Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Dominic Grieve.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Grieve needs to leave those Tory wankers and join Change, he will be welcomed with open arms.

"Change". What lead by the quintessential politician Chuka Umunna?

Yeah that's believable.

"Former Labour shadow minister Chuka Umunna has described claims that the campaign for a second Brexit referendum is cover for the creation of a new centrist political party as "utter bollocks".

Allegations that the People's Vote group calling for another poll on Britain's relationship with the EU was a smokescreen for disaffected MPs to breakaway under his leadership were "false news", the London MP told the Guardian."

https://www.aol.co.uk/news/2018/08/...lk-of-new-political-party-plan-under-cover-of

6 months later...

Once a snide, deceitful, self serving, sanctimonious, self righteous politician, always a snide, deceitful, self serving, sanctimonious, self righteous politician.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
FPTP is a ridiculous anachronism that means that this is even a problem. Grieve would get re-elected no matter what party he was running for in a multi member constituency - and quite a lot of the jokeshop MPs all around wouldn't have ever got in.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
"Change". What lead by the quintessential politician Chuka Umunna?

Yeah that's believable.

"Former Labour shadow minister Chuka Umunna has described claims that the campaign for a second Brexit referendum is cover for the creation of a new centrist political party as "utter bollocks".

Allegations that the People's Vote group calling for another poll on Britain's relationship with the EU was a smokescreen for disaffected MPs to breakaway under his leadership were "false news", the London MP told the Guardian."

https://www.aol.co.uk/news/2018/08/...lk-of-new-political-party-plan-under-cover-of

6 months later...

Once a snide, deceitful, self serving, sanctimonious, self righteous politician, always a snide, deceitful, self serving, sanctimonious, self righteous politician.

Well the Peoples Vote campaign and the Independent group are very separate entities. I'm not a supporter of his but it's fair to say his split away from the Labour party has more to do with Corbyn than the referendum.

I travel down to Sussex every now and then and Waterloo East (as opposed to Waterloo) is my station of choice because it's very very quiet and on the line to Hastings between Charing Cross and London Bridge.

I get off at a small village down there that doesn't even have a shop or a nearby pub.

I read somewhere (possibly Private Eye) that a small group of Labour MPs were taking the exact same journey (less likely to be spotted) and renting a property in the village. It was confirmed to me by a taxi driver. This was possibly a year ago.

I suspect the new "party" didn't have much traction until a few disaffected Tories jumped ship. From what I've read about the Peoples Vote people, they weren't very happy because they didn't want to be associated with a single party.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sadly, too many of them are not. Their sole aim, along with Labour (against the will of most of their core seats), the Lib Dems, the SNP and the DUP, is to thwart Brexit by any means fair or foul; in fact, ditch the 'fair'.

And why not?

I would imagine a majority of electors in most constituencies would bring back hanging. And MPs resist it.

If only more had the balls to oppose this absurd suicidal brexit bollocks.

If my MP stood on hanging and I voted him in, I'd rightly be pissed off if he turned all hippy in the house. This ain't that. Not event Boris stood on a Brexit platform in the election but one ago :shrug:

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Well the Peoples Vote campaign and the Independent group are very separate entities. I'm not a supporter of his but it's fair to say his split away from the Labour party has more to do with Corbyn than the referendum.

I travel down to Sussex every now and then and Waterloo East (as opposed to Waterloo) is my station of choice because it's very very quiet and on the line to Hastings between Charing Cross and London Bridge.

I get off at a small village down there that doesn't even have a shop or a nearby pub.

I read somewhere (possibly Private Eye) that a small group of Labour MPs were taking the exact same journey (less lightly to be spotted) and renting a property in the village. It was confirmed to me by a taxi driver. This was possibly a year ago.

I suspect the new "party" didn't have much traction until a few disaffected Tories jumped ship. From what I've read about the Peoples Vote people, they weren't very happy because they didn't want to be associated with a single party.

Yeah or I don't know, maybe he's a politician.

Good luck with "Change". "Yes they can". "[Insert flashy PR formulation here]".

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
image.jpeg

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
To be honest, I think that's were the whole shitstorm originated. There seemed to be a collective madness to trigger Article 50 as soon as possible before actually thinking about the implications and what our aims were and how we were going to go about the negotiations. I think MP's on all sides were hasty and pressured in to voting for it in case they were seen as being " Anti the Will of the People " and obstructive.

However, if we had stepped back from triggering Article 50 before we were sure of what we were doing, we probably would NOT have triggered it and that would have brought the entire shitstorm forward 2 years ago rather than now at the end of May's " Negotiations ". Mind you at that point in time those in government genuinely believed in the Easiest deal in The World scenario.

You're observation is spot on.... If you have the time there is a brilliant article (written from a European perspective) that details exactly how the EU moved quickly to out flank our negotiators and to set the field of play and the rules of every stage of the process.

Despite it being branded as "May's deal" the end result, is it's a carefully crafted international treaty whose process was almost entirely controlled by the EU and whose terms are almost entirely in their favour. It is crap, our lack of foresight meant we walked into a game of poker where the cards were already laid out on table. It's a great insight into the process..... https://www.politico.eu/article/how-uk-lost-brexit-eu-negotiation/

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
You're observation is spot on.... If you have the time there is a brilliant article (written from a European perspective) that details exactly how the EU moved quickly to out flank our negotiators and to set the field of play and the rules of every stage of the process.

Despite it being branded as "May's deal" the end result, is it's a carefully crafted international treaty whose process was almost entirely controlled by the EU and whose terms are almost entirely in their favour. It is crap, our lack of foresight meant we walked into a game of poker where the cards were already laid out on table. It's a great insight into the process..... https://www.politico.eu/article/how-uk-lost-brexit-eu-negotiation/

With hindsight it was a rushed and poor decision. At the time however there was much Brexit fervour and a tory leadership election/new leader. Imagine now then if May had said I will trigger/invoke A50 within my time as PM, she was pressured by the situation to do this almost instantly.

We should learn from our mistakes.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Some folk seem to think they can. It is the unicorn believers, though:

https://leave.eu/deselect-your-remainer-tory-mp/

Leave.EU is targeting for deselection those Conservative MPs obstructing the people’s will.
We are building a network of Tory Party Members agitating to get their Remainer MP booted out. If you’re dissatisfied with your Conservative Member of Parliament and want to do something about it, why not get in touch with our team? Email: info@leave.eu
Click the this Hansard ink to find out if your MP voted in favour of Theresa May’s dismal dea

So are they looking to deselect JRM/Boris?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Leave.EU is targeting for deselection those Conservative MPs obstructing the people’s will.
We are building a network of Tory Party Members agitating to get their Remainer MP booted out. If you’re dissatisfied with your Conservative Member of Parliament and want to do something about it, why not get in touch with our team? Email: info@leave.eu
Click the this Hansard ink to find out if your MP voted in favour of Theresa May’s dismal dea

So are they looking to deselect JRM/Boris?

Well [MENTION=865]clapham_gull[/MENTION] says it is against Conservative rules to deselect a sitting MP, hence my unicorn comment. They can try . . . . just as I can try to fly by flapping my arms :shrug: Typical 'leave EU'.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Under rule changes agreed at a past conference, Labour have made it easier for shouty Corbynista activists to deselect a sitting MP who doesn't conform to their ideology. Ironically, when Corbyn was once under threat of deselection in Islington North, Tony Blair stepped in to save his neck and stopped the move.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

A long read,but interesting, Bloody EU meddlers, we should leave I reckon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here