Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Boris Johnson, the new UK Prime Minister

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I thought it was a great speech. Most optimistic I’ve heard a PM since Blair. If he achieves half of what he said he will have done very very well and still would have been much better than all PMs since Thatcher.

I reckon about 10% of what he has said is actually attainable, mostly by reversing Tory government policies from the last 10 years !

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Guy Verhofstadt MEP - Brexit Coordinator for the European Parliament - says they want "an orderly Brexit".
"Politicised language from the Conservative leadership raising the spectre of a no- deal Brexit is unhelpful, irresponsible and only increases the risks of a catastrophic severance, which could destabilise the global economy," he says.
He adds that he looks "forward to alleviating Mr Johnson’s concerns regarding the imminent accession of Turkey to the EU, following the claims of the Leave campaign, whilst explaining the EU has no rules on the packaging of kippers in the UK.

Why do I think there is going to be a lot of 'explaining in simple terms' to Johnson :lolol:

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I thought it was a great speech. Most optimistic I’ve heard a PM since Blair. If he achieves half of what he said he will have done very very well and still would have been much better than all PMs since Thatcher.

Handily forgetting everything Boris has ever done in his career then?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Why do I think there is going to be a lot of 'explaining in simple terms' to Johnson :lolol:

I actually don't think that's the case. I don't think he understands or tries to understand anything - A bit like the ones in class at school. They don't need to listen or learn. They just get someone else to do their homework for them and ''Blagg it '' from then on

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Like any new government I’m interested in what they can do now, rather than what the various cabinet members have said or done previously.

There’s such a small majority, I’m not expecting them to do much - but I’d hope they can be more effective than the May administration.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So. The EU won’t budge. Parliament won’t allow no deal. How will he take you out of the EU on 31.10?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
well, I suppose that as the last lot failed to get the ruddy brexit mess sorted there’s not much point in clinging onto them. New broom and all that ?

Lots of divisions in the previous Cabinet, Boris looks like he is clearing almost EVERYONE out ! so much for Compromise and Negotiation !

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Nobody would ever be appointed if you just looked back at failures.I for one am pleased we have a PM who is not dull and has a personality. With Brexit,it is most difficult time for any government. If he can pull that off he is away

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
So. The EU won’t budge. Parliament won’t allow no deal. How will he take you out of the EU on 31.10?

Bring the deal back a 4th time, put on a posh Etonian accent, try and claim you changed something when you've changed nothing and believe.

Either that or throw NI under a bus, call an election and hope English exceptionalism will carry you through

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The slaughter continues.... Hunt gone, sounds like he was offered something but decided to go back to backbenches...….. going to be a lot of axes being ground there.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
From what I gather Labour are being quite cute. They support a referendum and will be a remain party is what I gathered from this afternoon’s comments. Shame about Corbyn as I reckon they’d be on a sure fire winner if a General Election was called. My gut feeling is that a referendum would end up with a remain vote. I know I will be rightly flamed as we are a democracy and should definitely leave but no way should it be a no deal Brexit so remain would be the better option. :shrug:

Maybe I have misinterpreted what I have been hearing, happy to be corrected.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

By trickery. He gets the EU to rebrand itself as the EU27 + The UK.

We will still be in the EU but all the people who believe in Boris will again just accept his lies.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Held my interest throughout even if my jaw was on the floor that he expects us to believe he can deliver so much. He is way more eloquent and interesting to listen to than any new PM’s I can remember recently.

Biggest fail was the threat to withhold the 39 billion if he didn’t get a deal, that ****s any chance of Europe being accommodating in his negotiations imo. A threat like that should have been a last resort not tossed in before he even starts.

Yes was very surprised at the £39bn quote as it will be very difficult to spin that one if he fails. In fact much of what he promised will be difficult to spin if it fails as there weren't any grey areas, it was all black and white.

He's got balls I’ll give him that!

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I for one am pleased we have a PM who is not dull and has a personality.

If i'm seeing a comedian, I want them to not be dull and have a personality. If someone is running the country, i'd rather them not be a useless, clueless, racist, philandering bigot.

Horses for courses, I guess.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
With Raab and Priti Patel, this is now the most right wing cabinet since the 80s. Huge gamble.

Not forgetting Cummings, who has been previously found in contempt of the HoC and heavily involved with the Brexit Party.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I can believe that you've probably lost interest in it now, but since you were so quick to use your moderator rights to happily update the title of someone else's thread with a leaving date the moment TM announced it, I just thought you would have taken responsibility for the outcome of your actions and ensure the thread title was changed each time the leaving date was changed :shrug:

Would you like it changed then? 23:00 31st October 2019 ?

I'm sure a friendly mod will oblige.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here