Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton Women first home game of the WSL season Sunday 15th Sept vs Chelsea

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
As you merit an answer, probably this thread is more appropriate:
https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?373237-Women-s-football-on-a-monumental-rise

Zeetha's Albion Women's match threads are probably best left for comments on the Albion Women games themselves rather than making specific points about women's football in general. In truth, we've had a few threads on those things over the last year, so there's been (and remains) ample opportunity to express general opinions on women's football, sustainability, interest levels, media coverage, etc. on these without needing to comment on these match threads. I think that's fair - freedom of speech whilst respecting the OP.

As someone who's been called a misogynist and told to f*ck off on a previous women's football thread for expressing an opinion, I know that sometimes dissenting viewpoints, however well-informed, can be viewed as unwelcome and people respond accordingly, if not always appropriately. So yes, in a sense I do see where you're coming from. And yes, sarcasm and mockery are rarely conducive to conversation. Nevertheless, it's best to keep general opinions away from future match threads for the good of all.

All of that said, it was a very good attendance at Crawley for the Albion when compared with other games and previous seasons. Last year, there was a game with less than 400, so progress has certainly been made. It's a lot more impressive having 1,300+ paying supporters than 25,000 with free entry, even if it doesn't create the sensationalist media headlines. Honest, organic growth wins every time, however long it may take.

Of course, well done to Albion Women for a great result against a Chelsea side packed full of quality internationals. And Millie Bright.

Thank you hart's shirt. That's very informative and thanks for taking the time to respond so fully. It didn't even register to me as a match thread as I hadn't noticed we had such a thing. Actually, I won't express an opinion on WSL anywhere now as it clearly is best not to express anything anywhere but a positive view. I'll take the hint.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The FA is urging fans to attend a women's match at any level of the pyramid over it's first Women's Football Weekend on 16-17 November.

Must admit I'm sick of being lectured about not going to Women's Football. They can offer all the free tickets and travel they like, but I'm just not interested. There's a lot of things you can't say in public any more. Being a Men's football fan with no interest in Women's Football will soon have to be kept a dark secret, unsaid but to all except close friends and family.

See what I mean? I posted a less than complimentary comment about women's football on a women's football thread and get a tellling off. Compliments only for the ladies! Which thread should I have used, should I not have said the unsayable or have I been whooshed?

Actually, you bring it upon yourself.

A matchday thread about the Albion Women - something of you yourself say is of zero interest to you - and you can't wait to tell the world it's of no interest to you. Moreover, letting us know how easily you are upset by being merely told about it.

You're not going to believe this but... there really is no gun being held to your temple which forces you to have anything to do with it.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Actually, you bring it upon yourself.

A matchday thread about the Albion Women - something of you yourself say is of zero interest to you - and you can't wait to tell the world it's of no interest to you. Moreover, letting us know how easily you are upset by being merely told about it.

You're not going to believe this but... there really is no gun being held to your temple which forces you to have anything to do with it.

I've been suitably reprimanded and moved on. This is not the thread to comment further.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Thank you hart's shirt. That's very informative and thanks for taking the time to respond so fully. It didn't even register to me as a match thread as I hadn't noticed we had such a thing. Actually, I won't express an opinion on WSL anywhere now as it clearly is best not to express anything anywhere but a positive view. I'll take the hint.

No worries about the reply mate. NSC has always been a place for differing and diverse opinions - it would be a lot poorer if it were not for any reason.

The thread was only bounced after a couple of months last weekend with the large attendances, so in all fairness you can probably be forgiven for missing it!

There's plenty of dissenting voices (mine included) on the thread mentioned, so join in, argue your point and defend it if needs be.

As ever on NSC, it's all generally ok as long as there's some degree of civility, which I think there is for the most part.

But yes, Zeetha's match threads should probably be kept for things concerning the games. It's Albion-related, so it's right to support her commitment.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I love the Albion and it was amazing last year when nearly every football team we put out representing our great city was in their highest league.

These include, boys teams, girls teams, people with Cerebral Palsy teams, deaf teams, blind teams, mental heath issue teams, amputee teams as well as men's and women's teams. All have a pathways to higher national levels.

I am proud of all these people that put on the BHAFC shirt, I am sure most of them are too. I say well done the Albion for building and supporting this.

I believe at the last count 11 million people play organised FA football at least twice a month. 3 million of these people are women.

In comparison the funding for the men's game is stratospheric compared to the other forms listed above including the women's game.

I wanted to just post this just once, as the OP and hart's shirt (Gary Hart being my all time favorite player who runs inclusive football schools and who used to bring his daughters along to U23 games) have implied its fine not to like women's football and as long as its discussed in a polite way its all okay. I just need to say I don't agree with you on this. You need to take a long hard look at the definition of Misogyny.

Misogyny (/mɪˈsɒdʒɪni/) is the hatred, contempt for, or prejudice against women or girls. It manifests in social exclusion, sex discrimination, hostility, male privilege, belittling of women, violence and sexual objectification.

I for one am so proud when local players get into the first team, and I still believe Dunk will get more England caps. I will be proud when this happens in the women's teams as well, which I believe it will.

Like you have both implied you love the Men's team and that's brilliant they need all the support they can get to stay at the top level for a third year. So if thats all you want, thats excellent. But for many people we are interested in the other teams and want to support them and help them stay in the top leagues they fought so hard to get into as well.

As I have posted on the other forum you mentioned about attendees at women's game, you can go into your club settings quite easily and switch off club communications, as I am sure you can do on twitter and other forms of Social Media. So as other posters have said, no one is telling you what to do.

But on Sunday the 29th our next WSL match is away at Arsenal and live on the BBC 12.30 KO. I for one will love seeing how we have improved since Arsenal won the title last year at the Amex in front of paying 5,265 fans.

Come on the Albion

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here