Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Knockaert

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
I think a large part of Knocky’s success in the Championship team was that he knew that he had sufficient skill to go past defenders. It has been demonstrated many times in the PL that he possesses insufficient skill to go past defenders at this level in the same way. To be fair, few attackers do - that’s why quick, slick passing between 5 or 6 players is usually required to break the defences down.

No amount of confidence building will turn him into Messi.

If Knocky is to play in our first team, he’ll have to learn how to be a genuine team player rather than a lone maverick (this is where Bruno may have helped), and to learn how to play differently - quick, one touch football - this is where Potter may help.

I hope he does learn, it’d be great to see him part of a movement that cuts a defence to shreds. However, the days of him soloing past 3 defenders are long gone* - unless we’re relegated of course.

* Selhurst aside...

I honestly think he has the ability to be exactly the kind of player he needs to be at this level, but he is going to have to learn VERY fast.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My concern is he'll be packed off to West Brom with Hughton

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Hughton won't be going to West Brom.

And it will be up to Potter to make the call on outgoings.

I can recall several players who left a club because of a manager (Strachan, Mata) and some who have trailed around the country in a manager's wake (Chippy, the other Bozza) but I can't think of any players who have begged to be transferred to a lower league club because the manager had become a surrogate father figure. So I can't really see AK initiating such a move.

Anyway, they can always Skype.

bhafcjack

Nov 3, 2018
Brighton
He clearly has the ability, but his problem is mindset. He's always got bags full of energy, determination and passion but when things are going it his way he disappears, moans and sometimes puts in a bad challenge. However on his game he is a game changer. The games that spring to my mind of the positives are both Man Utd wins and Palace away, however Everton away last season and Bournemouth at home this season are the bad ones. Like many have said on here, hopefully we see the Knocky of old.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Knockaert will start on the same level as every other member of the squad on day one of pre season under a new manager.

The training period and pre season friendlies will be an opportunity to stake a claim for being in the starting 11 for the opening game. During this period no doubt Potter will get to know which players need an arm around them and which ones need Parade Ground shouting to motivate them to get the best out of them.

From what I have read I have no doubt Potter will take the correct course with Knockaert to get the best out of him, the rest is then down to Knockaert himself.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
He clearly has the ability, but his problem is mindset. He's always got bags full of energy, determination and passion but when things are going it his way he disappears, moans and sometimes puts in a bad challenge. However on his game he is a game changer. The games that spring to my mind of the positives are both Man Utd wins and Palace away, however Everton away last season and Bournemouth at home this season are the bad ones. Like many have said on here, hopefully we see the Knocky of old.

All this talk about the importance of Bruno and Hughton....maybe this is actually a blessing. He's lost the security blanket of their support now. Everyone gets a clean slate, no favours, no room for attitudes. He needs to get his head down, work hard and listen to Potter. If he does he'll come good.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I think a large part of Knocky’s success in the Championship team was that he knew that he had sufficient skill to go past defenders. It has been demonstrated many times in the PL that he possesses insufficient skill to go past defenders at this level in the same way. To be fair, few attackers do - that’s why quick, slick passing between 5 or 6 players is usually required to break the defences down.

No amount of confidence building will turn him into Messi.

If Knocky is to play in our first team, he’ll have to learn how to be a genuine team player rather than a lone maverick (this is where Bruno may have helped), and to learn how to play differently - quick, one touch football - this is where Potter may help.

I hope he does learn, it’d be great to see him part of a movement that cuts a defence to shreds. However, the days of him soloing past 3 defenders are long gone* - unless we’re relegated of course.

* Selhurst aside...

So those days aren't long gone then are they. And I really don't see how you think of him as a lone maverick. He works as hard as any Brighton player, and with Bruno he was a part of one of the best partnerships within the team i've ever seen. I'm confident that Potter can coax more out of him than Hughton. No offence to Chris, but I think that relationship had soured a bit.

Jul 7, 2003
Knocky is a great Championship player but is after two seasons nobody without blue and white tinted glasses can say he has proved himself as a consistently good Premier League player. The occasional cameo does not make him a good Premier League player.

Over the two seasons you can count the number of good games he has had on two hands and probably still have some fingers to spare. He doesn't have the emotional intelligence to succeed at the top level.

He was fantastic for us in the Championship but we have moved on and he needs to be moved on.

bhafcjack

Nov 3, 2018
Brighton
Knocky is a great Championship player but is after two seasons nobody without blue and white tinted glasses can say he has proved himself as a consistently good Premier League player. The occasional cameo does not make him a good Premier League player.

Over the two seasons you can count the number of good games he has had on two hands and probably still have some fingers to spare. He doesn't have the emotional intelligence to succeed at the top level.

He was fantastic for us in the Championship but we have moved on and he needs to be moved on.

One more a chance under a new manager to try and prove him self? If he doesn't then I agree we should look to sell him after next season, or maybe even in January.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton

Started the season really well until he was dropped for Ali J and we went more defensive, somehow winning those 3 games on the spin. Finished the season well too, just a shame about the daft red card in the middle.

More goals and assists this season than March, Ali J and Izquierdo put together. Amazing that people think we should move him on rather than try and get the best out of him in a formation that will apparently suit the wingers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

This season he scored two Premier League goals and provided six assists; that means he was directly involved in 23% of the goals we scored. That contribution is more than just an "occasional cameo".

He certainly hasn't set the Premier League alight over the last two seasons, but which of our players have? He has certainly been a lot more influential than many on here are giving him credit for.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
This season he scored two Premier League goals and provided six assists; that means he was directly involved in 23% of the goals we scored. That contribution is more than just an "occasional cameo".

He certainly hasn't set the Premier League alight over the last two seasons, but which of our players have? He has certainly been a lot more influential than many on here are giving him credit for.

He also, along with the two Ds, consistently gives the most in terms of effort.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Quite right. Undoubtedly one of our better players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 7, 2003
He also, along with the two Ds, consistently gives the most in terms of effort.

Not the effort argument again. Much of what people seem to see as effort is completed wasted energy. Those unnecessary runs across the pitch to launch himself at a defender clearing the ball which he has no chance of closing down, followed by a long run back to get back into the position he should have been in originally are not effort - they show a lack of maturity and/or intelligence.

I hope you weren't one of the idiots who applauded him after he got himself needlessly sent off against Bournemouth.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here