Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Good on you Stacey Dooley

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Why is she suddenly a Strictly Star? For me she’s been a hard hitting documentary making ‘star’ for a lot longer. Then again, I assume that is copied and pasted from a newspaper website, written by people who are generally untenanted from the neck up.

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
David Lammy may have a point, but as an MP surely he knows how to tread carefully when bringing up subjective content matter.

To aim his irk towards Stacey Dooley, and by doing so Comic Relief too, is a crass attempt to get his point promoted across the media, he knows Dooley is well liked and also highly regarded as an investigative journalist.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
David Lammy may have a point, but as an MP surely he knows how to tread carefully when bringing up subjective content matter.

To aim his irk towards Stacey Dooley, and by doing so Comic Relief too, is a crass attempt to get his point promoted across the media, he knows Dooley is well liked and also highly regarded as an investigative journalist.

To be fair he has been consistently made this point for years. A number of charities have taken it on-board but there is still a lot of work to be done.

In my opinion the instagram pictures, celeb trips etc.. have become utterly cliched and should be ditched. They are already open to parody on the internet, one particularly site has got it frighteningly spot on.

Go back years and someone had the great idea (I think it was Bob) of turning money raising into entertainment to get people to sit up and listen. Unfortunately in many ways the fund raising has become "entertainment" itself.

Positively the charities do get that, have acknowledged it and are trying to change. All Stacey Dooley is guilty of is a bit of naivety in how those pictures can be perceived.

He isn't criticising her for doing this in this instance. There is a much wider picture and the wider picture isn't fixed by er... pics on instagram.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I see his point. It’s on thing gifting or raising money but quite different when you fly there and have the cliched photos taken. It’s a bit “I DONT LIKE TO TALK ABOUT MY CHARITY WORK BUT......”

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
David Lammy does seem to be making a lot of extreme statements of late, it’s a real shame as this country has a proud history charitable work.I’m sure the people receiving charitable donations aren’t bothered by the skin colour of the people that give.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Without wishing to hijack the thread, when you watch this, it helps you understand how people that grow up outside of leafy Sussex, in areas such as Luton may have concerns that many on here call out as racist.
https://youtu.be/b2nlIfn8tNA

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Why hasn't he had a go at Lenny Henry ?

This.

If it wasn't for this sort of gormless cockwomblery Labour would be the perpetual party of government. I am wondering who the dog whistle is meant for, though. Are the black voters in his constituency so middle class and racist that this sort of buffoonery would resonate? I doubt it. And I doubt that the local Turks will be impressed.

Anyway, if he wants white people to leave black people to their own devices, jobs a good 'un. Innit. Sort yourselves out, then. Wouldn't want to patronize you with white flesh, white ideas, white history and remind you of white opression, and that. To be safe, Mr Lammy, perhaps you should move somewhere that has no white people in it, so you don't feel patronized. FFS.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Another good controversial thread that is very thought provoking, the Stacey Dooley video particularly.

Personally think David Lammy is wrong for comments however good his sentiments might be. There are far bigger issues out there he should focus.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Good god. Of all the organisations across the globe he could be scrutinising and critical of , he picks Comic Relief. This modern world needs to get its ****ing priorities sorted out.

Also this.

The more I think about this the crosser I get.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I agree. The perception by many in the UK is that the EU wants to be a superstate, a United States of Europe. We've had 40-odd years of media suggesting the motives for this are sinister but the bottom line is the EU is not a country with one government, it is still ostensibly an economic body consisting of 28 separate nation states. To make a concerted effort to change the situation in North Africa is really almost a matter of foreign policy, and EU doesn't have a "Foreign Office".

With issues like this the federalist argument is strong, but other federalist aims - such as a European Army - are not so strong. I feel this is where the EU needs to start focusing its efforts, to establish some sort of humanitarian protocols that lead to political aims.

we could use the EU army to control the north African countries?

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Why can't it just be people helping people.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

It's all labels today. It's what works to keep people angry at each other and continue to divide us all up into tinier and tinier groups. White people helping kids in Africa is racist, Ariana Grande is getting a ton of shit for singing at the Pride event in Manchester because she's straight and it should only be LGBTQ people performing, the Brexit thread. If you go back over the last couple of years it's everywhere and super divisive.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Surprised no mention of Dambisa Moyo's book... Dead Aid: Why aid is not working and how there is another way for Africa... in this debate so far.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Surprised no mention of Dambisa Moyo's book... Dead Aid: Why aid is not working and how there is another way for Africa... in this debate so far.

can you summarise what is the other way?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
can you summarise what is the other way?

Can you not take the time to read and find out for yourself?

Alternatively, that video is short enough and gives a very brief outline.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
You really can’t win, Lenny Henry was previously accused of being an Uncle Tom now Miss Dooley is a white saviour.

Makes you wonder why celebs do it (other than for the publicity)...!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here