Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Their hero 'Boris' getting totally owned by The Prime Minister of Luxembourg - there'll be a lot of hurt and angst out there in the country tonight.

Whatever one thinks of Boris Johnson, I really do think this was rather pathetic behaviour by the Luxembourg PM and only goes to reinforce the views of those who voted leave.
I voted remain, by the way.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
full coalition would be a daft position for them to take. current polling would suggest a Labour-SNP-Liberal pact being the only viable alternative, and cant see the SNP wanting to get too close either. that group would certainly be looking to revoke.

I'm curious - why can't you see the SNP wanting to get close to that group? Their raison-d'etre is clearly independence but their biggest priority right now is the Scottish economy and they will surely believe that is best served by revoking A50.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
India you say, maybe once we are below them we can stop sending them aid?

The UK is to hand over £98m to India despite the country - which has spent almost the same on a lunar probe - now giving out more foreign aid than it receives. As part of the UK's aid budget, the Department for International Development (DfID) will give £52m this year and a further £46m in 2019/20.

No aid is given to the Indian Government from the UK, money goes to Indian enterprises and is seen as investment that will benefit the UK long term.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Emperor Verhofstadt going with his world order with a EU Empire spiel again at the Liberal Undemocrats conference. Listen to how the zealots lap it up.
So much for remaining in so that the EU can be reformed.

Is he wrong?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Whatever one thinks of Boris Johnson, I really do think this was rather pathetic behaviour by the Luxembourg PM and only goes to reinforce the views of those who voted leave.
WTF???

That is absolutely mental. He was making the point that the UK government haven't bothered to look at the border issue (again) and pleading that the EU shouldn't be blamed for that. I think we can all see who the pathetic one is here. You disappoint me - you seem a highly intelligent and decent fella from what I've read on here, but when it comes to the Tory party, you clearly have a massive blind spot. Johnson is undoubtedly one of, if not the worst PMs of all time, but you seem to make excuses for him at every turn.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales

Boris Johnson's team wanted to move the interview inside at the last minute, which would have excluded most of the 140 journalists who had travelled to Luxembourg as the room was too small. The podiums outside were wired up ready to go.

The views expressed were those of the Luxembourg PM, not the EU itself. It may have been more diplomatic not to say what he said, but he was absolutely right to continue the press conference. It's his country, it's not his fault his guest flounced.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

The press conference was arranged outside because Bettel's office is far too small for the 140 press that were invited. Johnson was booed & heckled when he arrived so he chose not to take part in the press conference. I fail to see what is pathetic about Bettel.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'm curious - why can't you see the SNP wanting to get close to that group? Their raison-d'etre is clearly independence but their biggest priority right now is the Scottish economy and they will surely believe that is best served by revoking A50.

too close, meaning they wouldnt want full coalition either, stay with confidence and supply to prop up a Labour minority government.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Boris Johnson's team wanted to move the interview inside at the last minute, which would have excluded most of the 140 journalists who had travelled to Luxembourg as the room was too small. The podiums outside were wired up ready to go.

The views expressed were those of the Luxembourg PM, not the EU itself. It may have been more diplomatic not to say what he said, but he was absolutely right to continue the press conference. It's his country, it's not his fault his guest flounced.

Snap.
We posted exactly the same thing at the same time.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Not at all. The outside press conference was agreed by both the British and Luxemburg sides a couple of days ago, for the simple reason that there was no room in the PM's building to house the number of press representatives who wanted to attend. The lecterns were set up, miked and prepared for the media. Just minutes before the presser, the British asked to move indoors - this would have meant a) a long delay and b) the vast majority of journalists being barred from attending - so the Luxembourgois said no.

If the British had wanted an indoor event, they should have asked for one a couple of days ago: they didn't.

Anyone who has worked in media will tell you that finding and setting up a room for several hundred journalists (print and TV) is not something that can be done in minutes.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
T.May decided to totally ignore half the referendum voters and it has been 3 years of disaster because of it.

It seems the Lib Dems have learnt nothing from this and decided to ignore half the referendum voters.

I agree with you that it is not that smart a move, although as said the Lib Dems winning a majority is hugely unlikely.

But I think it is interesting to note how those who are most angry at the thought of the Leave vote being ignored were the ones who didn't so much as raise an eyebrow when the entire Remain vote was being ignored.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I thought it was great by this season's scriptwriters to introduce a new support character and found his scene pretty entertaining.

I hope that the casting department has done a good job for Juncker's replacement in November and Tusk's replacement in December.

Obviously they are still deciding how long a run in the show Boris gets.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
4 pages till 10,000. Who is top of the league for posts on this thread?

It's a landmark day today for The NSC Brexit Thread, as we'll break the 100,000 post mark shortly. As of a little while ago this was the league table for posters on the thread with 1000+ posts on it.

