Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] British steel

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Still might be a rescue possible if we leave soon,and no longer stick to EU regulations on industrial financial subsidies.As long as the furnaces are kept running,there's still hope.If we had ignored the climate change induced regulations, like the Germans do with their coal-fired power stations,it might have gone better.

:dunce::dunce::dunce::dunce::dunce::dunce::dunce::dunce:

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
I work at British Steel, Scunthorpe. This is my locker. 2019-05-22 (2).png

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
It will be interesting to see how this region votes tomorrow in the Euro elections on the back of the comments from British Steel about Brexit. I suspect it will be another 68% vote for the leave parties, mainly for The Brexit Party. The only saving grace is when they do lose their jobs there will be plenty of work picking fruit and veg in nearby Boston as the EU workers are leaving in droves.

It's a bloody long way from Scunthorpe to Boston !

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
It will be interesting to see how this region votes tomorrow in the Euro elections on the back of the comments from British Steel about Brexit. I suspect it will be another 68% vote for the leave parties, mainly for The Brexit Party. The only saving grace is when they do lose their jobs there will be plenty of work picking fruit and veg in nearby Boston as the EU workers are leaving in droves.

Tosh, so it wasn't anything to do with cheaper imports then. Just blame Brexit to match your agenda

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
The export of steel is one of the major commodities along with oil, gas, cars, minerals etc.
When we do leave this is another export deal we cannot do, in fact it probably means we are going to import a hell of a lot more steel.
Maybe we can do a deal though, you send us your steel and we will send you our....er....um.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Im sure ****wit leavers will point to a 'positive'

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
I’m sorry that you’ve been let down by senior management.

Dunno about that yet. They have constantly stated the delaying of a Brexit decision has created the uncertainty in the market. When the government said the delay until the next Brexit decision was going to be so long as it is we knew we would struggle as there had been big cutbacks in place a while now with the previous delay. The thing is all those that voted out never realised it would take 3 years before anything happened. Don't really know who is to blame but seems to me its Greybull. Scunthorpe has made profit each of the 3 years since taking over from Tata. From what I see is Greybull bought us for £1 yet have been taking millions out each year. Buying for a single pound and taking profits seems like something some very bad owners did to a football club I know back in the 90s. I don't know tbh and don't really care. We are where we are. We have also been told we will continue to be paid and keep all our terms and conditions ie holidays, pensions etc until a buyer or nationalization takes place, Nationalization is looking unlikely atm. But rumours are 3 businesses are interested in buying us out. Tata, Liberty or some Spanish company I don't know the name of. Tata sold us last time due to issues with pensions and other stuff. These issues have been sorted now from what I hear. So the company is sort of how they wanted it in the 1st place.

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
Dunno about that yet. They have constantly stated the delaying of a Brexit decision has created the uncertainty in the market. When the government said the delay until the next Brexit decision was going to be so long as it is we knew we would struggle as there had been big cutbacks in place a while now with the previous delay. The thing is all those that voted out never realised it would take 3 years before anything happened. Don't really know who is to blame but seems to me its Greybull. Scunthorpe has made profit each of the 3 years since taking over from Tata. From what I see is Greybull bought us for £1 yet have been taking millions out each year. Buying for a single pound and taking profits seems like something some very bad owners did to a football club I know back in the 90s. I don't know tbh and don't really care. We are where we are. We have also been told we will continue to be paid and keep all our terms and conditions ie holidays, pensions etc until a buyer or nationalization takes place, Nationalization is looking unlikely atm. But rumours are 3 businesses are interested in buying us out. Tata, Liberty or some Spanish company I don't know the name of. Tata sold us last time due to issues with pensions and other stuff. These issues have been sorted now from what I hear. So the company is sort of how they wanted it in the 1st place.

I worked in the treasury on Brigg road, senior management have much much of a blame than you think. Greybull haven’t taken a penny, only accrued the charges. Media’s not too reliable on the reporting.

PM me if you want to discuss it in a little more details and I’ll mention a few names you may recognise. Paul M***** has a lot to answer for before he ‘retired’.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
The moment Greybull became the marginal buyers you know the business is in deep trouble. Corus sold it for a reason.....

The issue here is not whether the business is profitable, it’s whether it generates cash. And from what I can gather, forward selling carbon credits was a short term sticking plaster.

Companies live or die by cash flow. There are many different ways of defining “profit” but only one bottom line cash flow number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
I worked in the treasury on Brigg road, senior management have much much of a blame than you think. Greybull haven’t taken a penny, only accrued the charges. Media’s not too reliable on the reporting.

PM me if you want to discuss it in a little more details and I’ll mention a few names you may recognise. Paul M***** has a lot to answer for before he ‘retired’.
Tbh there ain't really anything can be done from my level. Am only an electrician. Am also quite lucky that I don't live in Scunthorpe where it will pinch the hardest. I know the knock on effect will spread to Doncaster and to a degree the rest of the UK. Also I have only been here 2 and a half years only since this January on the books. I should be able to drop back into contracting though I did close my limited company when I started here. The 3 buyers I previously mentioned don't sound as interested as we were led to believe. Liberty are only interested in the rod mill from what I gather. For now though we are still carrying on business as usual and keeping fingers cross on a new backer.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here