Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Right then. After that demonstration... VAR? Yes or No?

VAR

• Total voters

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
It's sheer nonsense to suggest that any true football fan would happily accept their team losing points through incorrect decisions ...... just so long as they get the chance to jump up and down every now and then and wave their arms around like a Honey Monster in a bee farm.

Imagine if our goal at Hereford was in the time of VAR....
Imagine if Will Buckley's winner against Doncaster had to be checked by the referee first.

That 'jumping up and down' like a loon is the BEST BIT. I can't fathom how someone who attends live sport would want anything to detract from the truly amazing moment.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The telephoto lens lies: it makes things look closer together than they actually are.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Point of order!

Would need to be when there is fewer than two opposing players closer to the goal. Player is still offside if there's only one defender (and no goalkeeper) between the attacking player and the goal line.

On a more practical level, I'm not sure it really solves anything.

Are we foregoing video assistant refs for offsides? We're relying on the lino to judge when the ball is kicked, and where the player is at that moment. It's not really that different to trying to spot if the luminous yellow shirt is ahead of the blue one that we had before VAR. Then factor in the back and forth between forwards and defenders as they jockey, try to bend their runs, etc. the light changing frequently over the course of seconds.

Are we using video to judge close calls? We need to freeze frame the moment the ball is kicked, people are questioning the UHD, 50-60fps footage currently used, how is that addressed? You're still picking which frame is the one in which the player starts to play the ball. Why is that an issue now, bit not for your idea?

How do we have light up boots (which will require lights, and power) that can take a beating without damaging the lights, power or circuits, as they are constantly kicking the ball, and occasionally making contact with other boots, goal posts, that are light enough to wear and play football in, and continue to allow players to play the ball the way current boots do?

With such technology, people will be ruled offside for being a millimetre offside. Isn't such nitpickiness part of what people are turning on at the moment?

The idea is for it to assist the officials with marginal offsides, by giving them a "black and white" call to make. It may still need to go to a freeze-frame VAR to make the call, but if the boots are lit up at the moment the ball is played, then you accept that as indisputable proof that the player was beyond the last defender and therefore offside. No ambiguity, no arguing over which body parts are potentially offside. The sensor technology in the boots clearly indicates precisely when he moves beyond the line of defence. Its just a tool to help 'draw a line' and give a definitive answer.

As for the technology itself - no idea. As you say, it'll need to be robust and reliable. But its 2019. Shouldn't be beyond the boffins.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
No me neither. Spontaneity is what makes LIVE football. Isn’t it why we all go?
Otherwise I’ll just watch at home and save thousands of quid per year

There is a feeling us football fans who turn up are being mugged off. You can't 'half' celebrate a goal because it might be VAR-reviewed. As a cautious person I always glance over at the linesman before I go full batshit crazy, but after Trossard's disallowed effort I gave it the full gun - debut goal, 6 points from 6, doing the Hammers yet again etc.

Even now it feels like I watched a 2-1 victory. God help me if there are two of those in the same match.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Neither do I.

Are we really prepared to sacrifice the spontaneity of celebrating a goal, in favour of measuring every decision, every incident down to the last millimetre ? Of diminishing that "rush" you feel when the net bulges, because you know that its still got to be reviewed first, and someone in a studio miles away will be drawing lines across their screen to see if they can find a way of ruling it out ?

I can't believe people are actually happy to go along with this. Surely to god its only supposed to be used when there has been a clear and obvious mistake, something the officials missed, and where a team benefited as a direct result. Thats what its supposed to be for. Thats what we weer told. Not this.

The games gone.

If you take this to the extreme, imagine the moment the home team scores and the crowd are silent because - being familiar with the new rules - they know it is futile to celebrate until VAR says yes.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
To be fair it must be pretty hard to have one eye on the free kick and the other eye on the line. No one else noticed it at the time, not even from the stands.

My only question would be is; if Burn passed to another player, who then played it to Trossard to score. How far back do they go?

