Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Who is the WORST football pundit out there currently?

Jimmy Grimble

Part of me wants to say Souness, but the part of me that wakes up with a stinking hangover on a Sunday and sees his familiar snarling face, lecturing others about issues with modern footballers - without a care in the world for their opinion - knows that his predictable, stern utterings will be bizarrely reassuring and soothing to my fragile state.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
He graces our American Giant TV screens now - always sounds like he has just had a stroke / is a bit pissed / learning difficulties
With you on this. Always find it cringeworthy when Robbie and Rebecca Lowe start talking about Palarse (seeing how she is a closet Ultra). :facepalm:
Flip side is that Lee Dixon and Graham Le Saux seem to enjoy the job. They always sound as if they are chatting about the game whilst in the pub. Throw in a bit of old rivalry with some Bantz, usually entertaining.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
That perma - tanned tosser Warren Barton. Had to put up with his embarrassing cliches and lack of anything resembling a basic knowledge of football when Fox Sports won the rights to screen the 2018 World Cup in the States. In fact their whole commentary team was a shambles compared to ESPN's coverage in 2014.

On the flip side gotta say that Rebecca Lowe is doing a fine job as the anchor for NBC Sports coverage of the Premiership

Although Andy Townsend has reappeared as co-commentator in recent weeks. I thought I’d escaped his ‘say what you see’ analysis once I left England.
As for Fox - Shaka Hislop is another wind bag offering nothing but tired cliches in a Trinidadian accent.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
With you on this. Always find it cringeworthy when Robbie and Rebecca Lowe start talking about Palarse (seeing how she is a closet Ultra). :facepalm:
Flip side is that Lee Dixon and Graham Le Saux seem to enjoy the job. They always sound as if they are chatting about the game whilst in the pub. Throw in a bit of old rivalry with some Bantz, usually entertaining.

I have to say I enjoy Arlo, Dixon and Le Saux when they commentate together. Dixon does have some insightful tactical knowledge of the game.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
There should be a Ying to the shithouse Yang...who do we actually LIKE?

My vote here goes to Ian “The Moose” Abrahams. Not because he”s brilliant or perceptive, he just sounds like a good lad who likes his Football and isn’t up his own Arse.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
You can hear him sulk when Liverpool are not winning

He is absolutely the most biased and partisan pundit ever. If Liverpool aren't winning yet, they will be when they start playing...... that's about Steve Mcmanamanananan

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
He is absolutely the most biased and partisan pundit ever. If Liverpool aren't winning yet, they will be when they start playing...... that's about Steve Mcmanamanananan

That condition seems to afflict most of the ex Liverpool professional Scousers who pollute our screens and airwaves with their bias.

It’s taken Jamie “aright lar” Carragher years to realise he needs to offer balance and critique rather than bemoan LFC’s missed chances.. he gets it now, when he’s not gobbing on Man Utd fans that is.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There should be a Ying to the shithouse Yang...who do we actually LIKE?

Liam Rosenior and Jason Roberts were excellent when they covered the recent West Brom game. Eni Aluko is always good when she's on.

My favourite has to be Mick McCarthy: dry sense of humour and not one to pull his punches

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Merson. Quite a likeable guy by most accounts but an absolutely appalling pundit.

Honourable mentions for McManaman, Owen and Shearer though.

Sutton is an interesting one. I actually quite like him, he is far more intelligent than most British pundits, but he has now created a bit of a monster of his perceived character and no doubt sometimes goes completely over the top.

In the summer though at the world cup when he wasn’t trying to be overy controversial, he and Alistair Bruce-Ball were excellent together on 5 Live, some quality radio.

The Sutton - ABB double act is quite entertaining in its own way but is just on the edge of being self-indulgent.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
It used to be Alan Green who seemed to hate everything about football when commentating.

Cant stand Souness on Sky, the guy is a dinosaur and football has changed so much since he played.

However Sutton is the only pundit that I will change channel or radio station if he is on.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Danny Murphy for me...

He's as interesting as a park bench in a thunder storm, and all he does is agree with everyone else.

A close second is Alan Hansen, who may as well just stop pretending and wear his full Liverpool kit, bobble hat and scarf to the studio.

Completely agree. Danny 'the lads!' Murphy is terrible. He was on the radio last week and the subject of Coventry's financial problems came up. He said that if they go bust the fans can watch a DVD of their 1987 cup win, that will ease the pain(top bantz!). A Coventry fan then called in and rightly laid into him about it and Murphy's laughable response was - 'It's a game of opinions!'.

His comments a few weeks ago regarding Steve Bruce and Sheffield Wednesday were also piss poor.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
The Sutton - ABB double act is quite entertaining in its own way but is just on the edge of being self-indulgent.

Agree with that. It’s what always happens though isn’t it? The bosses pick up on something that’s good and popular and then ram it down us. Before long the presenters start believing their own hype and the quality goes a bit.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Agree with that. It’s what always happens though isn’t it? The bosses pick up on something that’s good and popular and then ram it down us. Before long the presenters start believing their own hype and the quality goes a bit.

Sutton seems to have become a caricature of himself, and it seems like the caricature has become more important that the football.

"your better than that" has become a mindless catch phrase

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here