Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Alex Scott @ Sky Sports.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Sorry I don’t agree at all.

Wenger played at a lower level and Mourinho did not just step into a managerial job, he learnt under Robson for one.

I firmly believe that you have played/coached to a level to appreciate what is trying to be achieved. You wouldn’t get a car mechanic undertaking surgery.

As you say it doesn’t stop everyone having an opinion, which is the best thing about football and NSC, but equally you are more likely to learn something from an ex-pro, than you are from some of the NSC posters.

The Dale Stephens debate being a prime example.

Computer games don’t help either.... [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The point was that you don't have to have a playing career at the top levels to go on to become a successful manager. I'd wager the same applies to punditry. It's studying the game. We all do that. Whether we'd be good pundits is debatable of course.

It's not just football the idea applies to. I work in IT, have done for ten years or so now but I'm not anywhere near the level of the guys at Google or Boston Robotics or the like. I can still present at a local user group because what I do know I really know.

I refuse to buy that you have to be at the top of your profession to be taken seriously.

EDIT: And the car mechanic / surgeon thing is just dumb. Of course you wouldn't. They're entirely different fields.

EDIT THE SECOND: Are you trying to tell me that my quadruple with Brighton on Football Manager isn't an achievement? How very dare you! :laugh:

Last edited:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Alex Scott is ok, personally I thought Eni Aluko was the better pundit when they came on the scene at the World Cup.

They're certainly no worse than some of the men. IMHO nobody should get a free pass in the media just because they were good on the pitch, Shearer is a good example of this - brilliant player but crap manager and crap lazy pundit.

This is all very subjective anyway, people always disagree about pundits. Personally I always like listening to Souness but I accept that others dislike him. People should be allowed to dislike Alex Scott.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The point was that you don't have to have a playing career at the top levels to go on to become a successful manager. I'd wager the same applies to punditry. It's studying the game. We all do that. Whether we'd be good pundits is debatable of course.

It's not just football the idea applies to. I work in IT, have done for ten years or so now but I'm not anywhere near the level of the guys at Google or Boston Robotics or the like. I can still present at a local user group because what I do know I really know.

I refuse to buy that you have to be at the top of your profession to be taken seriously.

EDIT: And the car mechanic / surgeon thing is just dumb. Of course you wouldn't. They're entirely different fields.

EDIT THE SECOND: Are you trying to tell me that my quadruple with Brighton on Football Manager isn't an achievement? How very dare you! :laugh:

Definitely disagree then..... :)

Do you think the Google technicians/Boston would take your opinion on board at a meeting?
You can present to a local group who don't know any better (i.e. NSC in footballing terms), but isn't it effectively the 'blind leading the blind' (in the nicest possible way), and the type of discussion you would have with a pro or someone who has coached to a similar level, is completely different to the discussion you would have on here....

As I say, I've no issue with Alex Scott and enjoy her views as much as any of them, but generally they are all at a pretty basic level, and they are all practiced in stating the obvious.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Definitely disagree then..... :)

Do you think the Google technicians/Boston would take your opinion on board at a meeting?
You can present to a local group who don't know any better (i.e. NSC in footballing terms), but isn't it effectively the 'blind leading the blind' (in the nicest possible way), and the type of discussion you would have with a pro or someone who has coached to a similar level, is completely different to the discussion you would have on here....

As I say, I've no issue with Alex Scott and enjoy her views as much as any of them, but generally they are all at a pretty basic level, and they are all practiced in stating the obvious.

Maybe the user group example wasn't my best work; generally speaking anyone there will be sufficiently versed to know what you're talking about. I could present to Google but, yeah, it wouldn't be anything ground breaking to them :D

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I watch this woman commentating on matches after the fact in the studio, and I just know I'm not the only person who thinks she's a gobshiite.

Graeme Souness sits and grimaces as she tells him how it is, as she is given an equal billing. To top it all, she's all plastic self-aggrandising mockney to boot, dropping her 'aitches and sounding like Janis Street-Porter on Skunk.
And what is all this faux Mockney 'ard-man-out-of-Essex' boilocks.....seems like its de rigueur now, with even those well-known sick-note 'ard geezers like Jaimie Redknapp, Glen 'Oddle, and CH himself giving it all the Blind Beggar chat.