Agreed but mad I understand it because burn got to the ball after and crossed it he interfered with the play gaining an advantage
Lino’s have been dealing with that for years and on the whole got them right still would like to think he should of got that one , but as I said I think the standard is going to drop knowing they have a back up .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If you take this to the extreme, imagine the moment the home team scores and the crowd are silent because - being familiar with the new rules - they know it is futile to celebrate until VAR says yes.

"Oh look, there's a chance we may have scored a goal here"
"Wouldn't that be brilliant ? Really hope this one is given"
"Lets hope so"

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
"Lets hope so"

"Unbelievable, back to you Jeff"
"Thanks Kammy for that update from Vicarage Road. Now we cross over to The Amex and Rob Dorset. Rob, I believe it's all action there?"
"That's right Jeff. Brighton have applied for a goal. The ball has been manoeuvred beyond the goal line and we now await the response from VAR to see if this is a successful application for a goal".

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
"Unbelievable, back to you Jeff"
"Thanks Kammy for that update from Vicarage Road. Now we cross over to The Amex and Rob Dorset. Rob, I believe it's all action there?"
"That's right Jeff. Brighton have applied for a goal. The ball has been manoeuvred beyond the goal line and we now await the response from VAR to see if this is a successful application for a goal".

…"Let's go and have a cup of tea while we're waiting..."

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
There is a feeling us football fans who turn up are being mugged off. You can't 'half' celebrate a goal because it might be VAR-reviewed. As a cautious person I always glance over at the linesman before I go full batshit crazy, but after Trossard's disallowed effort I gave it the full gun - debut goal, 6 points from 6, doing the Hammers yet again etc.

Even now it feels like I watched a 2-1 victory. God help me if there are two of those in the same match.

I told myself before the game, be careful on the celebrations, because of VAR.
But after a couple of beers, I just plain forgot and jumped about as usual. Silly me.

The second goal a couple of mates went mad, and all I could think of was, could I remember in the build up, if there was anything that could have been a potential issue.

And until WH kicked off, I still had that nagging doubt......
Something has to change

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
"Lets hope so"

Absolutely this. Whilst now a bit old hat and with its best days behind is maybe Soccer AM need to do a sketch along these lines to just get it out there as to just how bad the current application of VAR is.

As dramatic as it may sound I'm nervous about next week's game as that ecstasy when you score might just never be the same again.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
E G

Andone’s goal at home to Palace. Utter joy.

But now.

Did he foul Tomkins in the build up? Was the ball out for a throw in? Did the ball go out for a goal kick? Was there any fouls by our players before it was hoofed upfield?

Just as Palace are about to kick off the referee has his finger in his ear........

Imagine your feelings at that precise moment.

Live football will die for me unless something is changed

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Agreed but mad I understand it because burn got to the ball after and crossed it he interfered with the play gaining an advantage
Lino’s have been dealing with that for years and on the whole got them right still would like to think he should of got that one , but as I said I think the standard is going to drop knowing they have a back up .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep maybe it will but they were always criticised anyway. The standard still has to be good in the lower leagues and officials only get promoted to officiating in the Prem based on good performance. I'm sure that not flagging for the obvious off sides wont help their careers.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
If you're actually ok with that, then we are never going to agree. It is the utter anathema of what going to a live football match means for me. If you want background nerds drawing lines to decide goals by millimetres, and putting goals on hold, then hey. Welcome to your VAR.

I think its shit.

No, we are not. But don't ever criticise a refereeing/lino decision. They have to make decisions in split seconds with imperfect knowledge and will continue to do so; VAR offers a check against that imperfection. As other posters on this thread have pointed out, you can't have it both ways.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

Yes, but think of the buzz WH fans got when they saw ref heading for penalty area making rectangle sign. Looking forward to our first one of those.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I'm seriously surprised that as it stands, 112 people are actually in favour of VAR on the poll.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Yes, but think of the buzz WH fans got when they saw ref heading for penalty area making rectangle sign. Looking forward to our first one of those.

I might have jumped around and gone mental when the opposition have had a goal chalked off but I'm struggling to think of when. The feeling of relief is in no way comparable on the scale to the one of joy when you're team goes 1-0 up.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here