Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seaguls player

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do not have it but am considering buying it. What is the general opinion? Is it VFM? I want fans opinions not the clubs view as pobviously they will push it.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I only subscribed in March and for £37 a year I feel I get value for money just having the extended highlights and the interviews. If you want longer match highlights you can usually get these from another clubs player.

I never use it for commentary though which it does seem can be a problem.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
If you dont go to games its worth having.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Why do they remove the extended highlights from the site after a few weeks?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I only subscribed in March and for £37 a year I feel I get value for money just having the extended highlights and the interviews. If you want longer match highlights you can usually get these from another clubs player.

I never use it for commentary though which it does seem can be a problem.

I have used seagulls player for about 5 years. My usage and experience seems to be the same as Gazwag's - I don't use it for match commentary (when I have, it hasn't worked), but it is good for interviews and extended highlights.

I actually cancelled my subscription a few weeks ago, but as I had already paid the direct debit for the year I still have access for the rest of the season. I will decide next year whether it is worth renewing or not.

The clubs youtube channel does seem to undermine the need for seagulls player - a few years ago I would have said that seagulls player was essential for exiles. Now that goals are available through BBC iplayer all week and the interviews are put onto youtube by the club, the only extra bits that seagulls player offers is the 'extended' part of the highlights and the match commentary (which I don't tend to listen to).

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I have used seagulls player for about 5 years. My usage and experience seems to be the same as Gazwag's - I don't use it for match commentary (when I have, it hasn't worked), but it is good for interviews and extended highlights.

I actually cancelled my subscription a few weeks ago, but as I had already paid the direct debit for the year I still have access for the rest of the season. I will decide next year whether it is worth renewing or not.

The clubs youtube channel does seem to undermine the need for seagulls player - a few years ago I would have said that seagulls player was essential for exiles. Now that goals are available through BBC iplayer all week and the interviews are put onto youtube by the club, the only extra bits that seagulls player offers is the 'extended' part of the highlights and the match commentary (which I don't tend to listen to).

I have had it about 8 years or so
its is definitely second rate
but while I was in Wales it was my only connection to the going's on at the club, it has got better in the last few years but there is still a lot of room for improvement, it it does look like a lot of the problems are radio related and please do not get me started on the commentary we get on match days or don't get in some cases
having said all that it is worth having for the highlights and interviews and for someone who cannot get to matches it is essential
I have looked at the club youtube site but unfortunately most on there are shortened
so to sum up
interviews = good
highlights = very good
connection = pretty good
commentary = shite most times
is it worth having = yes ..............................8/10

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Good if you live outside of Sussex but not worth it otherwise in my opinion.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I have just let mine expire. I feel there is a lack of commitment to the platform and the content and yes whilst I agree it is useful, I would rather see it improved. Alternatively they could just rename it the Withdean player, it seems to be stuck in that era.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I attend lots of Saturday games but can't really do evening ones because of the distance and lectures on Tuesday afternoons, but player is invaluable for me - getting the match commentary and extended highlights for the games I've missed (and also those I haven't).

The ability to go back and watch the 3-0 win against Palace, Ulloa's hat-trick vs Huddersfield and the 6-1 demolition of Blackpool, etc, at any time is also excellent.

Depends what you want it for. If you live in Sussex you can get the commentary for free from the radio. And I think you can get some highlights on the BBC website.

For someone like me who lives outside of UK it's ideal even though I only use it for commentary and highlights. Well worth it for that

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
I have just let mine expire. I feel there is a lack of commitment to the platform and the content and yes whilst I agree it is useful, I would rather see it improved. Alternatively they could just rename it the Withdean player, it seems to be stuck in that era.

Seems to have been a load more videos of interviews going up recently? I use the Football League App on my phone rather than iplayer but the content is exactly the same I think. Had a look on the Bolton version on the app and all they had was short video clips of match highlights, no extended versions and zero video content of anything else. So comparing it to Bolton we are blessed!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
For anyone outside the Sussex Radio area. Otherwise I'm not sure if its really worth it.

Jbanged

Jan 16, 2013
Barcelona
I've had it for a couple of years, living abroad its definitely worth having. I mostly use if for commentary, which works fine for me. Occasionally it is disrupted, they turn it off for 30 seconds and it works fine for the rest of the match.

Dec 29, 2011
For anyone outside Sussex I'd say it represents good VFM as you can listen to all the games. If you can listen on the radio, probably not worth it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here