Pretty pink fairy - Posts 3,553
Two Professors - Posts 3,446
The Clamp - Posts 3,445
pastafarian - Posts 3,360
Herr Tubthumper - Posts 3,351
JC Footy Genius - Posts 3,329
ManOfSussex - Posts 3,327
Baldseagull - Posts 3,212
Thunder Bolt - Posts 2,782
WATFORD zero - Posts 2,776
nicko31 - Posts 2,660
Lincoln Imp - Posts 2,376
Westdene Seagull - Posts 2,221
beorhthelm - Posts 1,638
GT49er - Posts 1,574
Plooks - Posts 1,526
Soulman - Posts 1,486
portslade seagull - Posts 1,343
bashlsdir - Posts 1,239
Hampster Gull - Posts 1,219
Garry Nelson's teacher - Posts 1,139
The Rivet - Posts 1,070
Blue Valkyrie - Posts 1,038

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
This "EU army" stuff really does come over as stupid to me. What objection could people have unless they genuinely want to go to war with Europe?

Any realistic threats to the UK would also be a threat to Europe, and if it stops the UK blundering around the world getting into mad scrapes like Iraq then surely that's a good thing, right?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This "EU army" stuff really does come over as stupid to me. What objection could people have unless they genuinely want to go to war with Europe?

Any realistic threats to the UK would also be a threat to Europe, and if it stops the UK blundering around the world getting into mad scrapes like Iraq then surely that's a good thing, right?

The hysteria seems to be that people think it will mean conscription, because some countries still have national service. The irony being that national service in the UK seems to be a thing of choice for many Tories.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
what a mad statement
Regards
DF

Clearly you need things spelled out for you. You are agreeing that soldiers who fought fascism in WW2 are to be admired and appreciated for their bravery while you call yourself after a Nazi division that committed atrocities against those soldiers in WW2.
You are a disgusting excuse for a human.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It's a landmark day today for The NSC Brexit Thread, as we'll break the 100,000 post mark shortly. As of a little while ago this was the league table for posters on the thread with 1000+ posts on it.

Pretty pink fairy - Posts 3,553
Two Professors - Posts 3,446
The Clamp - Posts 3,445
pastafarian - Posts 3,360
Herr Tubthumper - Posts 3,351
JC Footy Genius - Posts 3,329
ManOfSussex - Posts 3,327
Baldseagull - Posts 3,212
Thunder Bolt - Posts 2,782
WATFORD zero - Posts 2,776
nicko31 - Posts 2,660
Lincoln Imp - Posts 2,376
Westdene Seagull - Posts 2,221
beorhthelm - Posts 1,638
GT49er - Posts 1,574
Plooks - Posts 1,526
Soulman - Posts 1,486
portslade seagull - Posts 1,343
bashlsdir - Posts 1,239
Hampster Gull - Posts 1,219
Garry Nelson's teacher - Posts 1,139
The Rivet - Posts 1,070
Blue Valkyrie - Posts 1,038

How do you find such stats out ?

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
There was disruption when we left the Goldstone, we survived and got stronger.

It's really important to view the bigger picture, it's about being prepared individually as you would if you knew a storm was coming, quite often the fence panels stay up and some people live without fence panels until that becomes a priority and of course having a positive mindset..

Mouldy, I am fine with a bit of disruption sometimes. I lived in a shithole of a house at uni to save some money, I moved country to take an internship and leave a sector that could have seen me progress upwards, and I also left a well paid job to start my own business and live off the few hundred it made a month for 3 years until I started to turn a profit. So I like to think I'm your ideal target audience here.

My question is: I'm willing to tighten the belt, prepare and take risks if I believe in something. Why should I believe? I've really never seen any evidence that Brexit will improve things dramatically for me or (as a soon to be new father) my kids. It really does seem like a blind guess to me that things will improve beyond the progress we could have made within the EU. I tried to engage with both sides pre-referendum and although the remain campaign left a lot to be desired the leave campaign was simply based on no evidence.

So I'm happy to make some sacrifices but someone has to give me a good reason first.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Nope, you haven't convinced me.

I have decided to clean up NSC Brexit thread on my own because of the regular insults being thrown by the vast majority of remain voters on this thread and the MODS obviously are happy to see cyberbullying.

I can handle it but some might not.

So my policy is not to converse with a poster who insults people all the time, in real life, it would happen or I would square it. So squaring it on here means no communication.

It's not a hissy fit like some poster have done by using the ignore feature.

I can still see you all. :wave:

#Respectyourfellowposter

The best bit of advice I can offer is to stop wasting time by reading out of date documents and start to prepare yourself if you're worried.

Dicks scared :rolleyes:

There was disruption when we left the Goldstone, we survived and got stronger.

It's really important to view the bigger picture, it's about being prepared individually as you would if you knew a storm was coming, quite often the fence panels stay up and some people live without fence panels until that becomes a priority and of course having a positive mindset.

You may have time for me to give this an answer, I haven't!

Just trust the British we will adapt.

Not really it actually looked good on him as for those protestors they just helped his poll ratings.

Hope this makes you feel good, you're on the list anyway.

If we were dealing with the Arabs on this yeah anything can happen, we come a long way since then and this really isn't going to war, after all, they are making NO movements to help prevent us from leaving, it's in their hands also.

A) 10 years of austerity should have toughened you up!
B) We could debate austerity until the cows come home, I don't have that time I would rather prepare for Brexit.

Thanks for the reply to my specific question. But claiming you don’t have time to explain yourself, yet you find time to regularly post and also have just posted the longest thread I’ve seen in ages makes me think you’re bullshitting. Be honest, you don’t have anything beyond the vague wishy-washy platitudes you always spout.

I’ll now leave you to trot out the “I don’t have to explain myself to anyone” line so favoured by your type.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here