Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Blame for this pickle lies at many doors.

I do feel however that if many had accepted the result and aimed for the best exit possible rather than continually scuppering and sabotaging and delaying hoping that it would go away and we'd simply give up, then the pill would be easier to swallow.

But the fundamental problem is "what is the best exit possible"? Even if you only asked the 17.4m Leave voters you'd get 10m different interpretations at least. The issue goes all the way back to the Leave campaign actively deciding not to pursue a singular vision of Leave prior to the vote in the hope that they could win the vote then "it'd be alright on the night".

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
God. I’m sick of the bellends in this country.

If we have a democracy then we have to abide by a majority vote. It doesn’t matter whether we made the “right” choice or not we made a choice.

Once in a lifetime vote? My ahole.there was a woman on BBC this morning (Labour) who was saying we could go for a leave but retain free movement etc....I’m not 100% sure on this but I’m fairly sure that freedom of movement was the main reason leavers voted out.

This country is a joke.

You know, I honestly don't get why people voted against free movement. It's a really good thing and has, according to official figures, brought a net gain.

And it's amusing when folk talk up the low unemployment figures with all those Johnny foreigners still here...

I honestly think that some thought voting leave would keep the other type of foreigners out.....

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
But the fundamental problem is "what is the best exit possible"? Even if you only asked the 17.4m Leave voters you'd get 10m different interpretations at least. The issue goes all the way back to the Leave campaign actively deciding not to pursue a singular vision of Leave prior to the vote in the hope that they could win the vote then "it'd be alright on the night".

I agree, in hindsight the biggest error at the beginning was not binning May and getting a Brexit leader of the Blues in for such a monumental period.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Blame for this pickle lies at many doors.

I do feel however that if many had accepted the result and aimed for the best exit possible rather than continually scuppering and sabotaging and delaying hoping that it would go away and we'd simply give up, then the pill would be easier to swallow.

Your problem is the bit in bold. There is absolutely no consensus whatsoever from Leavers as to what is the best exit possible. There are about 40,000 different versions. Which is patently undeliverable.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
BrExit - the countdown to 11PM GMT on Friday 29th of March 2019

https://twitter.com/sapere_vivere/status/1109017814537564160?s=21
https://twitter.com/sapere_vivere/status/1109017814537564160?s=21
39646d5de4437660226eca0e349011e5.jpg

By legal default, on our way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I agree, in hindsight the biggest error at the beginning was not binning May and getting a Brexit leader of the Blues in for such a monumental period.

No matter how much a leader may have been perceived to "believe" in Brexit (and it is worth remembering the Brexiters all ran away) they would still have encountered the same issues. May's red lines were cheered to the rafters by Brexiters, and yet it is those that have got us here and they would still have met the reality of the Good Friday Agreement. A more fundamental question was why "the blues" felt they alone should be the ones to negotiate the single biggest change to Britain's international standing since the war. The arrogance of that decision is utterly staggering.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I see of the genuine signatures in the Renege article 50 petition, the largest percentage are from Brighton, good work all You bitter folk, the bulk of the signatories are, of course bots, hey-ho.

By legal, on our way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
https://britorbot.org

Here's some useful tools for you to confirm your bot numbers. You'll have to cross reference the signature email addresses with twitter accounts first, but it should give you some idea whether your bot numbers look good.

Do let us know what you find.
Good news, Mr Lite !

BritOrBot have saved you doing all that work. You can stop now :)

The Bot Analysis of the petition is available here :

https://britorbot.org/2019/03/22/revoke-article-50-petition/

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
For all those people that are saying ... "the result was in 2016 we need to know what a 2019 result is" .... I say ... in that case I demand we know what the peoples vote is in 2022 & 2025 & 2028 in case views have changed

after all its only fair if you get a rerun this year that I can have one in another 3 years

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
For all those people that are saying ... "the result was in 2016 we need to know what a 2019 result is" .... I say ... in that case I demand we know what the peoples vote is in 2022 & 2025 & 2028 in case views have changed

after all its only fair if you get a rerun this year that I can have one in another 3 years

No problem with that. Why should I have? I'm not frightened of democracy.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

To which I would say it is a very different question that is being asked now. Nobody had any idea what it really meant before, now they do. So ask it again, if Leave wins then there can be no further argument.

Although what would probably happen is Remain would win 52/48 and then we really would be back to square one again.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
You know, I honestly don't get why people voted against free movement. It's a really good thing and has, according to official figures, brought a net gain.

And it's amusing when folk talk up the low unemployment figures with all those Johnny foreigners still here...

I honestly think that some thought voting leave would keep the other type of foreigners out.....

I think your right. Perhaps we could vote to leave the commonwealth next?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
hint ****ing hint

[tweet]1109060638796582913[/tweet]

A clear indication about what type of Brexit can be achieved. If May doesn't go for this she is willfully damaging the country, because she believes that 'the people voted for pain'.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The problem I see with a peoples vote is you would have to have more than 2 options on the vote, Mays deal, no deal or stay in EU. In fact you could even argue there should be a 4th option of the oppositions broad plan of leaving the EU but remaining with much closer links to the EU (customs union, Canada++ etc). So what happens if with another referendum and the percentages were broadly 20% Mays deal, 32% no deal, 48% stay in EU. So the highest single vote option is to revoke article 50 and stay in the EU but still over half the vote has opted by one way or another they still want to leave?

???

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
To be objective about this, the reason we are in such a mess is that no-one really knew what Brexit meant in 2016.

Excellent. Another sore loser that cannot admit that they LOST and that someone who voted FOR Brexit KNEW EXACTLY WHAT THEY VOTED FOR =LEAVE THE EU.

Your about as objective as a pig farmer at a vegan rally.

Conceited ass. It's twats like you and May that cannot admit that others might have known what they want when they voted.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I'll be there :)

True - we did have a vote three years ago. The point of the "People's Vote" is that, now we know the deal on offer, we should be able to vote on SPECIFICS. To be objective about this, the reason we are in such a mess is that no-one really knew what Brexit meant in 2016. We now have a much clearer idea, and it seems only right to put the specific deal to the people. And if we vote for that deal, then Remainers (like me) should absolutely accept the result. My suspicion is that the real objections to a Peoples Vote come from those who realise Theresa May's deal is crap, and that a second referendum will expose that fact. According to the polls, only around a third of people support the PM's deal. Not a great mandate to force it on the country, is it?

Aside from the Irish border issue what exactly are you objecting to in Mays deal?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here