Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Cycle lanes - good for the environment, congestion, health and the economy

Supadupahands

Mar 10, 2016
I commute from Portslade to Duirrington by bike at least 3 times a week, coast road is fine in my opinion, plenty of space for driver to go past you and the designated bike route is marked inland (although I'd rather take the risk of the coast road than ride through deepest darkest Southwick.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
The problem with the vast majority of discussions about cycle lanes and cycling in general is that it rapidly descends into name calling and a binfest, rendering any reasonable debate impossible. Personally I find it very hard to find an argument against well planned and executed cycle lanes, built for purpose. I believe the biggest issue that goes against cycle lanes is that a large proportion are basically not well planned and executed. Brighton has a large cycle lane network and on paper that is great. However for those of us who actually try to use them it is very apparent that the thing they are not, is well planned and executed . A lot have been created just by painting a line a couple of feet from the kerb, narrowing to a few inches when the road narrows.These are frequently blocked by cars, refuse bins , etc Some suddenly jump on to the pavement where there is no room, some have traffic signs, lamposts, bus stops in them. Most are poorly maintained and marked, especially when they run right in the middle of a pedestrian area, so that it isnt clear that there is a lane there at all, a lot are poorly positioned with the pavement between them and the road, so that pedestrians have to cross them to get to shops, attractions etc. There is no cohernt layout, meaning that you actually cant cycle from one side of the city to the other using lanes without going miles out of your way, or being left high and dry with no lane in sight

Even the new ones being put in Valley Gardens and in front of the pier will have these inbuilt flaws rendering them unusable for what the council says it wants, namely people to choose to use cycles for short commutes, trips to town etc. People who use cycles as anything other than a gentle leisure ride, poodling along at 5 mph and stopping every couple of mins simply can't use the existing or planned lanes effectively.

The only way to have a cycle network that actually works is to build the infrastructue properly in the first place, and that is something this council are steadfastly refusing to do

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I commute from Portslade to Duirrington by bike at least 3 times a week, coast road is fine in my opinion, plenty of space for driver to go past you and the designated bike route is marked inland (although I'd rather take the risk of the coast road than ride through deepest darkest Southwick.

Tip: if you are in a hurry cycling through Shoreham, try and avoid the railway crossing gates: official cycle route is a mare. Alternative way is to go under bridges. The real problem in Shoreham is too many cyclists, not enough off road routes and very crowded at weekends. Clear sight lines help a lot on roads and paths, although cars accelerate much too quickly on hairy occasions, especially when jumping level crossing lights, beware!

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
The idea of induced demand – more cycle space brings more cyclists, not enough cycle paths, bloody pedestrians

Where there are cycle paths, like the road my office is on, the majority of cyclists still use the pavement in preference to the designated cycle lane. It seems to be the "culture" now and unless or until the police can be arsed to actually enforce the law I can only see the number of pavement cyclists continuing to increase. So what's the point of spending more money on cycle paths / lanes if so many are just going to ignore them?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Where there are cycle paths, like the road my office is on, the majority of cyclists still use the pavement in preference to the designated cycle lane. It seems to be the "culture" now and unless or until the police can be arsed to actually enforce the law I can only see the number of pavement cyclists continuing to increase. So what's the point of spending more money on cycle paths / lanes if so many are just going to ignore them?

I know this has been covered a thousand times and I don't know where your office is but most cycle paths are (with Sussex example in brackets):

- shared use and full of vicious dogs, and otherwise unsuitable for anyone but small children riding at walking at walking pace (e.g. from Ringmer to Lewes/ Brighton seafront);
- full of parked cars (Dyke Road);
- full of glass and other ditritus (any edge of road cycle lanes);
- full of drains (any edge of road cycle lanes);
- of an unsuitable surface for road bikes (Falmer to Woodingdean and Ditching Road);
- not wide enough;
- poorly connected (try using the lanes from Lewes Road to the seafront, it's nigh-on impossible); and
- intersected by many roads.

Proper segregated cycle lanes, on the other hand, are fantastic and indeed used. See the fine example by my office, below:
https://www.google.com/maps/@53.794...4!1sG82Y2Y5ujX74h5wQDwibiQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Yes. Brighton, hills or not, would be a national/world cycling hotspot with decent facilities. Look at the success of the hire bikes. That's how people want to get around. Just think how much better it would be with a genuine commitment to infrastructure and facilities

I know this has been covered a thousand times and I don't know where your office is but most cycle paths are (with Sussex example in brackets):

- shared use and full of vicious dogs, and otherwise unsuitable for anyone but small children riding at walking at walking pace (e.g. from Ringmer to Lewes/ Brighton seafront);
- full of parked cars (Dyke Road);
- full of glass and other ditritus (any edge of road cycle lanes);
- full of drains (any edge of road cycle lanes);
- of an unsuitable surface for road bikes (Falmer to Woodingdean and Ditching Road);
- not wide enough;
- poorly connected (try using the lanes from Lewes Road to the seafront, it's nigh-on impossible); and
- intersected by many roads.

Proper segregated cycle lanes, on the other hand, are fantastic and indeed used. See the fine example by my office, below:
https://www.google.com/maps/@53.794...4!1sG82Y2Y5ujX74h5wQDwibiQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

I think you are confusing lane (on the road mixed with motorised traffic) and paths (off road). Destination cyclists (not the lycra brigade) will use off road if available for safety reasons.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
East Sussex County Council did not bother to apply for a Government Grant to help design Local Cycling and Walking Infrastructure plan - dont think cycling is high on their list of priorities, shame as there is a need for alternatives to private pollution producing cars for short journeys

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Good article

There are a number of blocks to getting the cycling network up to where it needs to be, financial, practical, but the biggest is the political will to make the required changes.

Probably this is because for every 1 person who reads a sensible article like this, there are 10 others who read, for example, “Corbyn declares war on car drivers” or “looney left council wastes money on cycle lanes”

Plucked from the sky to make your point sound better.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
Encouraging cycling is the right way forward but the gap between where it is to where it needs to be is massive. As a recent convert it just isn't very safe. One size doesn't fit all. Cycling, motoring and pedestrians don't mix. Cycling needs its own dedicated network which needs a massive political change. Not holding my breathe.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'll hazard a guess the brain damage inflicted here will last slightly longer than the 20 month prison sentence handed out yesterday:-

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
If you want the “temporary” cycle lane on the OSR removed sign the petition and spread the word. For fairness the second petition below is to keep it but imho unfairly adds a citywide network to the petition too!

https://present.brighton-hove.gov.uk/mgEPetitionDisplay.aspx?ID=696&RPID=36306160&HPID=36306160

https://present.brighton-hove.gov.uk/mgEPetitionDisplay.aspx?ID=702&RPID=36306160&HPID=36306160

Thanks. Signed (the second one, obviously)

Propper citywide cycle network. Brighton as the new Amsterdam What's not to like?

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
It all depends where they are. Most of Britain's city streets are too narrow to take a cycle lane safely.
The proposed cycle lane, on a widened pavemenr will not only endanger pedestrians but force already heavy traffic close to my house. I am not in favour.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
lanes.jpg

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Thanks. Signed (the second one, obviously)

Propper citywide cycle network. Brighton as the new Amsterdam What's not to like?

Ditto. OSR and Western Road should just be the start - let's get the whole city linked up

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here