Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Virgil van Dijk for £3 Million! (and why we didn't sign him)

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Gus has revealed a lot of shit in his time

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Then it matters not because we couldn’t afford Messi either!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
3m EUROS, not pounds.

We made a couple of bids. Highest was £2m, I think.

He went to Celtic a few months later for around £2.6m.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Gus has revealed a lot of shit in his time

One thing he could do was spot a talented player. Absolute shit at spotting forwards though

He attracted players that were totally out of our league and although he was an egostistical **** who irritated the **** out of me with his touting at every opportunity you won’t hear me say a bad word about his ability to talk players into coming to the Albion

I think the alleged refusal of the board to sign Van Dijk hurried along his desire to leave too

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I remember this . File alongside Roy Keane and Ian wright.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Gary Dicker on Albion Unlimited podcast this week said Virgil "turned us down" - which is more in line with my recollection of it. Both us and Celtic had bids accepted, didn't we?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
All very pointless as he only ever would have played in defense, anyway...

...oh.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Gary Dicker on Albion Unlimited podcast this week said Virgil "turned us down" - which is more in line with my recollection of it. Both us and Celtic had bids accepted, didn't we?

Probably on wages. Celtic would've offered higher wages.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He had a choice of either a newly promoted 2nd division club, or a spell in the MTL along with Champions League football to boot. he was always going to go north, whatever they offered will have blown us out of the water at the time.

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove

That's how I remember it too (but my memory isn't great). I thought at the time both we and Celtic were going for him and that we actually stood little chance of getting him, with Celtic being a far more attractive proposition

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He had a choice of either a newly promoted 2nd division club, or a spell in the MTL along with Champions League football to boot. he was always going to go north, whatever they offered will have blown us out of the water at the time.

Exactamondo.

I believe in that particular Champions League group Celtic had Juve, Barca and Ajax.

Not a bad place to advertise your wares.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
This type of "with the benefit of hindsight" story really grips my sh1t, no we didn't bid any more because at the time we were fighting for our financial lives.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
There is ZERO evidence to suggest that Poyet discovered Van Dijk is there?

He didn’t discover Bridge or Vicente either but he talked them into coming here. Although it all blew up in our faces he also managed to convince CMS to join the “small club” when much bigger clubs wanted him.

He knew a good player when he saw one and the fact that he was happy to promote young players to the first team and instill believe in the helped us enormously in our rise

Do you think we’d have got them regardless of who our manager was?

I’m no Poyet apologist and was delighted when he was shown the door after the way he treated the club, but that doesn’t take away that he was very good at many aspects of managing us.

His press conferences were a “must watch” too :smile:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
He didn’t discover Bridge or Vicente either but he talked them into coming here. Although it all blew up in our faces he also managed to convince CMS to join the “small club” when much bigger clubs wanted him.

He knew a good player when he saw one and the fact that he was happy to promote young players to the first team and instill believe in the helped us enormously in our rise

Do you think we’d have got them regardless of who our manager was?

I’m no Poyet apologist and was delighted when he was shown the door after the way he treated the club, but that doesn’t take away that he was very good at many aspects of managing us.

You said "One thing he could do was spot a talented player" in a thread about van Dijk.

I'm merely pointing out that Poyet would not have been the one who discovered him.

Poyet's ability to attract/land players is a different matter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here