Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Govia Thameslink fined £1m over Gatwick Express window death

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well no. Have windows but not those ones you can get your head out of. Buses up and down the country manage it just fine.

Virtually all the trains have aircon now anyway......

........ and most new trains don't have any opening windows anyway. You don't even need to open the window to open the doors these days, you just press a button when the light comes on.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
........ and most new trains don't have any opening windows anyway. You don't even need to open the window to open the doors these days, you just press a button when the light comes on.

Correct - certainly none of the Thameslink or very few of the Southern trains have any openable windows. Those on the London commuting routes don’t

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
This. Only people I can think of are:

1. The now deceased guy
2. vivian from the the young ones

3. The guy who did it back in around 1983, on the direct direct to London from Hove, as the train entered Clayton Tunnel. He was a Liverpool fan, returning home following a 2-2 draw at the Goldstone. Not pleasant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. This woman quite recently - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-bristol-46840072

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
As a regular commuter up the Brighton mainline, I'd say the misery has all but ended now.

Until the next time.

They don't still run trains that allow people to open windows and stick their heads out - they were withdrawn in 2016 from Gatwick Express services and in March 2017 from peak-time Southern services (Brighton to London Bridge and Eastbourne to London Bridge).

I assume this case pre dates 2016?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I stuck my knob out of a window on a moving train once. My reason for doing so was to urinate on Selhurst station as the train whizzed by. Clearly this was after a very boozy football day out in London, probably after midnight. Luckily if there were any other objects on or near the station platform, there was sufficient clearance from the train so that it didn't cause me any injury.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Really struggling with this.

I’ve been a regular commuter to London for many years, starting with the old slam door trains and now the new ones where windows don’t open.

I never once saw anyone stick their head out of the window while the train was moving.

Don't know where you were looking then - people used to look out of the windows all the time, for all sorts of reasons. Not in tunnels, obviously, and always advisable to keep a good look out fr approaching hardware or bridges. The young lady on the Bristol train was terribly unlucky - the rail companies now are much more lax about vegetation, and tree branches probably get much closer to the trains than signals, bridges, etc. were ever positioned. You only have to look at the state of the tracks - express trains are regularly whizzing through long grass at 90mph!

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
For those of you talking about this and how the rail company shouldn't be blamed, I would suggest you have a read of the official Rail Accident Investigation Board report into the incident, which identified that while the individual should not have had their head out of the window Govia had not taken the steps they were required to to prevent this and the gantry was much closer to the line than other similar structures

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/59245646ed915d20f80000a9/R092017_170525_Balham.pdf

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Back in the day people would open the slam doors when the train was travelling at speed between Falmer and Lewes and swing or lean out on them, just amazing when you think about it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Back in the day people would open the slam doors when the train was travelling at speed between Falmer and Lewes and swing or lean out on them, just amazing when you think about it.

Every day at every London mainline station.....jumping off before it stopped in the morning and swinging out with the door, and at home time running and opening the door as the train trundled away, with a poor guard screaming ‘stand away’ in vain........happy days [emoji23][emoji23]

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here