Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falklands '82

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I remember it well as my dad went there for 6 months to rebuild Port Stanley airfield after we bombed the stuffing out of it. He was with the Royal Engineers and missed out on a medal by two weeks as the conflict was officially over. Either that or he had another family on the go! I was about 10 at the time.

I went down to the Falklands to do a four months detachment in the RAF, in the early 90's.
I made the most of my free time, by visiting all of the sites that featured in the war, some of them you wouldn't expect there had been any action and some that took your breathe away in an eerie sort of way.
Very desolate place, but some beautiful areas also which are stunning.
Highlight for me personally was getting a gash ride in a Hercules, which were used for air to air refuelling.
Whilst being strapped inside the rear of the Herc', the ramp lowered (1000's of feet in the air), the refuelling arms were extended out, and a beautiful site of two Phantoms appeared to be replenished of fuel.
Fantastic memories :thumbsup:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
My main recollection is the announcement on Friday that the Falklands had been taken over.

I wondered how the Argentinian forces had got to Scotland unnoticed....

I'll never forget Thatcher's jubilant announcement of the re-capture of South Georgia against the massed ranks of 15 Argentine land workers and an Alsatian dog.

There is some amazing audio of the local radio in Stanley as it was taken over. Brave presenter...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC1-sz9pfpQ

el punal

Yes, my mistake, I meant he (John Nott), was issuing news on events as they unfolded during the conflict, which I saw him on the BBC :thumbsup:

Sorry to be a pedant and all that! The person that I believe you're referring to was Ian McDonald, who was the M.O.D. media spokesman. He was the one with the funereal voice and correct amount of gravitas to announce to the world everything (on a daily basis) that was happening in the Falklands conflict. Some of the stuff was mesmerising because of his dead pan delivery.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
My main recollection is the announcement on Friday that the Falklands had been taken over.

I wondered how the Argentinian forces had got to Scotland unnoticed....

I'll never forget Thatcher's jubilant announcement of the re-capture of South Georgia against the massed ranks of 15 Argentine land workers and an Alsatian dog.

There is some amazing audio of the local radio in Stanley as it was taken over. Brave presenter...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC1-sz9pfpQ

Not really fair , Brighton lines, the Argies had a diesel submarine based at South Georgia, and also a detachment of special forces, if they'd have wanted to they could have given us a bloody nose.

South Georgia is one of the strangest places I've ever been, there's a Norwegian whaling station there from the late fifties, that looks like the whalers have just dropped everything and walked out yesterday. Ernest Shackleton is buried there, and it has the most southerly Christian church in the world

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

More than a little disrespectful of the 255 souls that died re-taking the islands and indeed the 655 mostly conscripts that were sent to their deaths.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Not really fair , Brighton lines, the Argies had a diesel submarine based at South Georgia, and also a detachment of special forces, if they'd have wanted to they could have given us a bloody nose.

South Georgia is one of the strangest places I've ever been, there's a Norwegian whaling station there from the late fifties, that looks like the whalers have just dropped everything and walked out yesterday. Ernest Shackleton is buried there, and it has the most southerly Christian church in the world

It's more a slight at Thatcher really. The Argentine forces surrendered within the hour by all accounts. The way she announced it was so triumphant that, as a youngster, I thought we scored a victory of Somme proportions. What really happened was the Argentines didn't want to fight.

When I think of the Falklands I can't help feel compassion for the Argentine dispatch. Many of them were just conscripted youngsters who really didn't know what was coming. They stood no chance against a highly trained western army- even on 'home' ground.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

My Dad did three years on Protector in the 60s. I have loads of photos of South Georgia, the Falklands and Antarctica.
Bless him, he was so upset, he went to the recruiting office, aged 62, and tried to join up again. He said he could do an office job to release a man for the fleet. Of course, we knew people in Stanley, and were worried sick about them.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
More than a little disrespectful of the 255 souls that died re-taking the islands and indeed the 655 mostly conscripts that were sent to their deaths.

I don't think so. That operation didn't involve deaths but a quick Argentine surrender.

My point was Thatcher making it sound like a huge military victory. That was to come.

I'm glad you include the Argentines in the casualties. I blame Thatcher a lot for this conflict happening.

And, of course, I respect those who gave their lives.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
It's more a slight at Thatcher really. The Argentine forces surrendered within the hour by all accounts. The way she announced it was so triumphant that, as a youngster, I thought we scored a victory of Somme proportions. What really happened was the Argentines didn't want to fight.

When I think of the Falklands I can't help feel compassion for the Argentine dispatch. Many of them were just conscripted youngsters who really didn't know what was coming. They stood no chance against a highly trained western army- even on 'home' ground.

You're right about the poor quality of their rank and file, Fred Karnos circus really,poor scrotes.
I see that, with a thawing of tension between our two countries, the Argentines are going to be allowed on the Falklands, to identify some of their unknown soldiers, I hope they succeed, and can bring some closure to the reads relatives

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I remember the announcement that HMS Sheffield had been hit was given at the Goldstone just after we'd beaten Wolves 2-0. It was a sobering moment as (I believe) it was the first British ship to be attacked successfully and made everyone realise that we weren't just going to stroll in and tell the Argentinians to eff off home.

What made the whole thing so tragic was how unnecessary it all was. A lot of people died or were badly injured to keep the Union Flag flying over a few rocks miles from anywhere that's home mainly to a load of sheep. (Or, as I prefer to think of it, to uphold the principle of self-determination for the Falkand Islanders.) And many more Argentinians died for nothing at all.

Last edited:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
... and made everyone realise that we weren't just going to stroll in and tell the Argentinians to eff off home.

Well we kind of did, it didn't really take long. But politicians wouldn't have been happy without a bit of death.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Strictly speaking neither were wars - rather they were conflicts.

Often wondered what the difference is. I guess they are not wars unless hostilities are officially announced- and I guess that has some sort of diplomatic ramification at UN levels. Just don't know really.

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013

Well, some people will get offended at anything...

But, for the record no one died retaking south georgia.

Are you sure you're not just upset that he mentioned Thatcher?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I recall running home from the Goldstone after the home win over Wolves as they had announced the sinking of HMS Sheffield at the ground and I wanted to get home to see the news reports.

The win was quickly forgotten given the news about the number of deaths that were announced.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Sorry to be a pedant and all that! The person that I believe you're referring to was Ian McDonald, who was the M.O.D. media spokesman. He was the one with the funereal voice and correct amount of gravitas to announce to the world everything (on a daily basis) that was happening in the Falklands conflict. Some of the stuff was mesmerising because of his dead pan delivery.

No not being pedant at all [MENTION=25353]el punal[/MENTION], just your usual dynamic delivery :p:wink:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
It's more a slight at Thatcher really. The way she announced it was so triumphant that, as a youngster, I thought we scored a victory of Somme proportions.

Be pleased to inform Her Majesty that the White Ensign flies alongside the Union Jack in South Georgia. God Save the Queen.

Just rejoice at that news and congratulate our forces and the marines.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I recall running home from the Goldstone after the home win over Wolves as they had announced the sinking of HMS Sheffield at the ground and I wanted to get home to see the news reports.

The win was quickly forgotten given the news about the number of deaths that were announced.

A friend in RN uniform was asked, outside HMS Nelson , how he felt about the sinking of the Shiny Sheffield, the day after by a TV crew.
The T.V crew had to be rescued by the gate staff, as my mate was a little strident in his views

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here