I think I blame that old 'responsible gambler' Ray Winston myself.:shootself

...and still better than anyone on BBC.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Alex Scott is ok, personally I thought Eni Aluko was the better pundit when they came on the scene at the World Cup.

Aluko was superb; she'd obviously done her homework on all the teams she was scrutinising and knew about their players, results and systems. Shearer's approach "We don't anything about x... (and I can't be bothered to find out anything, I have a golf match with Gary later, don't you know?)"

I wondered whether we don't see much of Aluko any more is because she showed the other pundits up.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Alex Scott is intelligent and articulate, speaks very well, and is very, very easy on the eye. So in those terms, she ticks all TV punditry the boxes. Is she "qualified" to be in a World Cup or Premier League studio, on national television each week passing comment on our national sport, being as she spent her entire career playing in front of 3 men and a dog ? Debatable.

Personally, I would MUCH prefer to see a selection of our best sports writers in the studio doing some punditry. The likes of Henry Winter, Martin Samuel, Oliver Kay or Brian Glanville would have FAR more interesting opinions and analysis to impart than the likes of Alex Scott, or indeed any other number of ex-players they drag in. You might not always agree with them, but they've spent their careers articulating and presenting their opinions on the game.

Alex ticks a lot of PC boxes though, I suppose.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
I wondered whether we don't see much of Aluko any more is because she showed the other pundits up.

Maybe, but she is also still playing football at Juventus so is probably too busy. I hope she'll be one of the pundits this summer at the World Cup though!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Alex Scott is intelligent and articulate, speaks very well, and is very, very easy on the eye. So in those terms, she ticks all TV punditry the boxes. Is she "qualified" to be in a World Cup or Premier League studio, on national television each week passing comment on our national sport, being as she spent her entire career playing in front of 3 men and a dog ? Debatable.

Personally, I would MUCH prefer to see a selection of our best sports writers in the studio doing some punditry. The likes of Henry Winter, Martin Samuel, Oliver Kay or Brian Glanville would have FAR more interesting opinions and analysis to impart than the likes of Alex Scott, or indeed any other number of ex-players they drag in. You might not always agree with them, but they've spent their careers articulating and presenting their opinions on the game.

Very well said.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Maybe, but she is also still playing football at Juventus so is probably too busy. I hope she'll be one of the pundits this summer at the World Cup though!

Yeah, after I typed it I remembered that she was playing abroad now ... couldn't remember where though and CBA to looked it up.

I hope she's back for the WC too - she was excellent

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I agree with your thoughts on writers over ex-pros. I said similar in an earlier post. They might not have played the game but they have had access to those who have, and crucially have the ability to extract insight from players and convey it to the public. They can probe and find things that many a player alone would not even consider let alone be able to articulate.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
If they drop Alex Scott then they bring Sue Smith in instead.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Earned the right playing at a rubbish level of football. Not the same as being very good. Let's have some equality here.

What's more important - having played at the 'highest level', or being able to articulate and present sensible views and opinions on a game ? Quite a rare combination. There are dozens that have played at the highest level that are utterly useless. Scott at least has played at the highest level of the women's game and is reasonably articulate (and improving). Only issue I have is that she seems to be on all the time - probably because there are so few other female pundits that can talk the talk. Give me her over Owen, McManaman and several others others any day though.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

I'm not sure Brian Glanville would be up to it any more as he's over 80, but he certainly wouldn't hold back on his opinions. Or his language, which might be a problem. He can be a bit unguarded at times.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

The press boys already are able to impart their opinions through their writing, as well as regularly appearing on radio and Sky, so do have a fair crack of the whip already.

I'm not arsed about most pundits, although Roy Keane is great entertainment when he's in a mood. Alan Green is a **** though.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
The press boys already are able to impart their opinions through their writing, as well as regularly appearing on radio and Sky, so do have a fair crack of the whip already.

I'm not arsed about most pundits, although Roy Keane is great entertainment when he's in a mood. Alan Green is a **** though.

Amen to that sir. :salute:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here