Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The Speaker of the House has to have a big personality. Personally, I like him, especially when he puts down pompous MPs, who try to have a go at his wife.

Betty Boothroyd was never afraid to speak her mind and still does. I wish we had a lot more politicians like her.
https://www.newstatesman.com/politi...n-t-be-prime-minister-dear-he-ain-t-going-win

She was a class above Bercow, as was Bernie Wetherill, but Bercow is better than the last one, whose name I cant recall.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Not fair or true at all.

Not everybody who voted to Leave was thick. Some were, for sure, just as some were simply bigots or racists. Others were taking a blind swing at the status quo, with little thought or understanding of the real issues. The fact that so many didn't properly understand though is more a failing of those who failed to properly present the case for staying, and those who willfully spread misinformation, than a true reflection on the intelligence of the voters.

So, I'll not have it that all Leave voters were thick.

However, those who STILL now, think it is a good idea - well yes - absolute morons.

Yes, quite right. Well put.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
He is definitely a man with an ego he likes to have regularly stroked, I too find his persona a bit unpleasant, but his actions have not in any way affronted democracy.

I don't disagree with your character analysis, but believe pot shots at his personality are generally an irrelevant distraction from the debate about the wisdom and probity of his actions.
Otherwise, I think there is much that could be said about the personality (rather than politics) of Farage, for instance.......

theonlymikey

Apr 21, 2016
However it's broken down, it's still an obscene amount of money to be handing over.

No attempt to retract your untruth though. This is why we are in this mess. The need for apparent accountability from people in charge when the man on the street won't even take accountability for his own lies.

The budget shows the annual budget is less than one third of how much you think we pay for "lavish lifestyles". Showing at 1.95Bn EUROS

And that figure be split between all net contributors.

AND it covers 7000 staff including civil servants.

Please, just tell the truth.

D

Deleted member 22389

No attempt to retract your untruth though. This is why we are in this mess. The need for apparent accountability from people in charge when the man on the street won't even take accountability for his own lies.

The budget shows the annual budget is less than one third of how much you think we pay for "lavish lifestyles". Showing at 1.95Bn EUROS

And that figure be split between all net contributors.

AND it covers 7000 staff including civil servants.

Please, just tell the truth.

So how much do we send the EU every year then?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I (with regret) agree with most of the points especially the final one and the use of the word 'bribe'. For me a no deal Brexit + a Johnson government returned by the electorate will be a low point in British political history of almost unimaginable stupidity and crassness,

Definitely a sub-optimal outcome but failing to deliver on democratic mandate promises (the result of the referendum will be enacted) and 2017 manifesto commitments (the result of the referendum will be enacted) has consequences, seeking to ignore democratic results people don't like has consequences, having a patronising contempt for people with a different political view (gullible, thicky racists etc) has consequences, blaming the leave voting electorate for the failings of politicians to deliver on their promises has consequences. Trust in politicians and our democratic system is probably at an all-time low which is why rewarding our politician's incompetence by doing exactly what most of them wanted all along (Remain) would also be a 'low point in British political history of almost unimaginable stupidity and crassness' plus it would fatally undermine our democracy in my view.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

theonlymikey

Apr 21, 2016
So how much do we send the EU every year then?

No, no. No conflation here please.

The amount we send to the EU and the amount the EU spends of UK's money on "Lavish Lifestyles" are separate things.

Admit you lied about what our proceeds go towards and perhaps we can have an honest conversation.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
He makes it up as he goes along.

Britain has more civil servants than the whole of the EU.

As for lavish lifestyles, look no further than the Brexit company taking their wages and doing absolutely nothing.
UK Civil Servants: 430,075

EU Staff: 55,000

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 22389

No, no. No conflation here please.

The amount we send to the EU and the amount the EU spends of UK's money on "Lavish Lifestyles" are separate things.

Admit you lied about what our proceeds go towards and perhaps we can have an honest conversation.

I said we sent 6bn, so what is the real figure for 2018 after our rebate.

theonlymikey

Apr 21, 2016
I said we sent 6bn, so what is the real figure for 2018 after our rebate.

No, you actually said:

Project Reality, 6bn every year gone in a puff of smoke, helping to fund the lavish lifestyles of those EU beareaucrats.

You implied by including them in the same breath that we somehow pay £6bn towards “lavish lifestyles”. This is a lie. It’s been shown to be a lie. Now admit you lied?

As it turns out, you can’t even lie correctly.

“The UK pays more into the EU budget than it gets back.

In 2018 the UK government paid £13 billion to the EU budget, and EU spending on the UK was forecast to be £4 billion. So the UK’s ‘net contribution’ was estimated at nearly £9 billion.

Each year the UK gets a discount on its contributions to the EU—the ‘rebate’—worth about £4 billion last year. Without it the UK would have been liable for £17 billion in contributions.”

https://fullfact.org/europe/our-eu-membership-fee-55-million/

Now lets do some totting up shall we?

A £39Bn non negotiable bill for leaving. This is for existing commitments.

£40Bn wiped off the economy so far as a result of reduced foreign investment over Brexit uncertainty before we even left.

Predicted further £40Bn wiped off UK GDP after we have left.

This is before the 1 in 3 chance of a recession. Which by the way, is significantly more likely since the US trade war and Germany downturn.

Oh and lets not forget that a proportion of the EU staff, civil servants and MEP’s are British. I would imagine tax income will reduce as a result also.

Was the £9Bn really worth it?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
No, you actually said:

You implied by including them in the same breath that we somehow pay £6bn towards “lavish lifestyles”. This is a lie. It’s been shown to be a lie. Now admit you lied?

As it turns out, you can’t even lie correctly.

“The UK pays more into the EU budget than it gets back.

In 2018 the UK government paid £13 billion to the EU budget, and EU spending on the UK was forecast to be £4 billion. So the UK’s ‘net contribution’ was estimated at nearly £9 billion.

Each year the UK gets a discount on its contributions to the EU—the ‘rebate’—worth about £4 billion last year. Without it the UK would have been liable for £17 billion in contributions.”

https://fullfact.org/europe/our-eu-membership-fee-55-million/

Now lets do some totting up shall we?

A £39Bn non negotiable bill for leaving. This is for existing commitments.

£40Bn wiped off the economy so far as a result of reduced foreign investment over Brexit uncertainty before we even left.

Predicted further £40Bn wiped off UK GDP after we have left.

This is before the 1 in 3 chance of a recession. Which by the way, is significantly more likely since the US trade war and Germany downturn.

Oh and lets not forget that a proportion of the EU staff, civil servants and MEP’s are British. I would imagine tax income will reduce as a result also.

Was the £9Bn really worth it?

Owned.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here