Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I understood it perfectly thanks, by having remain on that ballot you split the leave vote v remain......lets no forget we have already decided NOT to remain, but if you insist on ignoring that aspect lets split the remain vote with those who are not massive fans of the EU but insist we should however stay in and reform it to suit what we like (quite a few on here) and those that think the EU is wonderful and we should fully embrace it.......lets have how should we remain as two options as well.
Alternatively lets just let parliament and the executive do what they are supposed to be doing and sort out delivering the decision to leave as they are supposed to do and trying to do, but having difficulty

OK. In the spirit of being nice, I am going to politely acknowledge that we disagree on this matter and leave it there. Good day to you and “up the Albion”.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Well I never, here's one. The connection between fox hunting and No Deal? Love to hear this one.........

Good grief. Really? This really, really isn't hard.

1. dingodan goes on (and on and on and on and on) about how an Member of Parliament MUST act in line with the wishes of his constituents.
2. Thirty people explain that it doesn't work like that - that they have to make judgement calls of their own.
3. dan repeats himself fourteen more times (NOT moaning though - only stating facts) that they MUST follow their constituents wishes.
4. It is pointed out to him that MPs represent not just those that voted for them, but those that voted against them, and indeed those that never voted at all. MPs represent all of them, and need to act in the best interests of the whole.
5. Herr T asks dan, how, according to his narrow view, an MP can represent two constituents with opposite wishes.
6. Mellotron then uses the (deliberately ridiculous) EXAMPLE of fox hunting, to illustrate to dan, that his MP is not 'representing him' (and so its really, really unfair, and undemocratic, and worth a good CRY).

Any help?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
So, in summary, Russia under 'no deal' can export fuel to Britain at zero import rate instead of the 4.7% they currently pay.

Any Fuel that Britain exports to the EU after 'no deal' will be subject to an import rate of 4.7% instead of the zero import rate we currently pay.

I can't see any issues with that, but apparently the British fuel industry thinks differently ???

тройной для всех

:cheers:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Yes those are the facts of a No Deal withdrawal on one industry.

I'm more curious as to your opinion on such a deal, specifically if there's a plus side to such an arrangement.
A plus side to an industry that directly employs 120.000 people and generates £8.7bn.

Well a plus side would be where previously imports were at 4.7% they would now be cheaper because the import rate would be 0%.
Would i trust these savings to passed on to the consumer, it would be nice to think they would wouldnt it. Would certainly be an extra tool in the armoury of those who lobby for the consumer to get a better deal.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well a plus side would be where previously imports were at 4.7% they would now be cheaper because the import rate would be 0%.
Would i trust these savings to passed on to the consumer, it would be nice to think they would wouldnt it. Would certainly be an extra tool in the armoury of those who lobby for the consumer to get a better deal.

Possible short term consumer gain v a currently stable profitable industry.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If you want to nod that Leave has already won Remain does not need to be included in a ballot at all. We have already voted NOT to remain.
You can skip straight to question two and ask how should we leave.
You've made your position on a referendum very clear, but I'm not arguing that am I. I'm simply correcting you by pointing out that Jim's solution does not split the leave vote. Are you incapable of just admitting you are wrong?

Of course you are. That's why you're still adamant a no deal Brexit was what people voted for.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Good grief. Really? This really, really isn't hard.

1. dingodan goes on (and on and on and on and on) about how an Member of Parliament MUST act in line with the wishes of his constituents.
2. Thirty people explain that it doesn't work like that - that they have to make judgement calls of their own.
3. dan repeats himself fourteen more times (NOT moaning though - only stating facts) that they MUST follow their constituents wishes.
4. It is pointed out to him that MPs represent not just those that voted for them, but those that voted against them, and indeed those that never voted at all. MPs represent all of them, and need to act in the best interests of the whole.
5. Herr T asks dan, how, according to his narrow view, an MP can represent two constituents with opposite wishes.
6. Mellotron then uses the (deliberately ridiculous) EXAMPLE of fox hunting, to illustrate to dan, that his MP is not 'representing him' (and so its really, really unfair, and undemocratic, and worth a good CRY).

Any help?

Brilliant. Thanks. :thumbsup: There was I applying logic. :facepalm:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think we need to agree some kind of fair distribution of labour on this and organize a 'take turns to explain how democracy works to [MENTION=18559]dingodan[/MENTION]' system.

What you are all saying about "how democracy works", is infact how it doesn't work.

In every sense. The proof is in the pudding. Your way is the current way being effected.

It won't "work" this way, because trust is gone.

A no-deal Brexit may have had some negative consequences for this country.

A no-trust democracy will ultimately take us somewhere much worse when all is said and done.

[MENTION=33872]highflyer[/MENTION]. I’m in. Can you put me down for Wednesdays and Thursdays please. I will be on vacation late October though.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So, in summary, Russia under 'no deal' can export fuel to Britain at zero import rate instead of the 4.7% they currently pay.

Any Fuel that Britain exports to the EU after 'no deal' will be subject to an import rate of 4.7% instead of the zero import rate we currently pay.

I can't see any issues with that, but apparently the British fuel industry thinks differently ???
The British people have had enough of exports

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Just checking in, everyone still losing their shit in here?

Yeah? Ok, cool.

I'm not losing my shit! Who do you think you are, you ****ing ****? Coming on here... *fume*

:tantrum: :annoyed: :rant: :angry: :catfight: :guns:

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
The government will use the FTPA again to try to get their early election, meaning they need two thirds of MP's to back it. They must reckon they can get Labour to back it over the weekend.

Not sure how it can be voted on again after I was rejected yesterday and Monday will count as the same session of parliament, but there you go.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
You've made your position on a referendum very clear, but I'm not arguing that am I. I'm simply correcting you by pointing out that Jim's solution does not split the leave vote. Are you incapable of just admitting you are wrong?

Of course you are. That's why you're still adamant a no deal Brexit was what people voted for.

Where have i said the people( as a whole) voted for a no deal brexit,

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

It does, though I think it's massively over complicated.

I would have Leave/Remain as the first question

and an if we do leave, which of these options would you prefer: with a full customs union, no deal, and something in between as the options.

Of course as the remainers would have their say, I would expect the customs union to win. And I think most people from both sides would agree that a customs union would be worse than our current arrangement, as we'd have less say.

Which is why I think the government would be justified to revoke article 50 and remain.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here