Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] DFS and The Goldstone Retail Park

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Spent years avoiding it. The first time I took a drive round it I was ok until I got to the chapel where I used to get a programme and a gulls eye and look round the corner to see how full the North Stand was.

Anyway, now things are all rosy I have no problem with it, even been in a couple of the shops.

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
I have never been back since the day I left the ground with a wet piece of turf in my coat pocket and do not ever intend to set foot in the retail park.

I've only ever driven past twice and much to the amusement of my passenger/s on both occasions, steadfastly fixed my eyes on the road ahead, so that in my minds eye, The Goldstone Ground was still there.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Refused to drive past it, even. After the pre season opener, the first Amex game, Falmer at last, I went back to pay my respects. A quick stroll, then away, never to return. Archer is dead. Bellendotti was ****ed years ago. Revenge is sweet.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have never been to a Nando's either

I don't actually know what Nandos is. Honestly. At a guess.....Spanish food?

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
As a 'youngster' I get why it's boycotted but we have the Amex and we are the 13th best team in the country currently and the 29th richest club in the world. There really is no reason to not go there anymore. Don't dwell on the past. It's happened. We are where we are. Live in the now. Unless you're not a fan of the shops there anyway then fair enough.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Makes you wonder. People are entitled to their opinions but surely the memory of all the great players that graced the Goldstone turf are being overlooked. Yes, it's a retail park but had things progressed slightly differently, we would still have left the Goldstone and it would still be a retail park or maybe a block of flats. Archer and Bellotti were massive blots on the history but they shouldn't detract from what went on before.

Telboy

Who Are You
Jul 6, 2003
WSU
Why is that Archer and Ballotti get all the shit, rightly so, but Greg Stanley seems to get away without a mention. Surely he was the main culprit.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Spent years avoiding it. The first time I took a drive round it I was ok until I got to the chapel where I used to get a programme and a gulls eye and look round the corner to see how full the North Stand was.

Anyway, now things are all rosy I have no problem with it, even been in a couple of the shops.

I have been to the place after boycotting for years but very few times. A desperate christmas was the first time at Toys R Us. However I havent gone back to that corner, that Is where I always bought a programme from a freind of mine I played Badminton with before heading to the East Terrace.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Why is that Archer and Ballotti get all the shit, rightly so, but Greg Stanley seems to get away without a mention. Surely he was the main culprit.

I've met Stanley about five years after they had left. Had a 30 minute conversation, all very civil and he didn't shy away from any questions. He said he regretted ever being involved and that it had caused him to view the whole situation very differently and that he had suffered mental health issues over it.

He didn't get my sympathy from me I hasten to add.

I assume along with Archer he's still stealing oxygen from the good people.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I've never been there. Never will. Never use any other branches of the stores that are there.

I have managed to walk and drive alone the Old Shoreham Road, but only in the past couple of years.

Prior to that I had the manager at kwik fit screaming at me one time, for driving Out the In door, because I told him I wasn't able to use Old Shoreham Road.

Pathetic? Maybe, but as it says below....

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Never been past the Goldstone site since the Doncaster game. Never crossed threshold of DFS, ToysRUs, Focus or PetWorld. Stay strong!

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

Stanley was a genial mental pisshead, as I found out one evening at his club near Angmering. Spent whole evening out of his brains, singing loudly out of tune and taking his trousers down in the middle of his restaurant - a total embarrassment. Remember Doncaster away? To be honest I really don’t think that he had anything between the ears and wouldn’t need much manipulation by two weasels of the standing of Archer and Bellotti to go along with their plans. I am not defending him in the slightest but find it strange that someone so apparently a fan, which I firmly think he was, could change into the pariah that he became.
Stuff the lot of them.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
As a 'youngster' I get why it's boycotted but we have the Amex and we are the 13th best team in the country currently and the 29th richest club in the world. There really is no reason to not go there anymore. Don't dwell on the past. It's happened. We are where we are. Live in the now. Unless you're not a fan of the shops there anyway then fair enough.

I have some sympathy with your view, but remembering what went on before makes our current status all the more remarkable.

I just googled and found this from the Guardian, an article from the Guardian from 2013 written by Amy Lawrence, who seems to have been there for the last match at the Goldstone, and followed all the main events through. I'd not seen it before.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/jan/25/brighton-dreamers-miracle-fa-cup

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
I have some sympathy with your view, but remembering what went on before makes our current status all the more remarkable.

I just googled and found this from the Guardian, an article from the Guardian from 2013 written by Amy Lawrence, who seems to have been there for the last match at the Goldstone, and followed all the main events through. I'd not seen it before.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/jan/25/brighton-dreamers-miracle-fa-cup
Of course. I'm not saying forget it happened. It's a big part of our history and the rise from there to now is incredible.

Like I said, I understand 'why' fans boycott it but it's only a few nationwide companies that aren't related to our club or Archer or Belotti. They're just shops/restaurants and like someone previously stated, if we had stayed at the Goldstone, there's no guarantee there would still be a ground there with the modern stadiums we have now.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Of course. I'm not saying forget it happened. It's a big part of our history and the rise from there to now is incredible.

Like I said, I understand 'why' fans boycott it but it's only a few nationwide companies that aren't related to our club or Archer or Belotti. They're just shops/restaurants and like someone previously stated, if we had stayed at the Goldstone, there's no guarantee there would still be a ground there with the modern stadiums we have now.

I wasn't getting at you or disagreeing!! I genuinely just found that article tonight..... and really enjoyed reading it.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
To me, regardless of the hideously ugly buildings that are all-too-visible now, that location, the site itself, can only exist in the present day as a desperately poignant grave. It's the final resting place for a collection of thousands of emotions, dreams and memories of wonderful times, spent with family and friends, that will never die.

If any good can have possibly come from those shocking events of 20 years ago, it was surely the opportunity that suddenly presented itself to band together with fellow supporters and fight for the future soul of the Albion. None of us back then can have envisaged the amazing transformation that would ultimately bring us to our present position, and our incredible new home.

I could no more enter that site than I would be prepared to trample over the grave of a much-loved friend.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Stanley was a genial mental pisshead, as I found out one evening at his club near Angmering. Spent whole evening out of his brains, singing loudly out of tune and taking his trousers down in the middle of his restaurant - a total embarrassment. Remember Doncaster away? To be honest I really don’t think that he had anything between the ears and wouldn’t need much manipulation by two weasels of the standing of Archer and Bellotti to go along with their plans. I am not defending him in the slightest but find it strange that someone so apparently a fan, which I firmly think he was, could change into the pariah that he became.
Stuff the lot of them.

Indeed. But it's gone . . . finished . . . over.

We won the war, now it's time we got on with out own lives. Time to move on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here