some believe there are possible links, others that there aren’t - certainly nothing definitive in either direction, Plenty of opinions, very few facts.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Special Relationship my arse. It annoys me the buffoon Johnson is trying to get us closer to a country whose views on capital punishment, gun laws, racism, abortion etc are so far removed from those of the UK and our EU cousins.

And Trump has the temerity to have a pop at Sadiq Khan and knife crime in London.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
And Trump has the temerity to have a pop at Sadiq Khan and knife crime in London.

The irony is of course that knife killings are higher in the US than UK, by population and of course in total. To be crystal clear on this; you are more likely to be stabbed to death in the US than in the UK.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Well, let’s have a look at a couple of charts. Bear in mind please that the federal ban on assault rifles expired in 2004 and of course was not renewed - assault rifles are a BASIC HUMAN RIGHT.

View attachment 113800

Let’s also look at a comparison of gun murders by state, and overlay each state’s gun control laws. Maybe we’ll see some trends
View attachment 113801

In 1996 an Australian redneck drove up to a crowd of tourists and opened fire with an AR-15. He killed 35 people. That year, Australia introduced tough new gun laws. I’m not sure whether they also banned computer games
View attachment 113802

Very good stats which prove that making guns illegal would reduce gun killings. Thanks for putting in the time to share the info. You can't argue with it.
But it doesn't answer my original question which was- why weren't these mass shootings as regular in the States as they are now when guns were still legal back then? I genuinely would like to know. Has there been some sort of recent leniency with people being able to get guns? What's the difference between now and 2010 in relation to their gun laws in the Sates?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here