Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton leaves with immediate effect

Anya1000

Apr 14, 2019
“Undoubtedly, this has been one of the most difficult decisions I have had to make as chairman of Brighton & Hove Albion, but ultimately one I have made due to how we struggled in the second half of the season”, clearly indicates a monologue from TB to CH dismissing him.

CH will be paid his contract in full and mutual consent wouldn’t have come into this.

You know nothing

Anya1000

Apr 14, 2019
Well I do hope for TB's sake something comes out that makes what you say plausible. I really struggle to believe it would have been as bad as to deserve the treatment CH got.

He didn't give a mutual conse t option. CH had no idea, turned up in the morning then got fired by TB.

Anya1000

Apr 14, 2019
What annoys me about all that is being spouted by a good many journo's and the like is the fact they hardly ever saw the Albion team play, I strongly expect they presume the Match of the Day highlights are the defining thing that happened that day on the pitch.

Well, having been to every home game and fifteen away games this season, I can report back with a great deal of certainty about why Chris, our honourable, modest and most gentlemanly manager, got the sack.

Tony Bloom wants to stay in the Premier League (of course he does), he saw what I and many others saw which was players that were potentially very good suffer because they spent most of the game tracking back into positions they should hardly have ever been in. Dunk, Duffy and Ryan were absolute heroes but so were others who must have been absolutely knackered because of the amount of defending they had to do in nearly every game.

Ultimately this comes down to the manager who didn't let the team grow once they got promoted. Players like March, Knockaert, Barnardo and a few others were stunted in their growth, Hughton's ultimate aim every match was not to concede, this was his mantra to every player before they entered whatever arena they were playing at.

Bloom knew Chris' shortcomings were causing issues with players and fans alike. The sacking was not about Hughton's persona, which is impeccable and I can only assume Tony loved that side of him, but it's on the pitch where the problem lied and sadly he had to go, there was no other option, Chris wasn't going to change, we all knew that if we're honest with ourselves.

Hopefully Bloom makes the correct appointment and the new manager proves Tony was absolutely right to make the change.

Correction, a manager that wasn't given the right resources to let the team grow. The recruitment team has been revamped which is not a coincidence, its so frustrating as people speculate as opposed to talking to the facts. CH is collateral damage of the bad decisions made in the board, he didn't complain about his resources he worked with what he had.

Anya1000

Apr 14, 2019
With respect - do **** off! Weakest squads???? Our squad may be small, but weak? I'm not buying that, no weaker than a lot of the other clubs in the bottom half of the Premier League - including yours.

I can't stand it when non-Albion fans come on here and start preaching about "what we should be grateful for". I don't buy that bullshit - Bloom is ambitious, and why not? It may backfire, but before this decision we were heading one way and one way only.

Good luck I will revisit this post a year later. Let's see...

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
We stayed up due to some poor officiating in the games hat Cardiff could have got points from, and the fact Palace helped us out.
We were poor when it really mattered.
lost to Southampton who were below us at home,1 shot on target.
Lost to Bournemouth not won away from home in 9 games, chance to keep them in the relegation mix, 1 shot on target and making them look like Barcelona.
Lost to Cardiff below us our rival for relegation, 1 shot on target.
Newcastle, we only started playing in the second half, thankfully only 1 nil down, when they should have been out of sight. No shots on target at all in the first half.

Yet you seem to forget that we were also subject of poor officiating most notably against Cardiff whose winner was offside.
Cardiff were unfortunate, but we had as many decisions if not more that were questionable.

This 'poor Cradiff', that was largely pushed by Warnock and jumped on by the media, is a smokescreen for what a poor team they actually were. However, I can't argue that the games you mentioned above we were actually worse.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yet you seem to forget that we were also subject of poor officiating most notably against Cardiff whose winner was offside.
Cardiff were unfortunate, but we had as many decisions if not more that were questionable.

This 'poor Cradiff', that was largely pushed by Warnock and jumped on by the media, is a smokescreen for what a poor team they actually were. However, I can't argue that the games you mentioned above we were actually worse.

They were only very slightly poorer than us......and a fair bit better since Christmas. Scary.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Correction, a manager that wasn't given the right resources to let the team grow. The recruitment team has been revamped which is not a coincidence, its so frustrating as people speculate as opposed to talking to the facts. CH is collateral damage of the bad decisions made in the board, he didn't complain about his resources he worked with what he had.

So why did the team look under coached, show no desire, were outfought and looked like 11 individuals for 4 home games which we needed to get something from.

And please don’t say the recruitment was to blame for that as well, these are players who have played at the top level around Europe so should be able to tackle and pass.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here